1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll on a book ending?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kay, Feb 7, 2013.

?

What ending?

1. Tragic

39 vote(s)
    62.9%
  2. Hollywood Happy

23 vote(s)
    37.1%
  1. Kay

Kay Guest

If you were writing a book and could end it in two different ways, what would you choose and why? Tragic or Hollywood happy

2. Minx

Hollywood happy.

I always want my writing to leave people with a good feeling afterwards.

Sure there's a lot of drama and tragedy along the way, but the ending is a new dawn, a new beginning. :slight_smile:

3. MichaelB

I prefer more tragic endings.

I'm not even sure why. I suppose it depends, but to me most happy endings just seem like a cop out.

For example, the most modern example I can think of (huge Harry Potter spoilers so don't read this if you haven't read them, actually scratch that, huge spoilers for a number of books/plays >.>)

is Harry Potter. The whole plot from about the 4th book onwards was Harry Potter needed to die for Voldermout to die. Yet he somehow survives. With a rather lame reason.

Obviously it's intended audience is children so, I can sort of understand the happy ending... but really, it just felt really really forced and contrived, and I would've much preferred it if Harry died.

Older example could be Pride and Prejudice. That ending is again, in my honest opinion, really forced. Oh... yay... everyone is unremarkably happy with everything they ever asked for at the end. What a fucking surprise haha. I mean, there comes a point where a happy ending is so unoriginal and takes a lot away from the novel :/

Another example could be The Bell Jar. She spends the whole novel whining about her life and how she wants to die, and then out of the blue towards the end, she turn rounds and says 'actually no, I can and will be happy'... erm... well, good for you, but it doesn't fit in with the 'feel' of the book in the slightest.

Really, give me Romeo and Juliet/Hamlet/Streetcar named Desire type of ending any day.

Although again, like I said, it depends on the context and book. Some novels, a happy ending is suitable. Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha, for example, I thought was a rather bittersweet ending; not exactly really happy, but happy enough to be called a happy ending. And I thought that was a really suitable ending.

#3 MichaelB, Feb 7, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  4. timo

There are more than enough hollywood happy books/films/series already, I'd love a dark, tragic ending for a change.

5. Kay

Kay Guest

Thanks sweetie. Hugs I have done the Hollywood ending several times so am cofortable going that way. But the decision is still out on this one.

#5 Kay, Feb 7, 2013
  6. FunnyMonkey

Is say a tragic endings as most of the time when you are reading a book or watching a movie it always seem the same to me, when it's a tragic ending it's gave it that wow factor for me, but that's just me. Do what your gut tells you to do.

7. caughtbywitness

I'm at softie at heart.

(I literally hate it when things aren't working out for a character I like in a book/film!)

8. Kay

Kay Guest

I like your thinking and the way you look at endings. When I think of some endings gone bad I generally find the problem in the middle stages of the book or movie. The author wants to keep it light hearted so the reader will not be suicidal when she/he reaches the last page.
    The choice is made at that point. If you stay light you end light.
    In the James Bond books and movies we see the perfect example. The villain always outright kills everyone else but Bond. The villain opts for the long slow death and Bond escapes. He gets the evil doer. The happy ending came when Bond was spared instant death. Thus the Hollywood Happy ending. Thanks for your input sweetie.

#8 Kay, Feb 7, 2013
  9. Minx

As a Slytherin, I agree. He should have perished. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

(*hug*) :slight_smile:

10. Kay

Kay Guest

Very good. You see to many happy endings already.

11. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would go with a tragic ending because as a reader it keeps me thinking more about a work, and how it got to that ending. For myself, I find it keeps the suspense going until the very end, and it is nice change from the 'regular' endings.

12. Kay

Kay Guest

My gut has told me i should get various ideas from others I really am stumped on which path to take. I am at the crossroads now and have been searching my mind for days. Hugs and thanks

---------- Post added 7th Feb 2013 at 01:15 PM ----------

Your vote than is the happy ending. I am ever the romantic and tragic is less my style. I am though about 50-50 with one no decision as the matter is never fully settle and left to the reader. Hugs.

---------- Post added 7th Feb 2013 at 01:18 PM ----------

You make a great point. You refer to the regular ending as the Hollywood happy one. This is what most people go to the book store for that happy curtain close on the book. Going against the grain can be good. Thanks love.

13. Minx

I like tragic endings, but I think they're becoming just as common and cliche as happy endings.

Never seem to see a middle ground with either. :3

14. Kay

Kay Guest

Middle ground many times leads to sequel. I have given the sequel thing some thought. I think i will end this somehow so it is stand alone and write something new using the base characters next and have serial books. I like stand alone books as everything is now 3, 4, 5 tales and they never seem to have a proper ending after so much length. Hugs darling.

15. Minx

Ooh, sounds intriguing. :slight_smile:

16. aeva

I'm somewhere in the middle. Unrealistic endings bother me, whether they be super-optimistic love stories or tragedies where every character is dead by the end (I'm looking at you, Shakespeare).

If I am reading a romance novel, then of course I want the couple to end up together, but I don't need the scene where they confess their undying love, get engaged, etc. Sometimes it can feel right, but a lot of the time it feels forced. Maybe it's because lesbians tend to take things faster than hetero couples, but the timetable just often doesn't feel genuine in so many romances. If I'm reading a crime/action-type book, I want enough people to die or be severely injured that it's realistic, without wiping out the entire cast.

Overall, I guess I'd say that I like endings to be positive, but not necessarily happy, if that makes any sense.

17. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

I also prefer the tragic endings. I got really frustrated with the Harry Potter series (as much as I'm a die hard fan) because I was tired of J.K. Rowling telling readers "this is how it works in this world" and then creating loopholes for Harry to beat those rules. Like how Avada Kedavra is supposed to break through any other spell but because they share the same wand core, it didn't. Also, how it's supposed to kill anyone no questions asked, but Harry escaped twice because of his mother's protection and because he's a horcrux. I was so aggravated at the last book because I just wanted him to die a miserable and painful death and not fortunately escape anymore. I much preferred the endings of things like A Streetcar Named Desire (or most of Tennessee Williams' plays since a lot of them end in the same fashion).

18. Cthulhu

Either or, depending on the story. I think happy endings tend to feel... more unrealistic, forced, and/or naive. However, it can be fine under the right setting.

I also like the bittersweet endings (eg. A Clockwork Orange).

#18 Cthulhu, Feb 7, 2013
  19. Crystine

Crystine Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Tragic. I like books with tragic endings because they make me think of all the possible "happy" endings there could have been. happy endings just make me go like "nah, I'm happy for them. but I probably won't read that book again"

20. Oddish

Oddish Guest

Tragic. Inner masochist in me prefers abrupt tearjerker endings.

But I do like happy endings, too. But not over the top, sotosay, "Hollywood" happy. Unrealistic endings can ruin a complete masterpiece.