1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do You Remember the First Gay Person You Ever Met?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by OMGWTFBBQ, Feb 10, 2013.

1. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    Mine was my cousin Russel, when l was 8. He was working at the Estee Lauder counter in the mall at the time.

He later moved to NYC and has a corporate position with EL :slight_smile:

2. Minx

I was 14, went to get a haircut. I was left alone as relatives went off to shop.

My stylist/barber that day was gay, effeminate, and kind.

He could tell I liked guys right away, and commented as such. It was something we didn't speak about in my family, so I sat quietly, uncomfortably.

Never saw that guy again, but if I had the chance I'd hug him tight. His intentions were good and although I was uncomfortable, I was happy knowing I wasn't alone. :slight_smile:

#2 Minx, Feb 10, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  3. Rivers

My dad's colleague and friend, John. I was six at the time, and I thought that he was absolutely hilarious when he did an impression of my dad.

I still see him sometimes at my dad's school.

4. Thatoneguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My neighbor who was my age. He didn't come out until after high school, and I haven't had any contact with him either. Its funny that we grew up together and neither of us confided in the other. Both of us waited until after high school(and leaving home) to come out which tells you a lot about my hometown.

The first person who was out was at a summer camp for advanced students when I was 14, I'm still friends with this person today we kept in contact over FB and he was the first person I confided in during my coming out process.

5. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

Hmmm... Thats really hard! I dont actually!

6. DeanIsHome

My classmate Seth was a really feminine gay and sadly i was a terrible little asshole jerk and i bullied him for being gay and now i guess i'm getting my karma.

7. Tim

Tim

This actually intrigued me.

If you go by people I met that ended up coming out, then yes, my best friend for pretty much the entirety of Elementary School.

If you mean first person I met that was openly out... not really. There was a guy in Middle School that everyone knew was gay, but he wasn't out.

It was probably one of my sister's friends.

8. Bolin

The first openly gay ("bisexual", at the time) person I met was in my orchestra class when I was in 10th grade. Didn't really like him all too much. :lol:

9. Splenda

I don't think I met any openly gay person in real life until I was in my last year of school, what a sheltered life I've lived :lol: A friend of a friend came out as a lesbian. But I had never been friends with her personally. Met a few more openly gay/bi people since college though :icon_bigg

10. Kay

Kay Guest

Yes her name was Ruth. She was a dear friend. I loved her dearly as a friend. We could talk for hours on any topic. Awesome woman who passed away far to young.

11. FruitFly

I was 16 when I met Holly at college. Not only was she the first openly gay person I had met, but she was the first woman to actively want to date me.

Apart from her tendency to attach quickly to people and proclaim her undying love for them within the first week of knowing each other, she was a cool cat. I remember she had loads of tattoos and brightly coloured hair, quite a few piercings too, with a very intense personality.

She was a very close friend for 3 years, looking back I should have taken better care of our friendship.

12. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

The first actual gay person I met was my 9th grade English teacher. Word was that he lived with a guy and this was back when gay marriage first got legalized so supposedly he ended up marrying the dude. It was never really confirmed but he had the mannerisms and if we asked any other teacher about it, they became really evasive. So in retrospect it probably was true.

13. AKTodd

A guy in my town growing up who volunteered to teach me some computer programming as part of the gifted student program I was in. He also taught/tutored myself and the other guy in my grade advanced math or something. One day he took us out to the local diner for pie and when we were coming back into the school he commented on a truck driving by that he'd just broken up with his boyfriend who was following him. I think I just sort of when 'huh' and continued inside. Didn't think much more about it.

My boss at my job in college was gay and out. He was the first person I came out to and was something of a mentor to me during the early part of the process and a friend later. We still keep in touch all these years later.

14. remainnameless

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Me either!

15. Mogget

My parents were friends with an older gay (male) couple. But I didn't really get what that meant, at the time, and they moved away when I was around ten or eleven.

16. prism

My sister. :slight_smile:
    She came out to me when I was still in grade school.

17. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

The first gay guy that I met in real life was a kid in middle school. I remember the poor kid was always being bullied and being made fun of. I was mosre disgusted by the idea of him that by the bullying, which is very sad.

The first gay person who I had any real interaction with was this guy in my high school who was openly gay, but he was still a very popular guy, student leader, and very accomplished for a high school kid. He kind of gave me a lot of hope for my own life. I still have some contact with him which is pretty awesome.

18. Kidd

Kidd Guest

Yes. When I found out that my uncle was gay. He had just bought a new house and my parents took me to go tour it with them. It was enormous. Very nice, very classy. My mom told me that my uncle had a "roommate." On the way home I asked my mom why their house was so big, but they only had one bed? I was a smart kid. I was in Kindergarten or first grade.

19. Daveed0527

Daveed0527 Guest

The first gay guy I met was in high school. He was 2 years older than me and very flamboyant. He and I arent in contact much lately.

20. worriedWardrobe

The first gay guy I met was my seventh grade english teacher, Mr. Edwards. Though, he never mentioned anything of his personal life, he was definitely gay. He had the mannerisms, and was in a professional color-guard team. I loved listening to him read. Probably one of my favorite teachers ever.

The first gay guy I met that was my age was in eighth grade. I never spoke to him, but I was extremely intrigued by his sexuality. (This was long before I even questioned my own)