1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opening a can of worm with this. Genders.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Reptillian, Feb 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reptillian

Someone please provide evidence of genders please. One that has a very large sample size and a very strong correlation and then I'll be convinced that genders do exist. I seen the CAH studies and some relationship with social behaviors long with the frozen brain investigation of dead transgender (they were dying slowly and investigated once dead). Until I see some actual behavioral difference, some actual differences in the brain at a large scale, and something much more convincing than correlative evidence, I shall claim that genders does not exist.

*Awaits bitching from people here and ducks from flame*

2. Eatthechildren

Do you need proof of language?

Gender IS a social construct. But so is language, and actually, labelling sexes is a social construct too. But that doesn't make it any less real.

Simply the fact that there are people who don't identify with their assigned gender is proof that it's real.

3. MerBear

please dont start a fight , i already saw another thread with this crap

4. Hot Pink

@Eatthechildren: You're confusing gender with gender roles. It's a common mistake.

As for the topic, Reptillian, I exist. The existence of transsexuals alone proves that gender is a real thing. If you say we're not real, then yes, you should be prepared for a lot of angry trans people posting in this thread.

Here's the thing: you're cis. That automatically means you will never know what it's like to be trans. You have to take our word for it that gender is a real thing. If that isn't enough for you, you will have to wait for the science to catch up. Science is revolutionary, but it often works on the scale of decades. Those of us who are trans already have all the evidence we need, but I understand that it can be difficult to understand for cis people.

It's like being a sexual orientation other than straight. Prove to me that it exists. Can you prove that it exists with only purely scientific terms? The science behind sexuality is still iffy too.

5. Eatthechildren

No, I mean gender. Gender (At least to me) is a complicated sense of identity, that originated in assigning in assigning roles to different sexes, but has become something more :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    (Or at least that's my understanding of it)

Like... Sexual orientation always seemed like a social construct to me too... Doesn't make it any less real, but that's what I think :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. Reptillian

Lemme see here, since sexes are usually attributed to objective or observable scenarios, it is actually testable to determine what sex is a person. If you assert sexes is based on the genitals, then yes, you can prove that person is a male/female/intersex. If you assert chromosomes is what determines sexes, we can easily debunk it by pointing to animals that have chromosomes that are assigned differently than how ours is assigned by showing that the males in that animal species have XX chromosomes. If you assert that sexes is based on hormonal balances, then you can test it as well, but we know that this can't be right because we know that hormones do changes and sometimes radically within one's lifetime.

So sexes is a bit more than just a social construct.

As for sexual orientation being existing or non-existing, well of course I can't prove to you that sexual orientation exists and even I have admitted to the science behind it is iffy. There's so many theories behind what causes one's sexuality and there are even theories that suggests sexual orientation is just another social construct. So yes, this is another thing I could rant on about, but this thread is about genders.

Wanted to say if I inject myself female hormones, would I suddenly think of myself as a female, no not really. Not even in a lifetime. Yes, I am quite prepared at the fact that there will be some angry people.

#6 Reptillian, Feb 2, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  7. Hot Pink

You're right: that wouldn't make you female. They actually did tests like that. They injected male volunteers with estrogen to see what would happen. The results were that they developed gender dysphoria. They started to feel self-conscious about any feminine traits they were developing--even if it was in their head. Since gender dysphoria occurs from the brain rejecting hormones. It's one of the few ways a cis person can understand temporarily what it's like to be trans.

8. Niko

Well if genders don't exist, I'd like to know why I've always felt like a male. I never understood how females work. I look at them get all excited over dresses, make-up, shoes, nails etc, and I can't say I've ever gotten that excited over things like that. Also, them actually wanting to be a mother...I don't understand that. I never want to go through pregnancy. I don't want to give birth to a child of my own...and I actually feel bad about that at times.
    So I believe genders do exist, male brains and female brains are definitely wired differently. Unfortunately for cisgendered people they take their gender for granted most of the time because they can't feel what we trans* people go through everyday; and it's really hard to explain.
    Sure we can say..oh we feel like a trapped man/woman in a woman's/man's body. But if you ask cisgendered folk to picture it...at least the ones I've explained it to, they just don't get it.

9. Eatthechildren

I'm not saying that what we use to assign sex isn't real... But like, going "This child has ____ and ____ so they are physically male" IS a social construct.

Like, what would you call someone with XXY chromosones (Yes it's a thing), with ambiguous genitalia?
    (Our society at least) wouldn't be able to assign a sex correctly (To it's own rules) because people assign sex with two boxes, "XX chromosones - Vagina - Oestrogen - Female" and "XY chromosones - penis - Testosterone" and don't leave room for anything else.

Sorry if that didn't make any sense, I'm bad at putting ideas into words :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. Reptillian

What's the sample size? And how strong is the correlative factor? Please cite your study. It is peer-reviewed or at least tries to look at every problems?

11. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    l feel like a box of cereal myself and l pretty much have the same approach to gender identity.

But. Here's the thing, as a gay person, l obviously have a gender preference. l can't say that they don't really exist.

lt could ultimately be some kind of conditioning on my part and l've tried endlessly to figure out if that's the case. lf that is the case, l'm probably beyond repair.

l don't believe in assigning personality traits to gender and can have the same kind f emotional connection to anyone regardless of gender.

But...since one gender is "right" for me as far as attraction goes, l must either be subconsciously labeling my attractions based on gender or there is some small difference that attracts me, even if it's only in apperance

12. Hot Pink

I don't even know, honestly. It's something my gender therapist told me once. It's his job to research this stuff. If you're asking everyone who posts in this thread to post in-depth scientific essays, you probably won't get many who do that. Not many people enjoy making persuasive essays for fun.

---------- Post added 2nd Feb 2013 at 05:21 PM ----------

You should get into contact with some gender therapists and ask them these questions. It's their job to know this stuff and defend it within their psychoanalytical groups of peers. Asking the odd queer person about this won't get you very far.

13. Reptillian

Yes, XXY exists, but we already know based from the studies of animals, we already know that different species can have different chromosomal sets to different sexes. We also know that there are people who have a penis and XX chromosome that identifies as a male. Asides, someone with an ambiguous genitalia can be easily assigned to the intersex sex. Basically, my position is sex is defined by the bio-mechanical parts rather than chromosome and hormones, one can examine it. But if one is to consider chromosome and the bio-mechanical functions, then a man with XX chromosome is a intersexed individual and we can prove it by using those two qualifier.

Well, sexes is basically semantics. But at least some derivation of the meaning is actually testable or an acceptable qualifier.

@ Above poster : Ok, I'll go do your suggestion.

#13 Reptillian, Feb 2, 2013
  14. Hot Pink

Also, you might consider not just calling up some random gender therapists and grilling them. Ask to make an appointment to ask questions to cure your curiosity. Just a suggestion.

15. Divopix

I don't understand why people make threads like these. If you can't get the answers yourself on a tricky topic like this, I doubt there will be many people that can give you the answers you need. It almost seems as if you want people to give their opinions just to start a war haha. These threads never have a good outcomes :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

#15 Divopix, Feb 2, 2013
  16. MerBear

right?

17. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can claim it all you want but at the very least you need to respect other people's identified genders. Just like you don't bash someone with a different religious view than you it's not right to argue about someone's identity. It's their choice and really isn't up to you.

18. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I couldn't agree more, and seeing as flaming is against the Code of Conduct, there's really no reason to let this thread go on any farther.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.