1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UK vs US coming out?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by CinePhys, Jan 30, 2013.

?

UK or US, and Good or Bad?

1. Came out in the UK - Good experience(s)

12 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Came out in the UK - Bad experience(s)

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  3. Came out in the US - Good experience(s)

19 vote(s)
    52.8%
  4. Came out in the US - Bad experiencs(s)

4 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. CinePhys

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is purely for my own interest, and for anyone else's, but It would appear, at least, that coming out in the UK is somewhat easier that coming out in the US, for reasons like religiosity being less in the UK, or less serious at least.

So; Coming out in the US - Good or Bad experience?
    Coming out in the UK - Good or Bad experience?

I'm from the UK and all my experiences have been good, and I'm out to everyone I have any kind of regular contact with.

2. Reptillian

Find survey plox or make up a large-sample survey for a better answer unless you're looking for just the ones on the forum.

3. pretty sure op is only after our answers :slight_smile:

but i came out in the uk good experience sorta. well as good as it was gunna get. cant say it was really bad.

4. leer

came out in the uk to a good reception better than expected but I still hated everyone knowing for a few months

5. Harve

Came out in the UK, wasn't a huge deal. (or at least that's how I like to see things)

6. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I came out in the US, some people were ok with it, others were not. So, I feel like there needs to be a half and half option.

7. FJ Cruiser

I'd venture to say it's roughly equal, we just hear about more problems in the US because there are more people living in conservative rural areas of the US than the entire population of the UK.

That said, the only bad experience I've had related to my coming out has been with my brother (He doesn't judge, he just maintains it's a lifestyle choice as part of his faulty rationale for his use of narcotics. *rolleyes*), and my hometown is statistically one of the most conservative cities in the nation.

#7 FJ Cruiser, Jan 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  8. Nepenthe

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm in the US. No bad experiences so far.

9. LionsAndShadows

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I came out in the UK and a generally positive experience.
    It certainly true that UK society has moved on enormously from where it was thirty years ago.

10. CTJ

CTJ

I've only had good reactions, but i'm not completely out and only told those i could trust. So i might have a bad reaction yet, possibly from my parents :/

11. aeva

I've come out to people on both sides of the pond (I've lived in both places/have family in both places), and both sets of experiences have been good. My family and friends are all quite liberal anyway though...

12. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

A bit too general of a statement...the U.S. is a much larger and more diverse country, some U.S. states are larger than the entire U.K., you can't say there's only one general "U.S." experience of coming out. Nor can you say that for the U.K.

If you're from a rural small-town in Mississippi or Nebraska, then yes, it's probably going to be tougher to come out than if you lived in London. But that experience would be very different if you were coming out in say New York or San Francisco. Generally the most tolerant areas of the U.S. are in big cities and college towns, and near the coasts, particularly the Northeast and the West Coast. New England and the Pacific Northwest are the least religious regions of the United States, and are also thus the most gay-friendly. The South is the most religious and most anti-gay region.

13. Lewis

I'm from the UK and people around my age and younger seem to be really open minded regarding sexuality. It's just not an issue anymore...

I love my country for that very reason, it's an odd place, but everyone accepts each other for who they are.

14. jsmurf

Perhaps, but accent-wise, England alone (excluding Wales and Scotland) is more diverse than the US. Makes sense, because they're five times as old.

---------- Post added 30th Jan 2013 at 02:22 PM ----------

I love the UK too, and would consider moving there one day.

15. Shiny Espeon

I'm not completely out yet, but I haven't had any bad experiences yet.

16. jsmurf

And so will we between 2013 and 2040. 2/3rds of Americans from my generation are not that religious, and an overwhelming 70% report supporting stuff like gay marriage and legalized pot.

The GOP is destined to become a regional party, confined predominantly to the South and some sparsely-populated areas of the Midwest.

17. CinePhys

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In response to reptillian, I really only wanted to know about the people on the forums :slight_smile: I know about sample sizes and how they are of no significance under a certain size!

18. Harve

Oh, I doubt it. Its current views won't continue unless it's willing to sacrifice its chances of winning an election, it will just always be to the right of the Democrats and potentially plagued by its past. I simply don't see another party replacing it.