1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Don't sleep get fat?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Alexander69, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Alexander69

So I was reading this diet book and one point it showed was "don't sleep get fat" is that true? The point she had were people ate more with less sleep so then consuming more calories. Understandable but I don't sleep a lot I have a sleeping disorder for years I was diagnosed with it I have circadian rhythm sleep disorder meaning I don't have a sleep program like most humans WHICH sucks because I love sleep I'm just never tired till I pretty much have to sleep ugh I used to take sleeping pills but I was getting hooked on them so I had to stop and I took melatonin but I became not "hooked" but reliant on them to sleep and they stopped working idk what to DO I'm always tired an its hard to work, drive do anything

2. BudderMC

Your concern about sleep habits shouldn't be about your weight, but about your basic need to function.

If you aren't getting enough sleep, go talk to a doctor about it. Yes, I know you likely have, but go again. And again. And again. And keep going until you get a solution that works for you.

3. leer

but lack of sleep makes people grumpy

#3 leer, Feb 5, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  4. Hot Pink

I agree with Budder. You should be more concerned with your lack of sleep than getting fat because of it.

5. Wickgaga

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Ugh, I know what you mean about always being tired. I get about 2 - 5 hours of sleep a night, and feel like shit constantly, but it's hard enough for me to fall asleep at night, so sure as hell won't be getting any naps in. :confused:

6. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, when you were diagnosed with the sleeping disorder, did you get some treatments, including behavioural or psycho-therapeutic treatments? Or did the doctor just prescribe the sleeping medication?

If you haven't gotten any treatments, it would be a good idea to go back to your doctor and ask him/her about treatment options.

7. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    no sleep screws up everything. your metabolism among other things

8. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

I've also heard the people who don't get enough sleep tend to eat more as well.

9. wilted

A part of Arizona where it actually snows!
    Have you ever had a sleep study done? I'm assuming so since you said you were diagnosed with circadian rhythm sleep disorder. If you haven't had one or haven't had one in the last year I would suggest getting one done. There could be something else going on in addition to the circadian rhythm disorder.

10. Ticklish Fish

no offense (to the author of the book?), but that sounds like a really ridiculous sleep myth.

Do you know? some people in japan are overworked (or in china over video gamed) that they don't sleep and collapsed?

Please read more about sleep and dieting in other sources.... >_> Some things in this world are harmful misinformation...

#10 Ticklish Fish, Feb 5, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  11. Niqk

Niqk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You're getting obsessed with weight IMO.

And yes, sleeping eight hours a day is recommended, as it might add to a weight problem, and it's still unhealthy anyway.

12. FemCasanova

Sleep can be a tricky thing. I have had minor sleep problems myself for years. It comes and goes in periods. It`s not always easy to "cure". But I agree with a former poster, the fact that you have issues sleeping is more important than whether or not it will increase your weight, which I don`t think you will.

The reason some say that is because if you`re up all night eating, instead of sleeping, then of course you`ll add more chalories. Plus, our bodies are more effective when we get enough rest, that includes fat burn. But it depends on whether you night snack or not, and if you move regularly and don`t just sit in front of a screen 24/7.

13. biggayguy

You might need a CPAP machine. If you wake up tired it could be sleep apnea. You would have to have a sleep study done at a sleep clinic in the hospital. They put wires on your head to monitor your brain activity as you're sleeping. If you think you might have trouble falling asleep in the clinic your doctor can give you a sleeping pill before you go. I get much better sleep now with the CPAP machine.

14. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There is research out there showing less sleep = lower impulse control = eating more snacks and junk food.

Seriously. I saw a study recently that showed that the Monday after the start of Daylight Saving Time, there was a substantial increase in the number of time-wasting google searches during work hours.

CANOE - Lifewise Work: Daylight savings causes workers to slack: Study

15. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The basic idea is sound, but I think the results are massively overstated. It's true that you burn more calories awake than asleep. But it seems most people who get very little sleep end up rather lethargic when they're awake...which would probably negate any caloric benefits from losing the sleep, anyway. Better to get enough sleep so that you're energetic enough to get some exercise in during the day.

Lex