1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Straight guys working at gay clubs

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SomeNights, Jan 31, 2013.

?

Your opinion on straight people working at gay bars.

1. Total Crap

5.3%
  2. Okay with it

51.6%
  3. See both sides

12.6%
  4. Never been to a gay club.

30.5%
  1. SomeNights

I went out tonight and found out that a lot of the people that work at the gay club I go to are straight......Fucking hell that's so deceiving and crap.

Anyone else agree/disagree/have a story/other comments on this?

#1 SomeNights, Jan 31, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  2. leer

I`ve noticed the same thing and I really dont have a problem with it if they are good at there job thats all that matters. Its the same with the bar`s bouncers or security .

3. Wickgaga

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Meh, I think if it's a gay bar, they should you know, hire gay people, personally. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. Ben

Ben

I don't see why it's a problem. I wouldn't go to a gay place if it were exclusive to LGBT people or only hired LGBT staff.

5. Level75

95% of the time, the staff you see at a Japanese/Korean/Malaysian/Thai/Vietnamese restaurant are actually Chinese.

At the gay bar I sometimes go to, they hired a straight bartender. Don't see why that should bother me. He serves me drinks like any one else. And it's not like I go out with the intent to hit on a bartender.

6. yidnah87

I don't have a problem with it. It would be discriminatory to not hire straight people.

7. Given To Fly

I don't see what the problem is. unless it's a real quiet night, there will be other people in there to hit on, other than the bar staff.

We complain about discrimination, rightly of course, but wouldn't it be discrimination to hire only LGBT staff?

8. GingerGuy

I think they have a preference to hire people who are confirmed to be straight to work at gay bars in order to avoid costumers hitting on them. Since they are straight, they won't be attracted back, which would make them stop paying attention to their work. Maybe that's it.

9. FemCasanova

Or, they simply hire whoever is best suited for the job after skill and experience?

It is not like it is their job to flirt with their costumers, they are there to take orders and mix drinks. Unless they are security and there to throw out people who are too noisy, too aggressive or too drunk. Or help out if there`s a problem. In any case, I do not see how their sexuality should even be a question, or why the employer should even have the right to ask about it.

In Norway it is illegal to ask someone their sexual preference, if they plan to have children, etc, in order to fight discrimination. We wouldn`t want a bar to discriminate against LGBT people, it should go the other way around as well.

So if a chick in the lesbian bar was straigth, I would not care as long as I got the drink I ordered. It`s not really the best option flirting with the employers anyway, as they are there to do a job. Customers should keep that in mind. Small talk is fine, flirting? Dude, imagine being in their shoes, trying to mix drinks and keep order, and then some guy keeps hitting on you :icon_wink

10. SomeNights

I think I was just out of it last night.....can't believe I actually posted this :icon_redf

11. jp16

I'd never been to one.:dry:

12. BrokenGuy

BrokenGuy Guest

I think it's absolutely not fair, and fucking crap!!! I mean come on....Straight people have access to anything, and everything! Our gay clubs, are like our only place, where we feel like we are supported, and that we can enjoy ourselves with all of those who are the same as us!

---------- Post added 1st Feb 2013 at 12:20 AM ----------

I totally voted "Total Crap"!

13. Level75

There are less gay people in the world than straight people. If bars held out with the intent of having a full LGBT staff, they'd find themselves chronically under-staffed. Jobs at clubs aren't exactly known for their 6 figure salaries.

14. FruitFly

I really do not understand what the fuss is about. If the individual working obviously has no issues with being in a predominantly gay environment then they should be allowed to do their job, I wouldn't get all bent out of shape if I discovered the woman who operated the veterinary reception did not have any pets of her own. If someone can do the job, then why does it matter if you discover the cutie pouring the drinks is happily heterosexual?

I would rather they hired the best person for the job, rather than hire someone because they're gay. If someone is applying to work at a gay club, makes it through the interview fully aware that it's a gay club, then I'm tempted to lean towards believing that they're not exactly a raging homophobe who is going to judge you for enjoying yourself in said gay club.

You wouldn't hire straight people exclusively to avoid the attraction factor, you would hire people who can remain (semi) professional even when under barrage from slightly tipsy/completely drunk individuals trying to come on to them in increasingly obvious ways. Straight or gay, some of the individuals on the other side of the bar are incredibly distracting and not because you're attracted to them.

15. FallenAngel

FallenAngel Guest

I've never been to one but I think that's a little wierd. I'd go there to meet someone, so it'd be pretty embarrassing if I hit on a girl and she was like "sorry...I'm straight."

16. Level75

Don't hit on an employee. Assume they are there primarily for a paycheck. Another paytron, yeah there is a reasonable assumption that people there are not straight. Not always, but still, a reasonable assumption.

17. Harve

Gay clubs have plenty of straight guys in them, so why can't the employees be straight, too?

18. Deaf Not Blind

Ok, playing Devils Advocate...in common job market say bank, a big one, with many employees, what if they only hire white males. in another, they only hire white females. is it discriminatory? by law it appears it says they are to hire "minorities" if they have over 15 workers, thus they need more blacks or dark skinned workers. but the ones with women likely won't be sued, and if they hired only black women, no white, no men, I'm sure nobody will listen to a white guy complaining he was discriminated against.

now, if the federal law called Queers, in particular here Gay men, a recognized minority will full minority status rights under the law, then they can hire 100% Gays...may need some lesbians and not all whites...and they will not by law be discriminating. But if all straights worked there and over 15 were workers, then you would have a case. But all they need is under 14, or to hire 1 minority worker...like a straight Asian lady...and can't.

---------- Post added 31st Jan 2013 at 09:07 AM ----------

Also, don't expect all in a gay bar are gay! Honestly! Lot's of gays have straight friends...or you not know that FA? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: So...they don't split up and gays go alone to gay bar while straights head other way ya know? In straight bars gays go there too. DUH! So, you will have a chance at hitting on a girl and being told "Sorry I am straight", yup.

And I agree, in any business, the workers are friendly for employer makes them, and they can be genuinely nice, but they are NOT there to be hit on or picked up. I hated men assuming in retail job when i joked around i was hitting on them. a dude bought a mug for $4 and claimed he did it cuz of ME and i should date him...dude i was so not interested in his tub o lard! i was just a friendly worker, and i treat everybody same.

---------- Post added 31st Jan 2013 at 09:10 AM ----------

Don't know your laws there, but if they are like ours, nothing says a Mexican taco place must have any Mexican workers...so sad. I think it would def bring in more business and be Gay-friendly if the owner tried to hire a large majority of Queer workers, I bet the gay population has more trouble finding/keeping work anyways.

19. Eatthechildren

I don't see the problem... They're there to work after all :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: (Straight people going to gay bars I'd feel a bit :L about though... I mean, I don't think we need bouncers outside demanding you show them your gay card, but straight people should recognise they aren't spaces catering for them).

20. Minx

I can see both sides.

It isn't fair to a lot of gay workers who find trouble finding jobs in straight environments, but I don't think we're that discriminatory enough to deny someone a chance to work along side us, even if they are straight and comfortable working in that setting. :3