1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What defines someone as homosexual?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Theagonist, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Theagonist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Is it that they are innately attracted to the same sex sexually? Is it that have sex with the same sex? Is it a lifestyle choice? or.....?

2. WilliamM

WilliamM Guest

Its the natural attraction to the same sex that makes someone a homosexual. Its not a lifestyle choice. That simple :slight_smile:

3. photoguy93

Yeah, it's just something that people ... are. lol. I know some people say different things, so that's why it might be confusing to others.

I had no clue. Lol. It's actually ironic, because even though I am very smart, I tend to have things fly over my head.

I was so stereotypical. I loved playing dress-up, I loved playtime & barbies, I could not stand sports..etc.

I had some crushes on some girls. But, come to think of it, it was never sexual. Granted, I didn't know much then.

But once I started hitting puberty - there were signs, that I still didn't pick up.

Then, it finally hit me. It's like the skies parted!

So it is someone who is attracted to the same sex. It is who we are!

4. Theagonist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family

5. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Having exclusive same-sex attraction.

6. Reptillian

You laymens have a problem with your definition. What counts as sexually attracted/sexual attraction? Asides from that, there's always the possibility that there's homosexuals in the relative point of view from people at above me who aren't repulsed by the idea of heterosexual sex and enjoy it from the mechanical pleasure and then they realize they're actually gay that aren't repulsed to the idea, so that complicates matter more.

I already have a link to a documentary which takes a look at what defines homosexuality in greater depth than us laymens here. I'm one myself, but at least I take a look at academic materials before stating my opinions.

http://spruce.flint.umich.edu/~simoncu/sexuality.pdf

As you can see in that documentary, there is no concrete definition of homosexuality. There's problems with EVERY single sub-definition and the main definition is too broad. Laymen likes to think that it's easy to define homosexuality as 'to be attracted to the same sex' when they don't realize that there is many conceptualizations of attraction/attracted.

#6 Reptillian, Feb 1, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  7. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

Well technically, someone is homosexual if they have a sexual attraction to the same sex (and by extension have sex with the same sex). That's why a lot of people prefer being called gay to homosexual because gay connotes more than the sexual aspect usually. Woot for arguing semantics!

8. Minx

Personally, I don't think guyxguy sex defines as homosexual, to me a guy loving another guy with all his heart defines 'homosexual' :slight_smile:

9. Pain

Pain Guest

Having exclusively same-sex attraction. It is not a "lifestyle choice." It's just who you happen to be into, that's that.

10. Reptillian

I have yet to see some clarification here on what is meant by attraction and the exclusive same-sex attraction seems to conflicts with scenarios of fluid sexuality where one's sexual orientation has changed over long period of time and yes, there are people who had fluid sexuality. So since it conflicts with fluid sexuality and people have many different conceptualization of sexual attraction, the definition is invalidated just like every single one of the other definitions. I have yet to see one definition that is not without problems.

Did anyone bothered to look at the documentary I pointed out?

#10 Reptillian, Feb 1, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  11. Minx

I just responded on how I personally define it. :slight_smile: Clicking links on my phone can be iffy at times.

12. Linthras

Linthras Guest

There is Reptillian: exclusive attraction to the same sex.
    That's the definition used by academia and medical professions alike.

---------- Post added 2nd Feb 2013 at 10:33 AM ----------

A homosexual has no fluid sexuality, otherwise he would identify as fluid.
    It's pretty simple: if you can only be sexually attracted, as in desiring sex with, the same sex, you're gay.
    I've yet to see you present a study with credible sources that proves that everyone has a fluid sexuality.

13. Ianthe

Sexual orientation is about whom you desire, not whom you have actually had sex with.

14. Kay

Kay Guest

This is the perfect way to state this.

15. Eatthechildren

Self identification. You're not gay unless you say you are ^^

16. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

Someone who has same sex feelings for another

17. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Yep, that's about it.

18. Repeating the poster above me. Playing with toys -geared- to the opposite gender binary does not make someone homosexual, and nor is it a lifestyle choice.

19. Rexmond

Although that doesn't apply to people who are questioning, that seems about right.:thumbsup:

20. redstormrising

that about sums it up for me