1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The United Kingdom

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Connor, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Connor

Connor Guest

The United Kingdom is made up of four different nations. Namely England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. I've seen many instances of people using "UK", "Britain" or "United Kingdom" as synonymous with "England" it's not. This is a bit bitchy but it gets on my nerves and I think it's good to mention. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Uk-map.svg

2. davo-man

...So I'm still a little bit confused. What is Britain? And my English (subject, not nationality) teacher had a rant about this to us, telling us that a person who comes from London doesn't have a British or a UK accent, because that encompasses Nrth Ireland, Scotland, Wales, instead we have to say an English accent

I can see how it would get frustrating, cos it's like people saying New Zealanders being Australian, and we should not have to take the blame for them (hehe totally joking, hello, we're always trying to take the credit for Russel Crowe, Peter Jackson etc)

3. Connor

Connor Guest

Britain is England, Scotland and Wales. I don't really know why it gets on my nerves actually - perhaps it's just because I'm from Scotland and it makes me feel as if my country is insignificant if people use "UK" as meaning the same "England". Even if they don't mean to. I suppose it's quite petty, but yeah...

Though I think UK should give Northern Ireland back to Ireland, maybe. It doesn't make much sense for UK to have a fragment of a country in it and people who are in Southern Ireland (who I've spoken to and such) seem to think Northern Ireland would be better just as part of Ireland again.

#3 Connor, Mar 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2008
  4. JSG

JSG Guest

My history teacher told me England is not a country...
    Crazy French woman...

5. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I live here and I get confused! I think this is correct:

There are four areas, England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

England, Scotland and Wales combined and is called Great Britain (GB)

England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland combined is called the United Kingdom (UK)

I'm sure someone will correct me if this is wrong.

One thing that annoys the Scottish and Welsh, understandably, is the way the press talk about a "British success" when they win some sport event, but about a "Welsh failure" or "Scottish failure" when they lose.

6. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    This has always confused me. Thanks for the clarification.

7. Jeimuzu

You think we've got it bad? Just consider how the Dutch must feel. Holland consists of about a quarter of the Netherlands.

8. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I invariably use UK, or Britain but not as synonyms. When I say "England" I mean England, not Wales, Scotland nor Northern Ireland.

I just remember that someone from Scotland wouldn't like to be called "English", and that Mary, Queen of Scotland, was executed by order of the queen of England.

9. Davo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No offence to the English on this site, but Scots generally head-butt anyone that calls them English. It's just a fact

10. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

So they should too - Scots are not English, they are Scottish. They are British though.

11. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This itself would have been enough.

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

*runs away before he gets lynched*

12. Ty

Ty Guest

Hmmm

Scotland makes a nice hat for England?

13. Hugh

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ah yes...our long and interesting relationship with France!! may it go on for ever!! The EU would have us believe that England is not a country but there are several million who would beg to differ!! Vive L'Angleterre?

14. sngl

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I always try to use the terms 'UK' and 'British' when I don't know or I'm not sure where exactly someone if from and what their nationality is. I'm a bit more sensitive to issues like this, since my nationality is Hungarian, but I'm living in Romania, so people always call me Romanian. Of course, since they can't know, I correct them the first 1-2 times but if they continue to call me Romanian, I get quite angry :slight_smile: So I try not to call any Scots English, because it can be quite offensive.

15. Skeleton

Hope Wikipedia can give everyone a definitive answer.

United Kingdom

Great Britain

In simple terms, Great Britain is an Island and the United Kingdom is a Unified State.
    Think USA with 4 States.

16. Hugh

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The Scots are very talented and tend to be prodigious drinkers. They have a very romantic view of themselves and do get a bit chippy...especially in the South!! Most people in Britain are mongrels...we have vast amounts of French blood, Scandinavian, German, Roman and nearly 2000 years ago, Hadrians Wall was manned largely by North Africans and other conquered races. I bet a few of them settled! Now we have Italians, Africans, West Indians, Asians, Chinese, East Europeans many of whom will interbreed...does it really matter? Damn right it does!!

17. Jeimuzu

I don't have the french, etc, blood :wink: I'm English, but my heritage is Irish, so meh :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

18. Jamie

Drammen, Norway (from England originally).
    OK... well that's it exactly, each are different countries.. but all are unified under the names UK and GB.

As for the accents, they do sound different depending on the country, but again the dialect and tone sound different even in different places within that country (e.g. scousers, geordies, manks, broomys)

And it despite common misinterpretation, it doesn't always rain in the UK... that's just Scotland. Did nothing but bucket it down this weekend. :slight_smile:

19. Hugh

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Except Luton. Even when it's not raining, it feels like it is...it's that miserable!!

20. Jeimuzu

Pah, miserable? You don't live in Boro. You don't know you're born, you lot. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: