1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice from someone younger than you

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Divopix, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Divopix

I feel awkward whenever I say something to someone in the Advice section because of my age.(I'm 15)

I mean, I think some of the posts are people worrying a lot and not really using common sense, but I feel like they'd read my comment and disregard it because of my age.

So if you saw someone who was younger than you and they gave you a piece of advice or tried to help you on the forum, would you listen to them?

#1 Divopix, Jan 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  2. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    pppppfft. l am in there assuming they ARE younger than me LOL. Which l really think most are. Seems teen-early 20s in there for the most part.Sometimes l don't get that and am shocked by the posts.

edit: l was talking about the anonymous section.

3. inthedark4eva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    age doesn't define intelligence or wisdom

4. Divopix

That's a good way to look at it! I just wouldn't want people to read something I took a while to type out for them and have them think they're wiser than me and choose to ignore my post :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. MixedNutz

Nor experience.

Advice comes from all three of these, you can be 75 and not have good advice to give.

6. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know from personal experience that the older I get, the less wise I feel. So yes I listen to advice from younger folk. They seem to know more than I do... especially little kids. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. MerBear

I FEEL THE SAME WAY! omg. too unreal. your not alone

8. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    A few times l haven't noticed a persons's age until later or it wasn't listed before and l'll notice they're 14 or 15 and think back to their posts.

There is that initial reaction of "why did l ever listen to this person" but mostly not. l'm not asking for advice that's going to have a potentially devastating effect on my life most of the time here and if l am l screening it carefully lol.

So mostly l will just roll with whatever sounds informed and insightful and disregard age.

BUT, l will say l don't feel like most teens really care about what the older people (maybe even over 25) have to say sometimes.

9. inthedark4eva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I almost added that in. Someone could live to be 100 and not have anywhere near the life experience that a 13 year old might have had.

So yeah...age means nothing

10. Divopix

I love reading the threads by people 25+. Those are the ones with the really intriguing thread titles and really interesting posts.

11. Klutz

I tend to assume that people younger than me are more idealistic and optimistic (like I was a few years ago). You see the world through a different filter. Isn't the point of asking for advise about getting different viewpoints? I'd listen. If I follow it is based upon my own views and whatnot. But your advise would be valid.

12. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I feel as if I have good advice to give but yet again I'm only 17 so I don't know shit. Maybe I should wait until I'm like 20 to say anything worth while, lol.

13. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    This is how l feel too. lt's not bad, but what l meant is that l don't think younger people are always going to listen to the older people when they sound more cautious or jaded. Which l try not to be for the most part.

l don't know, l appreciate idealism in some aspects but for serious issues l want the staunch realist answer lol.

14. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Young people can be wiser than older people, but generally speaking, the older somebody is, the less likely they're talking out their ass. It's best to stick to backing up advice with specific evidence until you can detect a pattern strong enough to generalize.

Take for example my favorite piece of advice for struggling with crushes, "Go for it asap." The reason I tell people this is because I DIDN'T do it when it counted, and it's one of my biggest life regrets. If you haven't been in the same situation, you might not understand the feelings involved and could easily lead someone astray with the best of intentions.

15. Divopix

And that is the best advice! Heh.

16. ForceAndVerve

Ye I'm a little cautious when giving advice as well, not because of my age, but because of my lack of experience with regards to the topics people need advice on. Usually I just offer them advice based off what I would do if I were in the same situation.

So no, I would not discount someone's advice based on age. If you have the experience or know-how then age doesn't matter. :slight_smile:

17. Klutz

Yup, I agree. I think it is us elderly that need to worry about the whippersnappers not listening to older people's advise. Kids these days, phhht. :icon_wink.

I agree about this in some cases, too, like politics.

18. sugarcubeigloo

Sure! The whole reason for coming to the advice part of the forum is to get a bunch of different perspectives, including those who are younger. Granted, not everyone's advice may be what that person is looking for, but at that one time, your advice might be it. You have a valid point-of-view, don't be afraid to offer it. :slight_smile:

19. wilted

A part of Arizona where it actually snows!
    Of course I listen to advice from people younger than me. Just because you're 15 doesn't mean that you don't have valid advice. In fact, sometimes younger people have a better perspective on the issue. In my opinion, the age of the person giving the advice does not matter.

20. IanGallagher

I think the young have something to teach the old. And the old have something to teach the young. I've found it to be a really interesting symbiotic relationship thing. The old typically bring experience but have ill views from hardships, the young bring energy and new hope that the old have lost. I've known kids as young as 5 who have taught me things that I lost in the past.