1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I charging enough?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Orion, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Orion

Firstly, No it's not something dirty :lol:

I'm doing a translation job (freelance), technical english to spanish. The book (s) are manuals of ultrasonic probes for testing of corroded materials :eek:

Haha, anyway, I translated the first book for about.. 500 pesos = 160 US dollars. The book was about 150 pages in word. Later converted to pdf. Besides the translation I also scanned and fixed the graphics. After that I compiled it all and send my client a final copy.

So.. was the price right? I mean it took me my sweet time, and now I'm translating a second book, around the same amount of pages.

The problem is, I don't actually have a title that enables me to professionally perform translations. All my training in English (spanish is my mother tongue) comes from my cambridge certificates (CAE level).

How much should I charge for the second book?? And what about the first one?
    (THX for the read, I don't expect anyone to read it all though :kiss: )

2. Micah

Depends on how many hours you've worked.

Just divide the money you earned over the number of hours worked....

I don't know how long it took, tho' i suspect you may be a little underpaid.

3. justjoshoh

I'm not sure what 500 pesos will buy in Argentina, but it is probably a low estimate given the work that you completed. I completed a Google search for estimates on prices of translation work. For documents that are over 30 pages, it looks like the going rate in the United States is about $0.04 per word. For technical documents it looks like the going rate is $0.075 per word. Given the rate of $0.075 per word, the average number of words per page (250), and the number of pages of the document (150), the total is about 17 times too low. In addition, you include expenses like fixing the graphics should be included.

Unfortunately, you have agreed to the amount for the first and perhaps second document. Given that, you should stick to the original estimate. Otherwise, it would damage your integrity. If you feel undervalued, the next time the same company hires you for future work, consider raising your price, indicating to them that the previous price was an introductory price.

4. Orion

Oh my god according to that that book would have made my month! And in dollars :frowning2:
    The worst part is that I have already agreed to 400 for the second book.

Now it'll take me forever to finish it knowing I'm partially wasting my time.

I did the word count for the first one and it should be .. 2221 dollars = 6997 pesos :eek:

Anyway I still don't think anyone pays that amount for a translation, at least not in Argentina. What is worse, when I made the deal I was underage, so the payment was not 'legal' as it was just cash. And the problem is that I know the guy who hired me (works in the company), so I can't be a jerk about it.

5. justjoshoh

You might try to network with other translators in Argentina. They may be able to give you a more accurate amount for that market. If you are feeling undervalued, offer a higher proposal based on the information you receive from them.

Like I said about the first two books, charge what you have quoted, it will go to your integrity. If nothing else, you will have a good reference for other projects in the future.

6. Alexander

7. Louise

I agree with Justjoshoh, you are being grossly underpaid. The thing with the integrety...yes I agree to a certian point but where is the integrety in getting a minor to do a professional job then paying a pitance c'ash in hand' knowing that you will not be able to defend yourself! Integrety works both ways.

I would go and see your friend, explain that for the first book you didn't know the rates, the job is done now so let it go but, for this book, you now know the going rates and feel that you are being knowingly exploited and would like to re-negociate. If they were happy with your first job for them and they are honest then they should at least double your fee.

If they refuse negociations you can just explain that you will do the job because you have given an undertaking to do so but that you will only be able to do it in your spare time as you need to work to have money!

I say knowingly exploited because before this company hired you they would have looked into translation costs. They have had a jolly good laugh at your expence, your work has enabled them to sell their product to overseas companies thus bringing in money for them, you have every right to ask for a reasonable rate... let's say half of a professional rate (since you are not a professional). That would certainly seem fair to me.

Good luck... make a stand, you are being exploited!

8. 24601

Like everyone said, I think you're being underpaid. Although it might just be classroom talk, I've read in Spanish class the large sums of money good translations receive. I would follow Louise's advice.

9. sngl

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OMG!! $160 for 150 pages of technical translation??! :eusa_doh:

Usually, a translator charges about $15-$20 for one page of translation. And even though you aren't a professional translator, you still could have (and should have) asked for more money. At least $750-$1000.

Though I'd say don't try to change an agreemet you already made with someone. If you agreed to translate the second book for $400, then don't say you won't do it, that's very unprofessional. However, next time you'll know that you can ask for more because the work you're doing is not that easy at all.