1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Biased dressing: clothing coded stereotypes

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Deaf Not Blind, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Deaf Not Blind

okay, some girl on EC once told me she didn't think plaid shirts are a problem for anybody to wear. Well, once again, I was told be a lesbian that flannel plaid shirts are LESBIAN. Yeah, I showed her a pix of a male superman tshirt that they had a green plaid flannel shirt over and she beamed that i liked lesbian clothing. Um, no. I am a farm bot. Actually my grandpa and gramma wore it hunting, fishing and on our cattle farm. I grew up in a rural area where all guys are red-necks and we wear that and boots to school! so...

now I can't wear any plaid button up shirts i gotta look at them and walk away! :'( Why? Cuz like the girl said, it has been adopted as a code, a signal of lesbianism. Damn them! Women, go code word silk shirts and gimmee my stuff back!!

but, I am curious...

What other CODED CLOTHING do you know of this strong, where if you wear it, you get cast into a labeled box?

2. FranklinK

Guys that wear extremely tight shirts that are a size too small for them are coded as gay.

3. ForceAndVerve

The one thing that gets my alarm bells ringing is scarfs. Or tops with a fake scarf built into them.

4. Deaf Not Blind

both above...yup. i seen a lot of scarves on the campus, and one really gay guy has a tight shirt, super skinny bright jeans, and anbandana in yellow on his head like a sweatband. (and looks odd)

btw, i like fitted (not tight) shirts...but most transguys try to hide figure with big boxy almost gangsta size clothing.

5. Minx

Really? I always think they don't know how to do their laundry properly. :confused: :lol:

I always hear that skinny jeans on a guy are considered coded gay.

6. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

Girls who wear combat boots, army pants and tank tops are generally seen as gay

7. Level75

Definitely scarves. I see a guy with a scarf...and a decorative scarf at that...and I immediately begin to wonder.

And it's not clothes, but if I see a guy with any hairstyle intentionally groomed against gravity, you're gay.

#7 Level75, Jan 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  8. Xochipilli

Haha, that's prettyy funny. :lol:

9. FranklinK

lol

---------- Post added 30th Jan 2013 at 03:51 PM ----------

Also, guys with a lot of rings and arm jewelry are gay.

10. Divopix

Or hipsters :wink:

11. CTJ

CTJ

I've never understood scarves meaning gay. If its cold, im gonna wear a scarf. I've never heard anyone outside of the internet to even think of scarves as gay, umbrellas on the otherhand. For some reason ive heard several people remark that guys using umbrellas are gay. I just dont want to get wet!

12. Minx

I agree, but it probably depends on the region. Scarves are popular in the u.k. from what I've seen.

As for umbrellas... I can't help it if I have lil ducks on it! :frowning2:

13. leer

stating the bleeding obvious hear :roflmao:

---------- Post added 30th Jan 2013 at 10:02 PM ----------

guys with a bottle of beer and a straw

14. MichaelB

lol...

I'm sorry but most of these are bare funny and just not true.

1) if you're cold, you're gunna wear a scarf no? What does that impact on your sexual orientation? Really?! (I personally don't wear scarfs because I can never be arsed, but I do have alot of straight bloke friends who do wear scarfs in the winter...)

2) All this tight fitted clothing = gay. You looked at the population? Really? The entire scene is decked with skinny jeans and skinny t-shirts. Heterosexual as well. Especially skinny jeans. I'm the only one out of my group, of 8 blokes (me being the only 'queer oneone) and 9 girls, who doesn't wear skin tight jeans (but still skinny, just a size too big so I can actually move).

I literally don't know a single bloke my age that doesn't own a pair of really skinny jeans. Are they all gay? WHY DID NO-ONE TELL ME THIS

3) Rings and jewelry is again, bullshit. I wear 4 rings every day because each ring was given to me in a meaningful way. Last time I checked, sentimental value wasn't a homo phenomenon... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

And I wear 6 necklaces every day because, again, they have a purpose and meaning to myself (my religion). So my religion and what's expected of you to wear apparently made me, and 500,000 thousand odd people, gay? :confused:

Not gunna lie I dislike these threads and really don't see the point in them. It does nothing but homogenize and influence people to dress a certain way in fear of looking like something that they're uncomfortable with being. Ergo, we get straight men who would like to wear x item, but avoids it in fear of looking queer. Not brilliant if you ask me, but what ever.

I might make my straight friends read this, or at the very least say to them that they're gay because they fulfill the criteria of alot of traits listed. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

#14 MichaelB, Jan 30, 2013
  15. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

European countries in general are more open and less judgmental about male fashion choices.

Poor American straight guys can't wear scarves, skinny jeans, any tight clothing, any bright colors, any fancy hats or coats or glasses or anything designer, nor can they carry an umbrella or handbag or shoulder bag, etc., without having their masculinity and sexuality called into question. I feel sorry for them. I guess that is actually one of the perks of gayness, the freedom to dress however one wishes without regard to societal demands.

16. ForceAndVerve

I'm all for wearing a scarf when its cold. But I was referring to guys who wear a scarf as a fashion accessory. IE, they wear it indoors or when it's not cold.

17. jsmurf

Yeah, we're so prude, it sucks major ass. I wish we could dress like French guys, sigh.

18. hello1992

I wouldnt say so. Loads of guys at my uni wear really tight t shirts, like hollister and stuff. I dont find it very attractive.

And tight jeans are very in fashion in London. Ok, so may gays i know including myself wear skinny jeans, but so do plenty of other males.

Sort of a way of doing your scarf. If its sort of draped over your shoulders or just flung over on.

For me, its just wear they have their ear-ring, the so called 'gay ear' -_-

19. kem

kem

Manbags.

Slightly offtopic, but I like scarves. I have a long one and a couple smaller ones. I like wearing the long one so that it covers my head like a hood :grin:

#19 kem, Jan 30, 2013
  20. Deaf Not Blind

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=gay+men+in+scarves&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=N8sJUcXVFsWY0QH07oHwCw&biw=1440&bih=838&sei=PcsJUaPFJI6O0QHdpoCwCQ#imgrc=slQgIJfzmYSdAM%3A%3Bb3Y9_KYshKBxBM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fi.qkme.me%252F35lidi.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.quickmeme.com%252Fmeme%252F35lidi%252F%3B305%3B457

---------- Post added 30th Jan 2013 at 05:43 PM ----------

No, all them in the tight shirts are gay...go get um.

BART?! Is that YOU?? You are supposed to be upstairs doing your homework!
    WHY YOU LITTLE!!!(*hug*)

---------- Post added 30th Jan 2013 at 05:43 PM ----------

move down to Portland, keep Portland weird!