1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do people make you feel ashamed of being gay?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Caliber, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Caliber

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My parents and some of my friends are making me constantly feel ashamed of being lesbian, i was wondering if anyone else has the same problem

2. my mum used to and a lot of my family. (*hug*)

3. leer

I had a few so called friends who thought i was going through a phase .

4. Minx

These two missionaries who used to cruise the library tried to make me feel ashamed, they were all smiles though. None of that overt bigotry.

It didn't really work since I thought one of them was cute. :lol:

5. needshelp

that was how i ended up being in denial of who i was in the first place. being somebody that was already a social outcast as a kid and bullied by some of my peers, i was like "i might be gay. there goes the big whammy" and this was around my preteens. i chose being accepted by my peers over being myself.

6. My religion (Catholic) did. My crush used to call me a faggot a lot, so even though he didn't know, in a way, I felt I was being punished for liking him.

#6 wonderingdave01, Feb 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2013
  7. Oddish

Oddish Guest

My dad makes me feel ashamed but that's about it. Sigh.

8. MartyK

MartyK Guest

But your status says you're not out so is it personal or do they just say things you take personal? Maybe they have an idea that you are gay and say these things to see how you react.

I think it would be easier to come out if the people close to you had an idea and you knew they would be accepting.

9. MerBear

ehh kind of. my friend alex....i came out to her and she completely ignores me when i try to tell her something because it involves the same sex so then i decided i would so the same for her.

if your sick of hearing about my ex girlfriend in whom i have never spoken about
    then i wont even acknowledge you have a crush on a guy in the other school.....but either its all the same. i never listen to her anyways

10. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    l had a similar thing. l wasn't bullied but l was weird growing up and nobody hesitated to let me know(especially girls).

l decided to become more outgoing in 8th grade after falling into a massive introversion hole for a few years. And it worked, people liked me, l had all kinds of friends, they even liked that l was weird(this was before being "weird'' was normal), etc.

l was figuring out l was gay around that time, coming out and losing those friends just wasn't an option to me. But l did become so depressed from hiding it that l stopped socializing anyway.

11. Tiny Catastrophe

My dad and my step-mom constantly used to make me feel ashamed when I had come out as bi a few years ago and told me it was a phase because they were constantly comparing me to my cousin who I was similar to when I was younger. My cousin had went through this time where she dated a girl for yearsssss but only because the girl provided her with drugs whenever she wanted them and because she was desperate to be loved. Now she got over that and had a baby and is with a man. So they figured I was just dating girls for attention or to be like my cousin. Even when I recently came out as a lesbian to my dad he still thinks it's a phase so I just don't talk about it anymore.

12. ilovecats

ilovecats Guest

Never had a problem with people over my sexuality. My sexual orientation is accepted, though other traits of mine are hated.

13. Eatthechildren

Whenever I try to talk to my Cis best friend about my body issues over being genderqueer, she tells me that I'm whining, and that I haven't had an eating disorder like she has, so I shouldn't talk, and that if I actually wanted things to change, I'd do something.
    It really hurts :frowning2:

14. AKTodd

Not if they know what's good for them, they don't.

Some years ago I had an employee of mine (a former pastor) invite me out to lunch and then try to tell me that being gay was a sin and that I should seek conversion therapy. After mentally spitting on my hands, I proceeded to spend the next 45min tearing his arguments into little quivering bits and driving him almost to the point of fits of hair pulling. And I was totally polite and never raised my voice or lost my cool the whole time. He was not a happy camper by end of the conversation.

Admittedly this is rather easier to do when you're not in school.

With that in mind, I would never forget the following:

a) You are not the one with a problem, they are the ones with a problem.

b) You are perfectly fine the way you are.

c) There are a lot of people out there (including on this list) who do like you, or will like you, just the way you are.

d) In the not too distant future you will have much greater power to choose your associates and can go hang out with all the cool people who like you for you.

e) Only you have the power to make yourself feel shame. All anyone else can do is try to convince you to exercise that power. Learn to control your power.

Hope this helps,

Todd

15. Thatoneguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Outside of myself when I was younger no one has made me feel ashamed. That being said my dad doesn't know yet so that may change in the future.

16. Furmanuel

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm only ashamed because society is a BITCH!!!!!!!!
    Just my $0.02.

-E.F.

17. Maryam

im still in the closet but the way others talk about people who are out makes me ashamed and makes me not want to tell them

18. Hot Pink

My mom. The fact that I'm gay and trans. She fought me at every turn for me to stay as I was because she was afraid of what others would think. It's very frustrating. I spent all of my life being afraid of what others would think. It's so freeing to be rid of that and just live my life the way I want to.

19. Lozloz

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I haven't come out and the way my friends talk about being gay or straight makes me scared that they wouldn't accept me for being bi or wouldn't understand it. Also one if my friends talks about me being gay in such a jokey way like the idea of me being in a relationship with a bother girl is ridiculous. It makes me scared to come out.

20. I'm not out but I'm sure if I was they'd try (wouldn't work).