1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Day of Silence, April 25, 2008

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by beckyg, Mar 6, 2008.

1. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    DAY OF SILENCE, April 25, 2008

This year’s Day of Silence will be held in memory of Lawrence King,
    who friends say was murdered in a California school February 12
    because of his sexual orientation and gender expression. The event
    brings attention to anti-LGBT bullying, harassment and discrimination
    in schools. Students observe the day in silence to echo the silence
    LGBT and ally students face every day.

Find resources at:
    www.dayofsilence.org

2. crimsonarcher

Is it Ok for me to do it at school?

3. biisme

it's very popular at my school, and i would encourage you to do it at yours

what day of the week is it?

4. Vampyrecat

I would do this, but we don't have a "Day of Silence" in Australia I don't think. Besides, I'd be effectively outing myself to my whole school. Not that most don't already know, but there are a few who I have been deliberately keeping in the dark.
    Anyways, April 25 is Australia's ANZAC day.

5. Time

It might be too late to go all out on this, but I'm definitely going to print out the cards that you hand out to people who ask why you're not speaking and give some of them to my best friends. This is truly inspiring. I love the Day of Silence and what it stands for.

6. Jerr

GAH Becky beat me to it!

I posted the first thread about last years and blah! Oh well, hopefully this time there will be only 1 thread instead of like 3... (Search before you post on a topic people!)

I did it last year for the entire school day. I had to stop afterwards because family called my cell and well... couldn't tell them about the day of silence.

I wrote/explained which website to go to to my first period teacher and she printed me out some faq's and a little information so I could hand it to my teachers as I went to different classes because writing it over and over was tiresome.

What really made me mad/sad/depressed was my friends tried to get me to talk the entire day... they may have been joking but what message were they sending?

I was being silent out of respect for those who have been harmed for being born a certain way and those who defended them... I do it for anti-violence. To try and make me talk just means you want the violence... the cruelty to continue...

Long story short... I was hurt by their attempts...

Also I was the only one to do it in my school. The others failed by first period or were at a convention thing for the school where they were suppose to talk about the school or something like that so they were unable to do so because of previous obligations. (Which I fully understand.)

7. SkyTears

Thanks Becky! (sorry for being slow Jerr =p) I think I might be doing this but I will have to get the day of work and 5/6 (my combined class) will be a :***: to me about this but I really want to do it!!!

8. Chamber of Life

Hey I never knew this and you just opened my eyes to something new. I just looked it up and its inspiring. I'm going to follow through with it and tell some friends. Thanks:icon_bigg

9. Grof142007

My College dosent have a GSA or anything like that but im still going to do it because it send a message out and people need to know also it doesnt hurt to out my self to the whole campus =) (might get lucky)

wish i was still in HS would have more of an effect

#9 Grof142007, Mar 6, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2008
  10. Wired106

I'm going to try to do it this day, and I'm gonna try and talk as little as possible because I can't not talk because teachers might call on me in class and friends might say something and I can't just ignore them because they don't know i'm out yet lol. But I want to see how this goes :slight_smile:

11. Grof142007

Good Luck

12. Ty

Ty Guest

When I first read the artile about Laurence King, I didn't know what he looked like and the article wasn't exactly describing him very well, putting into a negative light of his cross dressing. But when I saw a picture of him OH MY ! He looks so young!! How the hell can anyone shoot him? I don't understand it atall. It really doesn't make any sense to me. If someone In england did what he did, the most that would happen would proberly be some name calling but NOT a shooting... I just can't believe it...

13. Today4U

I'll be doing the day of silence

14. smilealways

smilealways Guest

this is very sad and i would guess that there will be many other unknown crimes that has happened.
    i hope i can change some people in my life, the way they think about us.

15. Tim

Tim

My school had a club that ran this, Unfortunately, I graduated, so I can't participate in their day, but I will still do it, just because of the memorial, it was a horrible crime.

It has become huge at the school I went to, in a matter of 4 years, the school went from 5% participating to 25%. Our classes were so silent senior year, our teachers actually threatened us at one point, but we still stayed silent... (German class was interesting... as she had scheduled the day as a project day... so all the silent people got paired together, and we ended up having to write to each other, which is complicated, as the teacher made us write in german, even though it was only German II :/)

16. GunStarre

GunStarre Guest

A lot of my friends have told me about this. Apparently, my school has a GSA club. And they're the ones advertising it lol

17. CaptainTrips

Day of Silence is a lot of fun in some ways, especially if there's a strong community of gays and supporters, like there is at LHS. I did it last year, and only messed up twice--both times in band class, which seems impossible to be silent during. And GSA gave out pretty little ribbons to remind people that they're supposed to be quiet!

18. Grof142007

If anyone make a good Sign/card Explaing what going on please me use it cause i can never think of anything good maybe i should order a button hmm

19. Jace

Oh hells yeah! I'm so found this I told my friend Margaret about this and I'm sure that me her nadine and some other people will be doing it, but I doubt we can get widespread support, ill have to talk to miss hollander or Ms ricks they'd do it

20. CaptainTrips

i got this off the dayofsilence.org website: