1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"i don't like it"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MerBear, Jan 28, 2013.

1. MerBear

okay so i was telling my friend (who's religious) about how men have the upper hand , like how they are naturally taller than women but not in all cases and how there are more men then women but then she was all like ....it was totally random but she was like

"and then god made them and they turned gay and lesbian" and i was like quiet and then she was like
    "now we have gays and lesbians and its just...i don't like it" and her face cringed....

and now...i was thinking about telling her and some other about my same sex crushes but i can't because of that comment

2. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    ugh. l don't even like to talk about this because being an atheist myself l'm going to say some things that won't sound offensive to me but could be offensive to Christians and otherwise. And l don't dislike all Christians so l don't like to say things that alienate them.

But l really don't get it. Especially the fixation with what men and women are, respectively in the conservative Christian culture.

What a man "is", what a woman is, etc. And hearing about God making them and their turning away from God.

What is the obsession with that? lf a person has such a strong conviction in what God "made" then they basically believe he made everything else, too. Why aren't these people busy eradicating every thing else on Earth they don't "like"?

Some do, actually. Or at least attempt to live life in consistency with what they feel is "god" like, l admire those types.

But largely the fire and brimstone focus on the "man and the woman" is conditioning.

People will honor the disgust for men and women doing something "unnatural" and ignore every other aspect of what they should intuitively know is "unchristian"(but they don't know because they don't even believe what they're saying).

Because of some tired ass misinterpreted scripture from the before time.

Translation: because they don't actually like gay people anyway and it's easier to pretend to believe the non sense in the bible than justify what the really think.

#2 OMGWTFBBQ, Jan 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  3. MerBear

i'm an atheist too.
    she's already asked me if i'm a lesbian about 3 times so far and already said to my face being gay is a choice and the whole time i stayed quiet

4. Divopix

Wow, this. I agree so much.

I don't like that people will automatically change their opinion on you because you're gay/lesbian and they believe so much in God. I don't see how some people can let something they can't even prove dictate their life (not intended to offend anyone, just my opinion).

I don't see why you keep her as a friend if she isn't supportive. Are their other aspects of your friendship that you value? I couldn't put up with someone like that.

5. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    l would either cut her out forever or be super obnoxious and send her TONS of helpful links of orgs she can join and several suggestions for her to improve the condition of the world and undo all that God dislikes.

Since she is a good Christian :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. MerBear

hahaha. yeah
    i mean she's ...nice and funny sometimes but really annoying too

7. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    Yep. Basically the fact that there are gay and lesbian christians means there is room for interpretation in the scripture, l don't think LGBT people who believe in God are self-hating or anything.

But there is NO other reason other than having a specific issue with gay people that the majority wouldn't attempt to revamp their views.

8. ForceAndVerve

Couldn't have put it better myself:thumbsup:

9. MerBear

i agree too :slight_smile:

i never had to deal with this before actually

10. Kay

Kay Guest

When she tells you it's a choice ask her when she chose to be straight? Her question makes the statement that we are all bisexual (which is fine) and we have to chose what we want sexually. Tell her that and see the smoke pouring from her ears. LOL

---------- Post added 28th Jan 2013 at 06:21 PM ----------

Yes if there are LGBTQ Christians something is misinterpreted by someone.

11. Thieves

Thieves Guest

Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, this is why I will most likely never be religious (spirituality is a different thing), and why I have an extremely hard time understanding religion when it comes to attempting to patrol other people's sex and love lives. I try to be respectful of other people's beliefs as much as I can, but it's incredibly hard when many are so gung-ho to hold onto ancient beliefs, particularly ones that clearly discriminate against certain people who are otherwise good. And yes, I purposely used the word 'discriminate', because that's what it is.

Because a text tells you something like that, means that it's really true or that you should follow it without truly thinking to yourself whether it's right or not? Personally, I don't care one bit if some overlooking force of nature -- i.e., a god -- has told me that genuinely loving and caring for someone of the same sex (and also sharing that love with them in a sexual way) is wrong and something that shouldn't be done. That goes for any god, not just Christian. I don't care if that god is actually real and decides to come down to Earth right now and tell me personally to my face that something like same-sex love is not right and forbidden. Nothing in the entire world will make me think that someone's love -- in whatever shape or form -- is somehow unequal or wrong just because it's different from others around them, and just because it's written in a holy text. It's just so disrespectful and contradictory to me, it really gets me fired up sometimes.

#11 Thieves, Jan 28, 2013
  12. Shadowsettler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't bother arguing with the religious anymore. It's "racism" and nothing more, regardless of what the bible says. There's absolutely no excuse for it and you can't expect people to let that go if they don't want to, because they won't see it in themselves unless they really want to... I don't know why but people simply hate and I wish it would stop.

#12 Shadowsettler, Jan 28, 2013
  13. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So she's dismissing an entire community because she "dislikes it"? How silly. I can't dismiss the existence of math just because I don't like it!

14. MerBear

yeah , she's not comfortable with it.

15. Shadowsettler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i'm sorry about your friend. v_V

16. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    George Carlin said it best: "If you could reason with religious people, there wouldn't be any religious people."* It's a system based on accepting as truth a few ideas that break all experience and theory. However, the times of totally accepted bigotry are waning. Even the churches will concede that gayness isn't godlessness.

*I personally believe in God, but not so much the religious establishment. So don't mistake me for an atheist by this quote :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: