1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unconditional Love

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Shadowsettler, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Shadowsettler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's a saying "People who love themselves unconditionally love others easily", but if that really is true then why do some of those people still hate LGBTs? Most of them love themselves unconditionally yet they still find LGBTQ people to be the scum of the earth (religious in particular, but some secular)... WHY???

Someone or something is wrong here.

2. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've never heard that saying before... :confused:

I think that people might get "unconditional love" and arrogance mixed up. Arrogance is having a high opinion of yourself at the expense of others. Example, someone may know the bible in and out, but they don't understand not to let their knowledge of it overshadow their compassion towards others, which is what the bible really says we should do.

Unconditional love is accepting your own flaws as well as the flaws of those around you. Example: volunteering your time feeding the homeless even though you've had a terrible day....

I think all that was just sort of a rant so I apologize... >.>

3. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    l love myself unconditionally and am more inclined toward finding faults in others lol >.>

reason 37634643 proverbs and sayings ARE WHACK :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

loving yourself unconditionally is probably closer to arrogance like she said. lt's not realistic, if you really never have self doubts you're probably closer to the darkside.

#3 OMGWTFBBQ, Jan 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  4. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah and I'm super hard on myself and am not very judgmental at all... so I don't know who invented this saying LoL

5. Shadowsettler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think loving yourself unconditionally means that you never have doubts, you just have self respect and always forgive your own faults.

6. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    well. l do. But maybe too easily sometimes (forgive myself lol). And then it's after the laborious process of actually identifying said faults lol.

7. Shadowsettler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  8. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
  9. Kay

Kay Guest

Hmmmm i have not heard that saying either. I do know this that all love begins with accepting self. If we don't accept ourselves how can we accept anyone else. Unconditional love, I would pay money to see anyone who really does love themselves unconditionally. The second we put on that dress and say wow look at that gut i need to loss a few pounds we no longer love ourselves unconditionally. The moment we decide we are not a great runner or someone is better we have doubts about self an lose the edge on that love. If we judge ourselves harshly we lose that love.
    But hey no one loves unconditionally no matter what they say. We may not know why but we are all in the same boat broken and damaged good. We are faulty and disassembled.

---------- Post added 29th Jan 2013 at 01:11 AM ----------

i think you are speaking of an ego trip. We do not always forgive our flaws and failings. Many people spend years in therapy because they can't love themselves or forgive their own flaws. Unconditional love I do not believe we can get there from here.

10. Shadowsettler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think self respect and forgiving yourself can be counted as an "ego trip". -_-

11. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    l think the tendency is to lean one way or the other.

The healthiest person probably loves themselves unconditionally but it's not born out of arrogance.

For me, it might be more of a mix of being arrogant and oddly being sort of in different to myself at the same time.

Like to me, low self esteem can even feel like self obsession, even if you hate yourself, you're still thinking about yourself all the time and people can sense it about you.

When l swing to the arrogant side, it can be just as unhealthy but l ultimately become less self obsessed because l'm just not thinking about my faults, not looking for approval, but not necessarily just thinking about my good qualities (all the time lol).

And l tend to be more motivated which ultimately brings some kind of measurable achievement which i turn is a reason to have real self worth and not just baseless arrogance.

But if l have to be neurotic l would still go with the option that benefits me most xD

/rant ception over

12. Kay

Kay Guest

Hmmm I can certainly see self-respect as an ego trip. i can see how self esteem can be an ego trip. Self Esteem used to have a negative connotation. Either way unconditional love does not exist without and overinflated ego and that would crush the idea proposed. Arrogance does not love but worships self.

13. Shadowsettler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I suppose pride would fall into that category?

---------- Post added 29th Jan 2013 at 02:53 AM ----------

I think the word you're thinking of is egotistical. Someone who boasts all of the time. If you're not boasting, you don't show your ego, and that makes all of the difference.

You can't be counted as egotistical, or having an ego-trip if you don't profess it. Self-respect is synonymous with self-esteem: same definition, just different words.

All four of them involve the 'self' but on much different levels.

#13 Shadowsettler, Jan 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  14. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Had to correct that... :confused:

15. Shadowsettler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    the bible only says for those who believe and who follow the laws correctly, and gays do not inherit the kingdom of heaven, but for anyone who believes the bible..... then who the hell is to say that they're wrong for secretly despising us? If god does, so should they.

#15 Shadowsettler, Jan 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  16. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I believe that Jesus would be fighting against the Church's persecution of the LGBT community. Actually I know it, because He found the Pharisees and religious leaders absolutely disgraceful. They did everything "by the book" but it overshadowed their compassion for humanity and became too habitual. Jesus hung out with prostitutes and tax collectors (who stole often from the needy) and helped women when they were mistreated. He saved a woman's life who had cheated on her husband. He saved her from being stoned and forgave her. He had enough power to save her from those in charge of stoning... Just a humble man on the streets in their eyes! Because they all sought His guidance.

