1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay Marriage in New Jersey =]

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PREP_x_C0RE, Oct 25, 2006.

1. PREP_x_C0RE

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So I just found out my state (New Jersey) became the second state (after massachusetts) to allow gay people the same rights as straight people. Meaning they can get marriage.

The problem is that lawmakers are confused as to whether or not to call the gay marriage actual marriage like straight marriages. Some people want it to be some sort of civil union without all the same benefits as marriage.

Whatever, we can't win it all can we? I'm just happy it's MY state to become the second state. I've always loved New Jersey. :icon_smil

2. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

Well we can and will win it all, but i don't think it'll happen too too soon.

And yeah i got a email today from the HRC as an update and was just about to post it here but you beat me to it. Personally i don't even like the term marriage at all as it is a christian fundemental idea, Civil Unions i think is a better word anyway and should be used for straights too. But besides what sounds better...

It still a threat to equality to have to different terms for the same union. And if we give up and let them treat our unions as anything different to theirs, then thats unacceptable and i wont allow it. If we just settle for civil unions then it's still inequality against us. I guarantee you the HRC won't stop until we are all equal and speaking of which i have a challenge for each and every one of you which i will post shortly after this reply.

3. suburbs_of_sodom

Northern Virginia...neither here nor there
    Lucky. While your state is beginning to recognize full equality between gays and straights, mine (I've already mentioned this but I'm annoyed enough that I'll mention it again) is gearing up to pass a bill on election day that will ban gays from ever getting married in the state of Virginia.

Well, I guess that's what you get for living in a red state where the majority of people still believe that Virginia is the leader of the Confederacy. A prime example of this can be found in our beloved Senator George Allen.

But that's really cool that New Jersey at least is allowing gay marriage. It's good to see gay equality creep southward. And, at the rate it's going, Vermont will call it's civil unions marriages any day now :slight_smile:.

4. CrazECarmine

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yay New Jersey!!! Im from NJ...I was sooo happy when i heard, now the other 48 states need to follow the lead of NJ and Mass to give homosexuals the EQUAL rights we desevre. We are the UNITED States, and therefore should give everyone equality and unite under how all people are treated equally!!! Yay NJ!!!

5. Unfortunately, I think this translates into bad news for states like Virginia that have gay marriage bans on the slate this November. It's going to bring all the gay marriage opponents out to the voting booths, much like Massachusettes did in 2004. This kind of forward and backlash might be inevitable in the greater scheme of progress, but it still seems like unfortunate timing to me.

But still, great for New Jersey! :slight_smile:

6. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

Luckily, laws are changeable. And if the majority of the states sign pro-gay rights, i doubt Virginia wants to be singled out. All this means, is it's going to take a little longer for our dear activists to probe out the old prudes who still have their heads in their asses and hearts in jars.:icon_wink

Everything just takes time, but if you ever get sick of waiting. Uproot and move on...Canada isn't even half full and if you got something to offer this country, im sure it can't be that hard. But hey i master in making people feel better, realism and psycology. Not forgein affairs lol.

7. step49x

Now, if only Michigan could join in on this... :icon_wink