1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hair clippers for women?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kgirl, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Kgirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Random question: I have the typical asymetrical short haircut that so many others have these days. The back and one side is pretty short and I'm a bit fed up of paying loads of money to get it cut every 4 weeks or so.

Do you think it'd be possible to do it myself using men's hair clippers and get it to look right? I think those clippers are usually meant for guys with the same length all over.

2. they usually have diff numbers on the clippers though. so idk like 5 wont take hardly any off but 1 will make your hair almost bald. you could try. i mean like, i think youre saying you have an under cut but idk. if so then you only need to shave one side but you can do it on 5 first so it wont look awful if you do go wrong. trial and error :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. Kgirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks ok maybe I'll give it a try!

My hair is more like a grade 6 or something (that's a guess) apart from on the top and one side.

4. Last Gentleman

I wasn't aware that clippers were gender specific.
    Just the hair styles tend to be different and clippers are meant for short hair.

The hard part will really be either doing it yourself or finding someone who can do it for you.

Have you thought about going to a means barber and asking for a haircut. It it's done in a "mens" style, then hopefully he'll charge a mens price which should work out a lot cheaper.

5. Kgirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That'd be great... I'm not sure they'd do it though :S
    And in the shop they are described as men's hair clippers but I agree they're not gender specific lol. It's more about, like you said, whether I'd be able to use them when my hair is longer in places, without leaving it looking patchy or something lol. Thanks :slight_smile:

6. Last Gentleman

Depends on the barber. I know my old one used to do my sister. Nothing special, just a quick trim. I'm sure most wouldn't mind doing the "same stuff" they do for guys.

The main difference between a gents barber and a hair dresser is simplicity. Men tend to stick to simple cuts while women tend to want a bit more.

7. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

I have my own clippers and cut my own hair. I usually do the sides and the back at around a 3 (middle of longest and shortest) and then the top is usually a 1(longest), I let the top grow out and keep the sides shaved down. Then when the top gets too long I just cut it back down to a 1, and the sides to a 3 again.

I've never really had a problem with it, so you could try it, having a mirror to see the back of your head makes it easier too.