1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tennessee Bill!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Silvails52, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Silvails52

I just found out about a bill in Tennessee that prohibits teachers from discussing homosexuality before grade 9. The bill also deems and homosexual behavior "inappropriate" and the student must go to counseling. Any parent of a student in this counseling will be promptly notified. If you want to read the bill, it's this link: http://www.capitol.tn.gov/Bills/108/Bill/SB0234.pdf

Someone made a petition to the Obama administration to end the bill, which has been passed and will take effect on July 1. The petition is here if you want to sign it: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/end-dont-say-gay-bill-tenesee-schools/qcHx0Xt8

I'm sure the people who wrote the bill had good intentions. For instance, seeming to believe that any kids under 13 don't really know sexuality and that whatever they're doing isn't right. But there may be some kids who already know they're gay and don't want to tell their parents. This bill forces them to come out regardless if they're ready or not. I'm sure the counseling can also be a blow to the student. I think this needs to stop right now.

2. Caleb93

After reading the bill, it doesn't sound all that terrible. All it does is prohibit the teacher from bringing up the topic of homosexuality in the classroom. If a student asks a question about homosexuality, the teacher is allowed answer it honestly. And it doesn't require the teacher to report if a student is gay; only if the student's behavior presents "immediate and urgent safety issues."

Also, signing a White House petition isn't an effective way to stop this bill. The President has no authority over state legislation. If the state passes the law, the only way for it to be overturned is to be challenged in court.