1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How did you learn about gender?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by afterthefact, Feb 1, 2013.

1. afterthefact

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hello. First of all, my agenda here is simple - I am conducting a research for a class, the responses I will get here will not be used (as the research is still in the developmental process), but will greatly influence how the research will be structured.

Therefore, I would like to get some responses on how you learned about gender (conceptually and in practice, through school, class, sex-ed, internet, etc., basically how you learned to distinguish what gender is). From what I can tell a lot of people (whether on the lgbtqa spectrum, or cis, or whatever they choose to go by) are either not sure how to distinguish "gender" from "sex" from "sexuality" from "sexual orientation".

I purposely do not want to give definitions, as that might skew the answers. Your participation is highly appreciated.

2. Eatthechildren

Do you mean when we learnt that sex and gender were separate?

3. DeanIsHome

I first learned about gender when my parents took me to an Islamic teacher because when i was younger i would put my hands on my hips when i stood for a while and they said i was acting the wrong gender and i was about 5, The teacher basically gave us the idea that the men's role was dominant and different from the females and all he taught was how men were suppose to be like he didn't mention females, sorry if that doesn't answer you're question

4. leer

first of all it was a leaflet at the health center - then a book from school i stole:eek: - the most i learned was from a magazine Brit boys :icon_redf

5. Shadowsettler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's a blur in my mind and the only difference is physical: there are literally no lines other than a person's individual behavior and I still cannot see any more difference than that to this day.

As far as I was concerned from a very small age was that genders would mingle between each other romantically, that everyone liked both genders, but I found out quickly that wasn't true.

I also found a great deal of pleasure and comfort in mimicking female features and behavior as me and my neighbor friend would play house a lot.

I have a few strange memories dating back to very early in my life, as far back as 6 I believe, that deal with my anatomy and how I discovered my sensory perception. It's a mess!~ n_n''

Sorry if this is no use to you but i'm giving what I think you're asking for. :frowning2:

#5 Shadowsettler, Feb 1, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  6. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    lm not sure why there is so much confusion and sometimes wonder if the lack of knowledge isn't being misinterpreted when it might actually be a lack of interest.

Because l think at this point a lot of people understand this distinction (especially LGBT). But for me, like, the 90s. Late 90s. By learning what a transgender person was. My memory is blurry but l think LGB was LGBT by then.

7. Shadowsettler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think I know what you're asking for now. you want to make a questionaire?

it's tricky because memories can be stored deeply. I haven't recalled a lot of things that I should have known earlier until recently. Memories spanning all the way back to age 6 that lead me to believe that my orientation showed itself a lot earlier than I thought, but i have no idea what sort of data you're trying to collect...

#7 Shadowsettler, Feb 1, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  8. afterthefact

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thanks to everyone who responded.

To answer some of the questions that were asked: The topic is basically around the idea of the most efficient way to teach/learn about gender roles. It will be integrating multiple areas on this issue, so no answer is the wrong answer.

And as OMGWTFBBQ mentioned, it may perhaps be the lack of interest, but it is also true that a larger percentage of people (especially non-LGBT population; also consider different cultural contexts - it is not the same) do not have the interest due to the absence of knowledge. There is a large and growing theoretical field around it, but which is still in the dimension of "rocket science" to the average (and I am talking about average population). There still are areas in this world where improvements will need to be made, and having some sort of backing to what are the most efficient ways to teach/introduce this idea would be highly beneficial.

Personally, I have lived in both - the western and a developing nation: the difference is immense. I can't tell you how much easier it is to be yourself without having to be afraid...

So, question is the same, and if you'd like to add your idea, or comment on this topic - please do. Thanks to everyone who has/will contribute to the discussion.