1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Normal??

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MartyK, Feb 7, 2013.

1. MartyK

MartyK Guest

I'm 22 but have never had trouble accepting my sexuality. Yes i was confused as a teenager but i have always felt sure that i was gay. Feeling sure was the confused thing.

I just want to ask other people who have never had trouble accepting their sexuality if they were still deep in the closet at the age of 22.

2. Xochipilli

I'm in a similar situation. I realized I was gay in middle school, and I just accepted it. I didn't question it at all. I found guys more pleasing than woman and I wasn't going to fight it. Many many years later here I am, 22 like you, and I'm not out at all. Just my short story.

3. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    o/ at 28.

For me it's a lot of things. l knew l was gay at 14, or at least knew l liked girls and had never liked a boy. l think l remember making some kind of deal with myself before that, that l would decide waht l was at 14 if l hadn't liked a boy yet.

Nobody (usually) wants to throw themselves into a life that seems harder, especially in the 90s. There just wasn't as much visibility.

But even now it can seem like overrepresentation in the media even with increased visibility.

Basically my fear is never finding anyone l'm really into even if l did come out vs.settling for something l'm not that into but would at least help me keep my place in "hetero society".

lt's not about wanting to be privileged, it's about not wanting to be an outsider. l still miss my relationships with men ONLY for that reason. And that l just liked them, anyway.

Being outside of that, l feel like l don't even know how to make friends with straight people anymore.

4. HelmetBoi

Hey there :slight_smile:

No-one at all knew I was gay when I was 22 and yet I was very comfortable myself with the fact. I don't make any efforts to advertise it now although if people ask directly then I'll tell them, but it took me a while after being age 22 to even be able to do that. Now at 32 I'm still not quite comfortable being able to just blurt out 'I'm gay', at the moment I have no idea whether I ever will be!

It's certainly perfectly normal to be in the closet at 22; coming out is something that happens when you want it to happen and when you're comfortable with it, you don't have anything to worry about. :slight_smile:

5. FemCasanova

Well, I think it depends a lot, for example, I got a lot of support immidiately from home. I`ve not really had unaccepting friends, or at least my best friend was always very accepting. My siblings were super-accepting, and to them it`s like you descrive, always been that way in their minds, so they don`t see anything weird about it. For us, it is normal. Just like my sister likes ripped guys, my brother and I like chicks. She has actually stated that most of the time she feels like the unnormal one, and wish she could sit there discuss hot women with us too.

So, yeah, I think it would depend a lot on your surroundings.

6. leer

I more or less worked out I was gay 11-12 in the showers after PE my eyes were all over the place . didnt have a problem excepting I was gay but I had a big problem with everyone
    knowing I was gay. anyway at 16 people found out'' long story'' ended up coming out to mum&Dad would have found out out anyway school didnt last much longer after that.

I couldnt care less who knows am gay although i am more straight acting always have been .

7. timo

I didn't realise I was gay until I was 20 but I never had a problem accepting it. I did find it hard to come out to others though (and still do), because of the fear of being rejected/ignored/not accepted, and that's why I didn't come out until a week before my 22nd birthday.