1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do gay people only judge each other on looks alone?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by gibson234, Jan 30, 2013.

1. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've heard that they do, a couple of times and I was curious if any of you think there's any truth to it.

2. Pain

Pain Guest

Of course not only. There are so many other things to be judged upon, like character.

3. Divopix

Well you are gay aren't you? Do you judge people based on just their looks?

4. Minx

In my experience, a lot do.

Personally, I know just how grotesque people can be under a pretty surface.

I judge on their soul/treatment of others :3

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Of course not. There's penis size, too.

...yes, I'm kidding.

There are plenty of gay guys out there who do put a premium on looks. This seems most likely the younger they are, and they tend to find looks less important as they get older. That's of course an extreme generalization - there are plenty of young gay guys who are interested in personalities, and plenty of old gay guys who are still on the prowl for a "looker".

It also seems that you're more likely to find "look-oriented" gay guys in certain venues - at gay clubs and nightspots, for instance. But you're less likely to find one at a gay volunteer center, say.

Lex

6. Minx

:roflmao:

7. SomeNights

^:roflmao:

agreed looks and penis size! No way...gotta have a good personality that's more important than looks IMHO! I can get over looks, but living with someone that drives me nuts....:***: that

8. Jonathan

Owen mentioned something in a previous similar thread that I think pretty much nails it.

9. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

I think gay guys in general do place more value on looks than they would want to admit. And not just in terms of seeking a partner, but even in day-to-day interactions I think gay guys are more inclined to be nice to someone they perceive as attractive.

I've been on this dating site a few months now, I had filled out all of my profile, but for the first week after I made the account I didn't get a chance to upload a picture; that week I got not a single message or rating or anything. When I did get to upload a picture, suddenly there were guys interested that same night.

Even on this forum I've noticed that attractive people who've posted their pictures seem to get a lot more attention, with a lot of people trying to talk to them on their walls. A lot of people do seem to instantly judge someone based on appearance.

10. ioden

Not everyone. There's a lot of gay people (as well as straight people) who do that, it's true. But it's not to be generalized, not even to the point of saying "gay people usually judge people on their looks alone".

11. kiltrout

kiltrout Guest

No. Looks matter, but it's not the most important thing. For me, intelligence, cleanliness, and personality are the number one priority.

I know a lot of good looking guys who are shallow, cocky, idiots. I would never date them. They only sometimes occupy my sexual fantasies LOL

---------- Post added 30th Jan 2013 at 08:11 PM ----------

:roflmao: It's funny to think that this plays a big part in someone's relationship.

#11 kiltrout, Jan 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2013
  12. ok455

From what i seen i think gay guys judge guys on looks, I don't know how many times i been on dating websites and the guys have a list "No small penises, no fems no fats no ugly guys". I can strike up a conversation with a random straight guy or a straight or lesbian female and become their friend much faster then a gay guy. With gay guys they either ignore me or they are hard to have a conversation with.

Looks don't bother me im not the hottest guy in the world but i won't turn down a guy because hes not "Goodlooking". I said in the past if your picking people for looks your going to enjoy a long lonely life

13. jaysuss

I am one of the types who does judge mostly on looks. Then again i realize that I am a very shallow person and as long as my partner is okay with it I am fine.

14. Gen

Gen

Certainly, Heterosexuals arent even slightly as shallow.............I feel that because of the often scarce amount of out/known gay men, many of us have this ideal that as long as he is gay, I'm a shoe-in for the position. He has to love me!

The LGBT community as a whole, in my opinion, has formed this ideal that if one LGBT individual isnt attracted to another, something must be seriously wrong. Someone is to ugly for the other. Someone has a poor personality. I have plenty of attractive friends that do nothing for me. Obviously, I love their personality, as we are friends.

Less than 10% of the people on this earth are going to be even slightly compatible with you. That doesnt mean that the other 90% have to be ugly or have a horrible personalities. There is such a thing as just not being right for someone, and I feel that even in our rougher struggles to find love as LGBT individuals, we must not forget that reality.

15. RisingSun

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really hope not, because acne kinda ruined my face :dry:

16. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, I judge personality first. Looks are still a dealbreaker. It's just level #2, where personality is level #1.

17. jp16

A pretty face gets old, nice body will change but personality last for a lifetime.

18. Manc94

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    You have to have a bit of both. I would never go with someone I wasn't sexually attracted to (luckily I'm not that fussy) but if you're looking for a relationship then obviously personality comes into it.

The first thing I judge a person on is looks. Call me shallow but I think we all instinctively do it. Then you take it from there, if they have a good personality then you're onto a winner :grin:

---------- Post added 31st Jan 2013 at 09:32 AM ----------

This is exactly it. I know plenty of VERY attractive guys who I'd gladly have sex with but wouldn't dream of having a relationship with.

19. leer

a have a few friends that can be as narrow minded sometimes

20. Zaio

Zaio Guest

I think in general gay guys put more value in it, but that's not to say that people don't.

Personally, personality is my main form of attraction. If I don't have an emotional and mental connection to the guy then I'm not interested, 'things' are just boring without a connection.

As others have mentioned, looks change, personality doesn't, not much anyway. Think that shallow douchebag will be interested in you once your looks change? Nope. He's gone.

All the best.