1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm starting to do the straight thing

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Skittles Hugger, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Okay so I'm doing the straight thing. okay so you know how a heterosexual person just doesn't go around saying oh I'm straight so I'm not telling anyone abut my sexuality. Instead lets say I'm talking about my girlfriend* and act as if it normal for a Chica to go out with another Chica. Anyhow do any of you guys do that?

*i don't have a gf that was just an example

2. redstormrising

my first day of law school, i met a guy who did that, just mentioned his boyfriend in passing like it was no big deal, and that's exactly how everyone treated it. i didn't know i was gay then, but the memory always stuck with me. that's how i deal with it myself now, and i've never had anyone react badly.

3. FallenAngel

FallenAngel Guest

I think it's awesome. I just wish I had the guts to do it! Lol I'm coming out slow and steady.

4. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    :/ l can understand these words individually but somehow together they make my brain feel confused and assaulted.

edit: everyone is saying it's awesome, il'll just 2nd that.

5. Ianthe

That is the best way, especially with new people. Just act like it's common knowledge, and soon it will be. And since you haven't asked for their opinions, they will usually keep it to themselves if they have a problem with it. If you don't ask for their approval, they will not think they have the right to disapprove, for the most part.

It's different with family, of course.

6. redstormrising

This. I sort of consider it as using peer pressure to my advantage. A lot of people will just follow your lead on how you approach a subject, so if you act like it's no big deal, they will too. And when no one else voices opposition to you, the people who might have otherwise said something will often bite their tongues, sensing that at their viewpoint is in the minority and might expose them to attack.

7. musicgeek13

musicgeek13 Guest

I recently decided to do that and so far it has been such a nonissue. People are generally just like "oh yeah I figured" or they nod and move on. I still haven't had to do the whole sit down "I'm gay" thing.

8. FJ Cruiser

It works for me generally except for the occasional dense guy friend. I would have entire conversations about guys to one of my friends within earshot of them, and it would still go over their heads until I actually came out and said "I'm gay if you haven't put the puzzle together." There haven't been any issues, even with people that I might expect to be a bit homophobic.

9. Thatoneguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    After I told my two closest friends and my family this is how I have been handling it. Its really effective, If I don't make a big deal out of it, no one else does

10. FruitFly

I do. With the exception of the wobbles that led me to join this site I've been pretty happy with this. Sexuality is normal, and I do tend to lean towards believing that no one can accept that it is normal until we accept it as being completely normal. Or something.

11. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, that's about what I do. Some people stop me and ask, others just let it go.

12. aeva

That's generally how I am, although right now it's be ex-girlfriend for me. A lot of the time people will give me a somewhat quizzical look or ask and I'll have to explain a little more, but I've never had a bad reaction. I think it's partially because I have a quite feminine appearance- people just don't expect me to be gay! Sometimes it'll even take a minute or two they realize what I'd said and they'll have to backtrack. I find it pretty funny.