1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Asked to speak at a local highschool on homosexuality...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Micah, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Micah

Ok...

So I was recently asked to come and speak to some year 7 and 8 classes during their PE sexual education class on Homosexuality, coming out and gender identity, specifically to do with my own experiences coming to grips with my sexuality. All I can say is "shit". Haha. The thought of doing it both excites me and scares the heck out of me, especially since it's only been a few months since I was in high school myself.

I had a few ideas, like bringing along a friend of mine who had to come to terms with it, so he could speak from his point of view.

I won't be doing the talk until around june, so I at least have plenty of time to prepare, although I know I'll certainly be calling on EC for support during the weeks leading up to it!

So should be fun ;p

2. InaRut

Sounds like a chance for advertising. Definatly get them over at EC.

That's really good for the highschool to do that. Makes me all warm and bubbly inside.

Now for a more personal comment,
    "Do you do house calls." *wink*

Haha
    Good work Micah,
    Why we love you!

3. Beebo

hey man, what ur doing is really awesome, especially at your age, If there are any specific things you'd like help with, I'd love to help, and I'm sure everyone else here would. People usually dont notice, but there is usually at least one gay kid in every classroom, usually closeted, I was one of them lol, a speaker would have been huge help.

4. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Way to go Micah! I'm so excited for you! You will do great!

5. Time

This is an excellent opportunity! Teaching kids about homosexuality and how it isn't a bad thing is so important, especially at such a young age.

One thing though...would bringing someone with you be such a good idea? Personally, I would want to avoid any awkward questions about you two being in a relationship or anything. I don't know all of the circumstances, but this is something to think about.

6. Jerr

Kudos.

I'd kill for an opportunity. I actually would love to be a sex-ed teacher but know that it isn't a line of work that is in demand...

I'm giving a speech tomorrow (icy roads Tuesday prevented it from happening then) on Homosexuality... specifically the coming out, homophobia, and myths. I've got good ideas for them and I'll try to post the outline.... and maybe more detail on what I improve during the speech.

7. Grof142007

this is will definitaly help the closted cases =)

8. Sexiican01

i'd be scared because they'd just like laugh and yeah

=.=

9. Jace

Whoa sucks for you! Lol its great though I'd love some one to come talk at my school, but they're prolly gonna eat you alive, I should know I'm in Jr High myself and most kids are close minded and hate "nasty fags" but some are awesome (me besst friends, esp Margaret who did a speech on gay rights and hate crimes and discrimination and tolerance in English, it was rad)

But yeah good luck and please come to my school too!

10. sexyalex

oh please Becky:dry:

micah i got 1 word for you, suicide. :dry:

he is not going to talk at a peace core or go do group therapy he is going to do a presentation....AT A HIGH SCHOOL!!! ok unless the high school where u are from are full of goody goody brady bunchers?...then all i have to say is good luck.

worst it's 8th graders too. i remember when i was in 8th grade, i used to put thump tacks on my math teacher's chair :dry: :grin:

PS- u got my full support. don't feel i am being mean cuz i am not.

11. Micah

Haha some of your reactions are priceless :grin:

It's not there won't be teachers there etc. /shrug

12. sexyalex

but wait....HAHAHAHA looks like u totally missed the part where i said "i used to put tacks on my math teachers chair"

u have no idea how it is in high schools today do u...especially if it's a big high school like mine (3000 students) then u could be road kill. or u could be the hero of the day. bottom line is, students rules the school. and puberty is not something u play with :dry:

lmao, good luck mate.(*hug*)

13. Fox

Fox

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Woot go Micah!

I'll ask you later on where it is. I really think you should go for it. You would be good at educating, but as it's been mentioned, it's a freaking high school.
    I have to say, knowing you I'd wanna see it. Maybe post it on youtube :-D.

14. Micah

Schools in Melbourne are a little different :wink:

15. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good luck Micah!! Wish someone would lecture my year on homosexuality..they really need it.

16. davo-man

I think you're going to be great and I think they're going to be really receptive, as long as you act as confident as you can be. Just go in there like you own the room and they're going to listen. They may be bored out of their brains if theyre simply not interested, but they're not gunna throw things at you.

And I agree, from the way you guys here and the media portray American high schools, I think Aus school are quite markedly different

17. Ty

Ty Guest

Make a few EC leaflets with your Photoshop powers and hand 'em around to the kids :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: sounds like loads of fun. I'd like to do that one day haha ^_^

18. Alexander

LOL I'm sure that micah knows what a high school's like people :grin:

19. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    That didn't sound very supportive to me Alex! Micah will do just fine. Micah, has the potential to change hearts and minds and he will do great! Now if you don't behave yourself, I'm not going to let you call me Mommy anymore!!!

20. Ty

Ty Guest

I think schools in Jamacia must be pretty different o.0 Our schools are nothing like that.