1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what do you do for charity?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by flyinhernikes, Feb 10, 2013.

1. if anything. or what would you like to do?

im guilty of not paying enough attention/doing enough for charity.

this year i want to grow my hair a bit longer and then cut it all off so i can donate it to the charity that makes wigs for children with cancer. my mum hates the idea and i personally dont like myself with reaally short hair but its for a good cause.

i also want to do the race for life in july (raises money for cancer).

what about you?

2. Tazzy

I am secretary for a local cat rescue but sadly having to give it up soon :frowning2:

3. FallenAngel

FallenAngel Guest

That's awesome. My friend also cuts hair for the same cause. I think it's so beautiful. I'm starting to think I should do the same.

I give clothes to the white rose center which is a place that takes care of pregnant women who have no money or support.

4. x Wallflower x

I always put money in collection boxes when i have change it's not much but every little counts i guess.

5. Colours

I donate €5,- a month to 3 different charities. :slight_smile: One for building schools in Africa, one for a cure for women's heart diseases, and one for animals who are close to be extinct because people hunt them down. I know €5 isn't much, but at least it's something.

But to be honest I didn't come up with donating myself, it's because of those people who work for the charities and come up to you and make it very hard to say no. :x

6. Motov

The only thing I can contribute is myself for research for PD, I'm willing to get poked, prodded, filmed, anything they want to help find a cure for this disease.

7. Minx

I restrain myself from slapping idiots, that's my charity. :lol:

Kidding aside, I haven't done anything very charitable lately. I would like to volunteer at a dog shelter some time in the future. :slight_smile:

8. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I used to toss money in the Salvation Army pots before I learned that my money is going towards anti-gay marriage funds thanks to them. :slight_smile:

I occasionally stop by the hospital and donate. I dropped off $25 in their bank a few weeks ago, and the woman at the front desk shook my hand and thanked me. It was a nice feeling.

I want to volunteer at an animal shelter or at the hospital whenever I get the chance.

9. MartyK

MartyK Guest

I was giving community service one time and the punishment was i had to work in a charity shop. I enjoyed it and did a great job. The people there told me i was very good and i quickly became a part of the team. They even asked me to come back but i have full time job so i never did go back to help but i do bring in clothes and other things that they sell. I've always been the person to drop my change into the charity boxes in shops or give my loose change to the guys dressed as cartoon characters collecting in the shopping centres or along the road.

Just like with everything else i tend to do little things, more than some and not as much as others.

10. DanD

I orgainsed, and participated in, a 24 hour drum-a-thon back in 2009. Lot's a people got involved in aid of teenage cancer trust, pancreatic cancer and Ugandan orphans living with aids. I managed to raise just shy of £2,000 for them. I don't give to charity regularly as I simply cannot afford it.

11. FruitFly

In general I give what I can to who I can when I can.

On a more specific note I tend to promote the work of the British Association for Adoption and Fostering and the Oldies Club. I know I can't do anything else, so I promote their work and, when I can, do a little fund raising. The local dogs home gets towels, duvets and mattresses from me as/when I acquire them (I tend to badger people about throwing such things away when they could be put to use elsewhere...) and the cats home gets sacks of food on a monthly basis.

When I have more time (and an actual income rather than living from savings) I intend to do far more. Ideally I'd like to go back to being actively involved with some of the smaller homeless charities. Depending on how my future pans out I would hope I'd have enough time and disposable income to actually do something. We'll see.

12. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

For Christmas, I tell family to donate the money they wouldve used to buy some of my presents to Oxfam

13. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Annual, I donate $240 to the Friendship Center, and $240 to the Helena Food Share.

14. FemCasanova

We have this thing in Oslo, Norway, where homeless druggies on the street will sell a magazine, called =Oslo, and half the profit goes to the seller, half goes to those that make the magazine for them to cover the expenses. It`s a nice community program, where they don`t have to beg for money, but can feel like their doing a job instead, and they get to chat with people and be social. I think it`s great, so I often buy one and stop to talk a little. I try to do it as often as I can, when I am not broke myself.

I also try to give to Frelsesarmeen, which technically is a Christian thing, but they have proven to use their money well (a lot of these organizations here tend to steal most of the profit, so that very little of what you give actually goes to the purpose they claim) they give out food to families that struggle during christmas and run shelters.

I don`t have that much to give, but I try to give some, and if everyone gives some, then it can become quite a lot. So better to give a little than nothing, that`s my philosophy. Just validate that whomever you give the money too will actually use it for the purpose they claim, or it`s wasted money, and you might as well buy a homeless guy new shoes or a cup of coffee instead.

:wink:

15. DeanIsHome

The only thing i do is i volunteer at the local national forest park and we make trails and clean

16. castle walls

I've dedicated my life to helping others so I'm always looking for things to do. I strongly encourage people to try and donate their time as well. A lot of charity organizations have trouble getting things done because of a lack of volunteers. Donating money is great but volunteers are needed as well. If you have a few extra hours a week or a few extra hours a month you should be able to find a volunteer opportunity that fits into your schedule.

I spend several hours a week working with the mentally ill, domestic abuse victims, child abuse victims, elder abuse victims, suicidal individuals, bullying victims, the unemployed, the disabled, and people in crisis. We work with a wide range of people.

I've also volunteered to feed the hungry and went to a foreign country to volunteer there as well. I also donate money to various charities when I get the chance

17. Tiny Catastrophe

I did that when I was really young.

18. prism

I've done a lot of volunteer work. I don't have any money to give, so I try to give as much of my time as possible.

& since we're talking about donating hair, I've donated three time to Locks of Love. :slight_smile:
    I also donate blood whenever I can. I'm thinking about joining the bone marrow registry because of the need for hapa donors.

19. 461 467

I've never actually done anything (except giving blood, once), but I'm trying to make a habit of donating money to charity regularly.

I donated $100 to a local gay and lesbian center recently, and then $50 to a disaster relief charity that a friend of mine insisted was extremely responsible with the money they raise. That was a few months ago, so it's about time for me to donate again. I'm undecided on which charity to donate to, however. Maybe an autism research charity.

20. leer

I donated to local charities last year at Manchester pride I think some people arnt aware of the fact that money raised at pride events goes to various charities I want to do something this year help out at events .