1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Ten Commandments

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by mickie newton, Feb 8, 2013.

1. mickie newton

Firstly I am Pagan and have had nothing to do with Christianity or main stream religion for that matter. But I do know about such things as The Ten Commandments, I was at a Church of England school :dry:

So a thought came to mind about the Commandments....If homosexuality is so terrible and hated by god...why isn't it in the Commandments? :dry:

2. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He's getting around to making an 11th commandment just you wait :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. Metleon

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    God hates it because the Pope says so.

4. lxlJDlxl

Actually, it is the church that greatly influences the mindset of people. The false interpretation of men.

5. Yogabear

Yogabear Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Who freakin cares about the 10 Commandments? Christianity is another pagan self-sacrificial religion that derives from egyptian mysticism to even the Epic of Gilgamesh. I'm surprised that anybody believes in any Abrahamic faith for that matter. I'd rather be an hindu than a Christian.

6. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    No idea. l generally don't like to pick apart religion because it requires me to think the way the people who hold the beliefs do which l don't even pretend is my strong suit.

And l don't like to bash it or "challenge" it either, l just don't care.not into it.

l will say that what's in the entire set of text, scrolls, etc whatever to make the bible took place over thousands of years.

lt isn't as if "God" could have said everything he wanted to say in one swift announcement, and l'm not sure how or when the TC were ummm...enacted. But l guess it would have been closer to the beginning of the time of whatever the bible calls civilization.

The interpretation is basically going backwards and working things in, it's not going to be organized perfectly. And that's all l will pretend to know about that.

Also what Yogabear said lol.

---------- Post added 8th Feb 2013 at 08:16 AM ----------

:roflmao:

7. leer

well I herd that god mentioned something but mosses forgot to pass the message on .
    In the game threads there's one where you can make your own 11th commandment
    just for fun .

8. SeerOfHeart

It's not God, or whatever is or isn't out there. Not really. It's the words of people no greater or lesser than ourselves.

9. musicgeek13

musicgeek13 Guest

Well to play devil's advocate: God only set forth the initial ten commandments to begin guiding the Israelites. After the 10, he communicated more commandments that told of sins to avoid. This, if popular belief is to be followed, includes homosexuality.

Not saying I believe this but that's how a lot of christians look at it.

10. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The 7th Commandment is adultery...
    Adultery is defined later by Jesus as merely looking at someone with lust, which everyone does. Homosexuality would be counted as adultery which should not upset or threaten anyone on here, because even though it is made out to be "more of a sin" as other adultery it is not. A straight man looking at a woman with lust is adultery too.

11. castle walls

I'd also like to play the devil's advocate here

Silence on an issue does not necessarily mean approval. Also, like musicgeek13 said, many believe that homosexuality was mentioned in the bible later on. It didn't need to be everywhere. The ten commandments were just a starting point.

Also, the ten commandments are not considered incredibly important these days by a number of Christian churches especially those with a belief in supersessionism.
    They tend to focus more on the New Testament so when it comes to morality they don't even consider what is or is not in the ten commandments

You'd probably get a more complete answer if you asked an individual that practices Judaism. They don't have the New Covenant/Old Covenant/Mixture of New and Old Covenant/Dual Covenant debate like Christianity does

12. mickie newton

Errm Christianity isn't pagan...they worship a single god. In paganism it is many gods and goddesses. Please don't bunching them with us. Hinduism is part of the pagan tree. Along with Druids, shamanism and so forth. Paganism has many branches and not all sacrificed people or animals....but that's something else completely.

---------- Post added 8th Feb 2013 at 09:04 PM ----------

I think you miss read me...I never meant god in the literal sense. What I meant was that 'man' says god hates us. Which is how it always works. Christians, more often than not, think they are gods mouth piece.

---------- Post added 8th Feb 2013 at 09:10 PM ----------

Well that goes without saying. The one thing I will always to anyone who spits the bible at me that it was written by man. It is mas own beliefs and they're way of controlling us.

#12 mickie newton, Feb 8, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  13. Willjarvis

The Ten Commandments don't say anything about general violence. Beating someone within an inch of his life doesn't break any of them, although if one accidently goes too far and kills the victim, one is responsible for one's actions. They don't forbid torture. They don't say anything about wasting one's wealth instead of using it to help those who need it more. The King James bible at least doesn't forbid lying completely, although I've seen more recent translations that do (some of these don't explicitly mention idolatry and they split the tenth commandment into two). So ideal christian morality isn't covered by the Ten Commandments. However...

This, unless one is looking at one's spouse with lust. Good luck following that. The 10th commandment is another thoughts before deeds rule.

Christians are called to spread the word of God. Which isn't to say we know what the word of God is. We have to take man's word for it.

14. Odahingum

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The ten commandments don't say anything about homosexuality, but elsewhere the Old Testament condemns it in the strongest terms.

15. Mogget

The Ten Commandments are only ten out of six hundred thirteen commandments found in the Old Testament/Hebrew scriptures. They were seen as a sort of encapsulation of the other six hundred three, but they weren't treated as exceptional in early history. Later, Christianity liked them, and used them even though the OT was theoretically rendered invalid and replaced by the laws of the New Testament. That's an oversimplification, but it gets the essentials.

Many Christians would tell you that homosexuality was forbidden by the commandment "Do not commit adultery," which they expand to include all non-marital sex.

16. Ridiculous

As always, "The God of the Christians is a father who is a great deal more concerned about his apples than he is about his children."

17. Yogabear

Yogabear Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Mikey,

I've studied the trinity that is three God's in one but separate from one another. You conveniently forget that this is debated till this day whether there is one God or multiple God's even in he christian denominations by philosophers. Also, christianity via roman catholicism adopted pagan ideals like the Christmas Tree, St. Nick and the pagan Easter bunny e.g sign of fertility. Lastly, did you know that christianity had nausticism that was wiped out even by the Early Church Fathers? This concept that was based in Middle Eastern Isis like idolism like christianity is idolist with crosses, cursifixes, books, rituals, and etc that are very much in common with pagan ideals.

18. Stage Wanderer

I don't no maybe a homosexuality is still a sin christianity but not as awful as these 10 commandments, and people fight it hard because it's a strange thing to them that they don't understand.

#18 Stage Wanderer, Feb 9, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  19. starfish

It was a pretty good movie.

20. Stage Wanderer

hahahaha

good one