1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay Village

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by nanoman, Mar 8, 2008.

1. nanoman

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The other day, I visited my grandmother who lives around the downtown area. She got one of those notices that tell you that you have to pick up a package at the post office because you weren't there to sign for it. She and I didn't know where the post office was, so I consulted a map and got a rough idea of where to go. Little did I know that the post office was located in the Gay Village! I only realized when I saw the rainbow banners attached to the streetlights. I walked by what I *think* were hustlers. :icon_redf When I walked into the post office, I thought, "Yep, that's one gay". :grin: And then when we were waiting for our package, one of the deliveryman was talking to a female coworker, saying that he was going to work-out afterwards. :lol: I thought it was funny because it was so stereotypical. We got the package, and went back to my grandma's place without incident.

My anecdote aside, have you been to your city's Gay Village? What was your experience like?

2. biisme

we have no gay village :frowning2:

3. sdc91

Hmm, I haven't been to Montrose in Houston, but I've been to Oak Lawn in Dallas and Davie Village in Vancouver, B.C.

With my family on both occasions and I wasn't out then. *Awkward turtle*

In Oak Lawn we ate at Eatzi's, which is an upscale deli. There were a couple really buff guys there with some really gay sweaters on (lol) and then a straight couple on bikes, except the husband was wearing really tight, pink, short biking shorts.

In Davie Village we waited outside a restaurant (Stepho's Taverna! It's the best.) on the sidewalk for a couple hours and I watched gay couples kiss each other and hold hands while walking down the street. A few were cute. There were rainbow banners everywhere, too. lol

4. iPieman

We don't have a "gay village", but we do have Brighton (which is a beautiful sea-side city) which I guess is the UK's version of San Fransisco.

5. Alexander

I wish there was a gay village here :frowning2:

Unfortunately, this town's barely big enough to have a straight village.

I guess there's a club about 15 miles away, but that's as much gayness as we've got around.

6. Kimi

Never went to one.

Here in Japan, I don't think gay village exist...

And back in the states, I don't think Birmingham, AL had a gay village...Cuz if we did, all gay guys have been shot....I think.

:eek:

7. JWAD

JWAD Guest

I want a gay village here, that'd be fun:icon_bigg . I didn't even know about gay villages till now, lol.:lol:

8. Hepcat

I don't think there's anything like that in NZ. So no. Actually I didn't realise some cities had gay villages. :confused:

9. Luroon

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Loring Park in Minneapolis is where it's at round these parts. Being winter and all, things are pretty subdued and such though.

10. panda

Toronto has a thriving Gay Village area.Church and Wellesley Steets in the downtown center. Pubs, Cafes ,clubs . Also a second Village area has appeared called Queer West.
    Toronto's a very gay friendly town.:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

11. divadarya

We have two in my little teeny hometown of Los Angeles, California. We have West Hollywood, of course which is like the Gay equivalent of Disneyland, although I think the Castro in San Francisco is a little bigger. My friend and I just ate at Hamburger Mary's in WeHo last night and it's so much fun to be part of the dominant culture, although there was one straight couple there(they like the music and the energy)
    There's also Silverlake which is Artsy first, Gay second but there a lot of gay men and women there; it's more of a downtown settled vibe. There's also one little pocket in North Hollywood.
    I love my city, for all her flaws..:slight_smile:

12. divadarya

There was a gay village when I visited Houston, Texas, but those were some TOUGH gays...everyone in Houston was carrying a gun when I was there, so maybe that equalizes things.

13. Quitex

Quitex Guest

a GUN???
    o_o
    No, we dont have gay villages here in El Salvador. The closest we have to a gay village is.... a mall... where... gay people... makes out and then.... gets bullied by some juvenile bands in that area.... not.... so.... safe.... :confused: :confused: :confused:

:tears: someone come here, I need some gay buddies.... *looks at his list and only recognizes either straight or VEEEERY closeted friends which I guess there should be but I dont know, LOL*

14. Zec24

Well there's certainly not a gay village in the one-horse town I currently live in. However, just down the road a ways NYC has THE Village, which is pretty gay at times.

15. justjoshoh

My town is just on the cusp on having one. Within the central business district there are five gay bars within a city block. A lot of the residential redevelopment in the neighborhoods in and around the central business district are attracting a fair share of gay people. Last year the city commission took a proactive step passing a city ordinance that included sexual and gender identity in its anti-discrimination ordinance. There is talk of future developments to include a mixed-use "artistic community".

Outside of my town, I have visited Short North in Columbus, Ohio and Boystown in Chicago, Illinois, and the Gayborhood in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. All were positive experiences, and would recommend traveling to those areas if in the region.

16. Nicknikko

I've been in Montrose!!! [our "gay village"] lmao

:grin:DDDD

17. Swimmerboy

I live in Dallas so there are gay communities all over. Cedar Springs is one of my favortie places in the whole world!!!!:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride: :newcolor: :newcolor: :newcolor: :newcolor: :newcolor: :newcolor: :newcolor: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride: