1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is everyone so obsessed with labels?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TheDude, Jan 31, 2013.

1. TheDude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I seriously don't get it. Does it really matter to label yourself? I feel like I couldn't care less if someone is gay, straight, bisexual, pansexual, transexual, etc. You are who you are. People change trough time, and in the end, I think, it doesn't really matter if you are this or that. You don't have to settle for any label. Right now, I'm a guy who happens to like guys, and that's it. And who knows if tomorrow I marry a girl.
    Whenever I see a post of someone saying 'I came out as a gay guy but I think I like this girl, what do I do?', I'm like, 'then go for the girl you like, you don't need to give any explanation'. Or to those who are 'I'm a guy and I like girls, but there is this guy...Am I gay?', I'm like 'You like that guy, it doesn't have to mean anything unless you do something about it, and if you do then I don't think anything else matter, you like that guy, period'.
    Or whenever someone gets angry because others get their label wrong, just get over it, it's not the end of the world. I like a lot of things and dislike a whole lot and I don't demand to get a specified label of each thing a like and dislike, and honestly, I couldn't care less either way.

I hope I don't come off rude because that are not my intentions. Just be who you are and don't obsess with finding a label for yourself.

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Labels help other people to recognize you if that's what you want. And whether or not you pick a label, you will be labeled.

3. Ticklish Fish

label works kind of like a simple identification tool.
    I mean, I can kind of understand where you come from, but I think we should start with that not everyone is good mind reader...
    like, would it be okay to call you Argentinian?

4. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    Haha. First and foremost l love the "That's just like,your opinion, man" avatar.

Ummm. Not really going to comment, l guess l just really wanted to say that.

One tiny comment l have is that if a person actually does "live up" to or at some point in their lives practice the activity associated with any of their labels then rock the f*ck on.

lt can be a little tiresome to listen to the incessant chatter when that aspect is missing :wink:

5. Minx

I don't have a particular fondness of labels, but a few help me to explain some things to others who ask difficult questions.

Granted, I wish they weren't needed in the world. :slight_smile:

6. SeerOfHeart

I think they're just used to help sort everything out- both for ourselves and for others. They're not necessary if you don't want to use them, though.

7. Oddish

Oddish Guest

Just a way of identification. I don't go around screaming, "I'm attracted to so and so!!" but if I'm asked at least I have a name for it and a way to explain it. Just makes things easier, especially with those who understand all of the jargon.

8. photoguy93

I think some labels can be ok, but it gets a little too excessive when there's so many.

I mean, I seriously wonder if there's a label for someone who likes guys, but only on Mondays and when it rains.

Playing Devils Advocate, though....I would say that there was a point in time where we were just the "queers." So, we had to add things like LGBT. You know? I'm totally fine with LGBT.

I guess I just realized that you're just adding labels. Hmm... I solved my own problem!

But please, before adding 1000 new labels..think about it, first! :slight_smile:

9. jp16

^Yeah Convenience. Personally, I don't care about other peoples sexual preference. For me, its neck accessory preference.
    It seems to me that people label others just so they feel more comfortable knowing who they're dealing with. Take gender for example. When babies are born, people immediately ask the parents, "Is it a boy or a girl?" Society is pretty devided with gender, and it's becoming that way with sexuality too, though heterosexuals are the majority. Of course, society's straight vs. gay thing often lumps bisexuals and transgendered individuals with the "gay" label. I think people categorize people by sexuality because people are obsessed with sex and make a huge deal of who other people are attracted to.

10. Reptillian

Well, the thing is people just want to know who you're open to and that is all. From the average laymen's point of view, your sexuality is who you're open to and/or the prosperity of who you are open to. That's why labels are regarded as important, plus not to mention how labels seems to comfort most people as they feel like they found more people like them. From a person with a background of some basic understanding of sexuality and the academic materials involved, sexuality does not necessarily have to do with who you're open to and even who you feel you might most likely be with even though it is a indication which is not always right. One strategy to go against the emphasis on labels is to mention parts of the complications regarding sexuality and mention examples that shows it, but you're going to have to go against laymen who don't understand the issues of complications regarding sexual orientation and the likes.

When people ask me for my orientation, they just want to know who I am open to, they don't care anymore about that and they do not care about actually learning about sexuality in depth. I will answer that I might be open to girls (there's a post to see why would I be interested into a relationship and there are conditions I'd have to see met before initiation of a relationship. I do not do things out of emotions as that's the last thing I will put my perspective on).

#10 Reptillian, Jan 31, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  11. Ticklish Fish

rainmanmonday?

12. TheDude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You're right, I meant gender label.

And sure, I don't mind you calling me Argentinian :wink:

13. Mogget

I like labels because they help me to explain who I am to other people. I mean, it's so much easier to say "I'm gay" than to say, "I'm sexually attracted to men with occasional incidental sexual arousal to women, except that I want to have sex with men and don't really have any interest in having sex with women. Oh, and I can be romantically attracted to men and women, but realistically I'd like to have sex with a romantic partner--and most women who want a romantic partner also want their partner to have sex with them, so realistically it only makes sense for me to date other men."

Two words vs. eighty-three.

14. Reptillian

Another reason is the quick explanation advantages to labels instead of detailed description. Let's face it, who gives a shit about a speech? I'm pretty sure if I describe my past life details and long details about my own history regarding my relativistic attraction, people would be snoring long before I finish my speech about my sexuality history. I'd imagine if I had to do a speech about my sexuality, it'd be over 2000 words, no questions about it and why should they even bother?

15. Minx

*ponders this* Precipital-Xyious Monendayian :grin:

16. Ticklish Fish

84 words if you read "I'm" as "I am" or break "don't" to "do not" or "I'd" to "I had"
    85 if you break two words
    86 if you break three.

but that's a long description XD
    Can you write a novel about your sexuality? Can I? :roflmao:

17. Cthulhu

I don't mind labels, like I don't mind being a Pastafarian.

18. GreenSkies

GreenSkies Guest

I actually like labels for myself. This past year I've been trying to overcome my denial and get through a questioning phase, and considering different labels and "trying them on" for myself helped me with a lot of the confusion I had. They're also a good way to communicate with other people in language that they can understand.

I like labels in other areas of my life as well - I went through most of my high school years thinking I was stupid and lazy, but when a doctor gave me a label of ADHD, I was able to redefine my behaviors in a different context so that I could work on coping skills to be successful anyway.

19. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people

lmao. Yeah...l don't...l can't even...

Only because you can tell when a person is more interested in talking about themselves than anything else. Like, you like men? Okay. And you like women? Ok. Cool, nothing l haven't heard before.

Versus:

You might like a ___ at some point, but you aren't interested in it now, you can't say when you will be and you aren't even interested in sex or a relationship and get weird if l ask about it?

Oh. *ponders*

Yet, as uninterested as they are in the activity surrounding some aspects of the label they have, they are interested in talking about it very often. :confused:

20. Mogget

Probably not enough material for a novel. But maybe a short story or two.