1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Let's assume that you can choose to be gay.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Alexander, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Alexander

DISCLAIMER: This is assuming that there are either mental or physical things we can do to change our sexuality, which I don't think is possible at all. :icon_wink

If we all have the choice to be gay, don't we also have the choice to be straight? Why would we choose to be gay (what are the advantages)? What makes being straight the "right" choice? Discuss.

ahh and please avoid turning this into a completely religious argument, thanks :slight_smile:

2. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, most people who say that being gay is a choice do also say being straight is a choice. It seems a bit silly to me though as the only choice we have is whether to act on our feelings. We don't have complete control over them.

It's society that says being straight is the norm. I don't think it is just religion that affacts how people see homosexuality as half the idiots who are homophobic aren't capable of even reading a book, so the bible is out. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: People just decide to be afraid and against things they don't understand. It's a bit stupid really because they usually end up wasting so much time being against it when they could either try and learn to understand it or just ignore it.

I personally think people who are racist, homophobic etc are an underclass group seen as they don't have basic manners in society.

3. pirateninja

Man has penis. Woman has vagina. Penis goes into vagina. Baby is born. The species repopulates.

Unfortunately, that is nature. And although nature doesn't account for personal feelings, it gives the homophobes a damn good argument for "straight is right".

However, in this word of over 6 billion residents (and still growing!) because babies are being born more rapidly, either due to people having sex younger or lack of contraception in many parts, what the world currently needs is a load of gay couples willing to adopt, or else the "breeders" will continue to overpopulate our planet and fill up our orphanages :grin:

However, many people currently still abide by the "penis, vagina, repopulate" rule. Because they're idiots who rely on primitive rule in a rapidly changing world.

4. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Choice?! I spent 2 years trying to choose to be straight!! Did it work? No. I'm as gay as ever. And besides, even if straightness was a choice, I wouldn't choose it!! (No offence boys) I'm happy being gay.

5. pirateninja

I have to say, if I'd have known from the start that my mom and my friends would be completely cool with it, then if it was a choice, I would have chosen it. Nearly every straight man I know is an asshole, and I couldn't imagine the thought of being attracted to them.

Penis? Blech. Women are so much nicer :grin:

6. Chamber of Life

I think when people say that gays or lesbians choose to be gay that’s straight up bull! Before I came to terms with my homosexuality I tried to hard to "choose" to be straight and guess what............ Still gay and always will be until the day I'm six feet under (great show by the way) or in one of those vase thingies. You can choose some people are born heterosexual and some are born homosexual. OH yeah and you can be born being attracted to both.(!)

7. Ty

Ty Guest

So.... every gay man and every lesbian woman partner up! :grin:

8. Psychedelic Bookmarks

If it was a choice, the only reason to choose to be gay would be because you were intimidated by the other sex. Or, perhaps, you wanted to live an "alternative" lifestyle and have a social life with non-mainstream people.

Choices to be straight abound, however - mainly because that's the norm and the easier life it entails.