1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone here feel like 'queer' is a name used as political stunt to try to get...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Reptillian, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Reptillian

Does anyone here feel like 'queer' is a name used as political stunt to try to get more people involved including people who does not want to get involved into the problems of LGBTs or having a connotation due to the potential arising problems. Also, another thing is to consider that those people does not fall under the typical heterosexual + hetero romantic umbrella. At AVEN, some asexuals DO NOT want to get involved for certain reasons like lack of interest and/or preference to stay out of problems, but this is one group of people that falls under queer and yet prefers to stay out, but there are other groups as well.

2. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    Re: Does anyone here feel like 'queer' is a name used as political stunt to try to ge

l'm not making the link with the word ''queer'' specifically. You can connect the dots for me if you want lol.

Sometimes l do feel like gay rights are such a part of the "liberal agenda" that people who would otherwise give zero fucks whatsoever about us now support us. But l can't complain about that.

l first remember 'queer' being widely used around 2005, l haven't been an active part of the real life LGBT community since then and am kind of out of touch.

#2 OMGWTFBBQ, Feb 6, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  3. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Re: Does anyone here feel like 'queer' is a name used as political stunt to try to ge

No, I don't really think so. At least that's not why I identify as queer or talk about gender and sexual minorities that way. I use it just because I think it's important to acknowledge people, and I'm not willing to use the alphabet soup.

I understand that there are dissenting views where not everybody is happy with the politics of the word, but at the end of the day, I'm going to keep using it. What you're bringing up is interesting, in that it's the first time I have heard someone who doesn't have an assimilationist or reductionist view having an objection about the word.

4. Pain

Pain Guest

I do not feel like it's a political stunt. It can be used as an umbrella term for the people who want to be involved. If you don't want involved, don't get involved-- political ANYTHING isn't making ANYONE do ANYTHING.

5. FemCasanova

No, I do not think of it as a political stunt either. Rather that having an umbrella term unifies us as a group, and gives us more power as a visible force when trying to change attitudes and political issues. Which is a good thing in my eyes.