Jesus doesn't take about homosexuality yet He goes on about taking care not to judge others. That's pretty much the majority of what Jesus teaches... not judging others but helping them.

17. Kay

Kay Guest

Shadowsettler I have read the bible and nowhere does it state god despises gays. I would like to see the chapter and verse and book that this is in.

#17 Kay, Jan 29, 2013
  18. lxlJDlxl

I do not believe unconditional love exists in anyone of human beings, though.

If we are going to be basing our answers on our understanding of the gospel here,

I'mma to this
    especially the bold part.

Evey one is given a just chance to enter the Kingdom of Heaven. So long as you believe and your have done good deeds. For Faith without good works is dead and good works without faith is dead. Since reading the Holy Bible, the way that I understood it in order to enter the kingdom of heaven, based on the verses, We are going to be judged according to our faith and good deeds. By Jesus Christ, the righteous judge. For God has assigned Jesus Christ as the righteous judge.

---------- Post added 29th Jan 2013 at 01:07 AM ----------

#18 lxlJDlxl, Jan 29, 2013
  19. FruitFly

Honestly, given that I have seen far too many interpretations and applications of various scripture in regards to whether or not homosexuality is actually condemned I find it sad that anyone who proclaims themselves to be Christian to despise those who are homosexual. Depending on your version of the Bible, or how someone opts to translate the original, meanings change and are lost. There is much in the Bible that was condemned, and there is much that was accepted. In both cases many of these things have been dropped as culturally irrelevant in the modern world and a sign of the times that the authors of the texts making up the Bible lived in.

If someone read the Bible and comes to the conclusion that homosexuality is wrong then the thing they are to despise is homosexuality, not homosexuals, and even then I think the application of the word despise is used to justify hate. Often I see nothing but cherry picking, taking verses and ignoring the context in which they had been written or to whom the message was directed. They ignore later chapters, they ignore the wider message, because who cares for such things when you have a point to make? It is why I dislike people demanding scripture, or placing it out there. For me you cannot understand the message of the Bible without reading entire sections of it, without taking it as a whole. When people provide me with bundles of scripture I ask them how it all ties together, because I could go through any book and find a dozen or so verses which seem to indicate one thing, but if I read the entire chapter and then the whole book I would perhaps have a different picture. The same applies to the Bible, whether it contains the word of God or words inspired by Him people read it, people apply it, and people are dreadful at being completely objective about such things.

As for why ... people are fearful of that which they do not comprehend. They hate that which is made out to be bad, which continues a cycle of people who do not really know why they hate but they know why the people before them hated and that is why they must hate. When it is ingrained into people that homosexuality is wrong they take it to be wrong, when it is seen as a sign of sin then it is taken as sin. The secular world does not escape religious influences any more than religion escapes those from the secular world, everything feeds off of each other and it generates a feeling of unease about something which people lack knowledge of.

And when I say knowledge, I mean actual knowledge. Not what a preacher says because he's amazing at cherry picking scripture, not what a family relative says because it's what he believes, but knowledge. Sexuality is a natural part of being human, but people are rarely taught this. They are taught about sex (sometimes) but sexuality is something that escapes the majority. How can you love what you fear? What you know nothing of? What has been mocked for generations?

Looking back through the decades nothing has changed, not really. Perhaps in some areas it is no longer criminalised, maybe in others it is being viewed as growing closer to normality, but at the core of it people are people. Some people hate, and as we flock together for a sense of solidarity so do they. My father hates, he says vile things, but he does so because this is how he was brought up. He does so because the subsection of society he lives in would accept no less.

To change the way people view homosexuality is, unfortunately, not just about love and hate, but changing societal perceptions. In order for change to occur so much the society, and whilst much as been done since the early days long before many of the names bandied about now were even born, society is still adapting. When you live in a society which has largely been influenced by religious teachings of a certain kind it is difficult to let go of such influences, especially when they validate uncertainty/disgust some feel about behaviours/love that is strange to them?

20. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Never heard that saying before, not too sure if that's true. I generally find that people who love themselves unconditionally are often rather narcissistic or at the very least selfish in some way. Usually you'll find everyone hates themselves or something about themselves in some way.

Personally, there are many aspects of myself that I hate, and I find it extremely easy to love and accept everyone. I always put others needs way before my own, not too sure if it's a good thing or not cause it usually ends up in me getting hurt, but that's how it is.

All the best.