1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to everyone

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Boyd1206, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Boyd1206

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    So a good amount of people know I like girls. But I want everyone that i know or knows me to know, like, I want to have a way where I'm not afraid to admit to it without being judged or anything. By teachers or students or peers. I just want a life where I'm accepted but I feel I don't have that because my mom doesn't really accept me. I want to be able to be proud of who I am and live every day like its my last. It's really confusing and frustrating.. I just need some confidence or something. Any advice maybe?..

2. Reptillian

I wouldn't recommend coming out to everyone. That's just inviting yourself to attacks. Just saying.

3. Minx

What worked for me early on, was being open and honest with anyone who would ask, but keeping it to myself. (I love my privacy.)

If they don't ask, I don't see a reason in being candid and letting them know right away. It's none of their business, if they can't even muster the courage to ask.

In my opinion at least. lol

4. BudderMC

I disagree.

Coming out to anyone invites yourself to potential attacks. Does that mean you shouldn't come out ever? Sure. But people do it anyways. Why? Because the risk is worth the potential reward: the ability to be honest, the ability to date people you like, etc.

Coming out to everyone increases the number of people who will potentially not like you for being LGBT, but it also gives the world a giant "I really don't care what you think". And for most people, barring extreme homophobes, bullying loses most of it's appeal when the victim doesn't feel like a victim.

That said OP, being "out", in my opinion, is really not caring about what other people think. That doesn't mean you have to explicitly tell everyone that you're not straight, but I think it's more a mentality that if someone were to ask, you could honestly answer with little hesitation. If you're not comfortable with that prospect, then there's no need to rush into this. Take things one step at a time.

5. Reptillian

Well, risk v. potential rewards kind of depends on your personality. One should assess the risks/potential awards. If I am gay and I am the way that I am today, I wouldn't come out because of why, there's no benefits all out of my cold and solitary personality (Which means absolutely no dates or sex as I wouldn't even be interested.) other than to be honest, but even so, as a misanthrope, why should I care and they care? Maybe coming out for everyone would work for the OP, but I don't recommend it.