1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ugh its so hard finding a job

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ok455, Mar 9, 2008.

1. ok455

I quit my job at target a few months ago because of some issues.

Now i'm looking for another job and its the hardest thing in the world. I applied at dead kmart and got a interview and the old lady is bug out.She looks as old as the kmart building

I applied at the Hospital for a kitchen position and the lady said the application process takes a while and i think they want experience people only

I applied at this store called Marshalls (Department store) and i got a interview and the manager said after a certain day if i don't get a call from him hes not interested in hiring me And of course no phone call. I guess i dint do well in the interview i thought i did decent and funny enough they are hiring for more positions

I applied at these little convenience stores and they are hard to get into .

And i applied at Bed Bath Beyond they said no experience needed willing to train and i know they been hiring for a while maybe they will call

I applied for home depot and they been hiring for ages. I even called them the lady keeps saying i will be reviewing applications next week and they are still hiring for positions!

I applied for this non ghetto Macdonald's

I'm hoping someone will call this week

Before yall say go to school or whatever im trying to get a crappy job so i can be able to go to school next fall.

I'm hoping someone will call i try nagging them but i just get the same line. i swear trying getting a job is the hardest thing in the world. Only places that will hire anyone is factories but they have those 9 to 12 hour shifts and they are so terrible.

I don't understand why stores are so picky with hiring people.

Thanks for listening to my rant

Its pretty sad how some of these stores been hiring for years and years and years and they will not hire anyone. And when i go there its understaffed

#1 ok455, Mar 9, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2008
  2. justjoshoh

Well as a former manager for a retail store, I would suggest that calling over and over again is probably a bad tactic. I would close out the application when someone would do that because it got annoying, and 90% of the time I didn't even get the phone call, rather just the message from someone else. The stores generally have someone in place answering most of their inbound calls. They are supposed to give that same line.

We just got out of the end of the fiscal year. It is more difficult to find a retail job during this time, any given year. Considering the economic outlook and the sluggish retail sales this past quarter, it will be difficult to find a position, especially if your region has been hit hard with economic decline. A simplified version of the overall equation is:
    sales - costs = labor hours

With increased costs and the aforementioned lower sales, companies are having a difficult time expanding labor hours. It takes too many labor hours to process an application, interview, hire, and train a new employee, especially considering many in the sector leave before it becomes beneficial for the company. If a company has enough staff to get by, chances are that they will not hire as many people, or not at all. They will accept applications, though, and may even keep hiring signs out. That way if, and more likely when, they have to deal with attrition, they will be able to select from a rich candidate pool.

With an increasing number of people losing positions in higher sectors, and an increasing number of people securing second jobs because of personal financial struggles, a company can be more selective in its hiring practices as well. There are several candidates that have years of experience looking to pick up that same part-time position you are applying for. Unfortunately, overqualified people are absorbing the jobs in the sector.

Good luck in your hunt. If all else fails, take the factory job. Consider it as experience, whether pleasurable or not, and a way to reach the ends of your means.