1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lesbian vs gay men over insecurity over stds?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Yogabear, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Yogabear

Yogabear Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey!

Is there any sense of invulnerability with lesbian women over gay men on the prevalency rates of stds e.g. hiv, aids or etc? I'm curious as I'm new on the scene just am curious cause some attitudes point in that direction. I could be wrong just that some people might think that women areless likely than men to get it cause of their form of sex or whatever. For example, women could say tht "Its better for her for you to admit your gay" to save the girls life rather than altruism of her or him. This issue is especially true of bisexuals cause of some rates reported for infedelity in the LGTB community by Yahoo News indicating that its higher in he LGTB community than the whole population. Thanks for your honest opinions and I don't mean to cause any in-fighting on this issue.

hugs,
    Peter

2. FruitFly

This subject is actually one of my potential project titles, if it gets approved since sexual health as a whole is kind of pushing it in terms of relatedness to my degree. I kind of hope I can, I think it would be an interesting study.

From my own personal perspective prevention of STDs in sexual minority females (as some of the scientific papers like to group us) are often overlooked as the risk is perceived (and in some cases is) lower than for those who engage in penetrative sex that involves a penis. I know I was appalled when a friend commented that although she always used protection with men she had never even thought of using protection with the women she slept with, but then it's hard to escape the thought of disease transmission when that's basically what you've been studying for the last 5 months D:.

3. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    The rates were lower among lesbians than any other group including straight people years ago.

My concern would still be HPV, which l already have one strain of. As well as herpes(which l do NOT have, lol) You can pick both up from anyone and especially still HPV, even when it isn't warts. There's no escaping it.

But...l especially won't be engaging in anal with a lady lol and have never done so in my life anyway xD
    and the more common STDs that aren't HIV are a little harder to spread this way.

should always be done so with protection.

#3 OMGWTFBBQ, Jan 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  4. Yogabear

Yogabear Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I guess lesbians seem to have this like arrogance like they cannot contract stds cause ofthe nature of their sexual relations. The irony is that if your lesbian partner cheats with let's say another girl who is bisexual that she could perhaps pass it onto you right? Honestly to me that bisexuals are perhaps the most dangerous element in the LGBTQ community. I don't mean that to sound deragatory or whatever just that there is a level of deception to them right or no?

I'm surprised that the LGBTQ community doesn't take this thread that seriously. It seems like denial to me or something. There must be tension in e LGBTQ community inside of the group in this arena. I just feel that perhaps gay males are more insecure than they put on because of having higher rates of stds or cancer perhaps (anecdotes) than do the rest except bisexuals perhaps? This is an intriguing a piece to me but is ignored for preferences on hair colour?