1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many openly gay kids were/are there at your school?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by LiquidSwords, Feb 14, 2013.

1. LiquidSwords

I'm just wondering because reading people's stories on here it seems quite a few people have openly gay kids at their school which is something I never experienced.

At my school there was one kid who everyone presumed to be gay because he was effeminate but he would deny it if anyone asked, nobody was openly gay. Even though he denied it he still got a pretty hard time for it and it makes me wonder how an openly gay kid would have got on at my school, I just can't really imagine it happening or anyone being prepared to be open about being gay at the school I went to. I don't even want to think what it would have been like if I'd come out at school.

So what's everyone else's experience, if you or another kid are/were openly gay at school how do/did people react to that? Just that I'm struggling to imagine a school environment that isn't seriously homophobic. I was in school quite a while back mind, maybe things have changed?

2. Thatoneguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I was in High School there was only three openly gay students(I wasn't out yet). The the two guys was bullied a lot, but the girl was essentially left alone.

After graduation a lot of people in my grad class came out, especially once they left the small towns to go to university.

3. Lewis

None. There were those that were suspected to be gay, sometimes I got the odd gay comment.

I left school two years early due to bullying. Apparently after I left two girls came out as bisexual. One later came out as a lesbian and the other straight.

4. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I'm kinda open at school, I just don't announce it but I do look gay (rainbow bracelet and that such), if someone asked I'd just say it. I don't understand the fuss to release my sexuality out to everyone for no decent reason.

I know a few bisexual kids at my school but they aren't open. My best friend is pansexual, and she's the same as me. Not exactly out and about but isn't in the closet either.

5. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    ill answer with HS. And l'm 28 for reference.

Pretty much 0 at my first HS(started in 99), l went to alternative school later. A small group. Maybe 3-4 gay, and some Bis thrown in.

6. Deaf Not Blind

tons! it is practically a gay school.

7. leer

none that I know of but we had a teacher who we all guessed was gay found out later he was gay The school I went to was not the best to come out as gay .

8. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There were a few that were out. We even had a FtM trans guy that was out. My school really didn't about these sort of things. Instead, they were more concerned about drugs and sex. (Not everybody, just most people.)

9. June Cleaver

For me it was back in the 80's and nobody was openly gay. I was very fem and small well into my 20's and would have been bullied had I not had a special relationship with the school bully who lived five houses down. He pretty well insured my safety from 6th grade up. We broke it off when I was 20. I did get hit on a lot durring high school so there must have been lots of bi guys in my class. I grew up in a large city, once out of school, I never looked back. June

10. Bolin

This guy who was in my orchestra class in high school was openly gay and his (then) boyfriend was, too. Most people came out after school, though.

11. MichaelB

None, although one of my friends told me the other day that apparently I was suspected of being gay 'cause I never talked about girls... although tbf, I never spoke about guys either 'cause back then, I really did identify as asexual.

College is different though, I know plenty of gay guys/girls that attend my college. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

12. timo

This. There weren't any openly gay kids in my highschool, but some kids (including me sometimes) were pointed at.

We did have one or two openly gay teachers though.

13. Eatthechildren

There was a girl in last years year 11 who was out as gay... But she was so butch she'd beat up anyone who was homophobic to her XD

I think everyone assumes I'm a lesbian. I'm cool with that :grin:

14. Connor22

uhh well when I came out just the 1 other guy and he was really popular so nobody really bothered him, I got bullied a lot though :/ but now (3 years later) there's about 5 as well as about 3 suspect (including one I have an eye on...)

15. Harve

In my sixth form there were quite a few, but still in a single figures. It was so big that I didn't know everyone there. Definitely only one at my old school, where there were only ~25 in each year, and that one was me. :grin: I left at 16 but still keep in contact - no-one has come out.

16. user name

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    in my 7th there were only 2 girls that were openly gay (they was 13 i couldnt imagine comeing out that early) but they do what they wanna but back to story. they were never mistreated they was in a relationship sit next to each other make out etc etc no one bullied them. i woulda thout they would have had a rough time but no anyone that would mess with them would get messed with because these girls where looked up to like the popular kids they didnt get no bad grades from teachers because they were who they were. they just had a normal school year like everyone else and they still are in high school

17. photoguy93

Gosh - none until middle school. I think there was 1. But it might just have been that he was out to his friends. I was out to mine! But not to everyone.

High School included myself and about 3 other guys. There was one that was just so flamboyant, yet he was "not gay." either he wasn't out then, OR he just didn't want me to know (perks of a small school!) As time goes on, I'm learning of more people (as it always goes.) But there just weren't that many! And I think there's actually a few more now, but it probably isn't much different.

18. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  19. ilovecats

ilovecats Guest

A lot, mainly bisexual people, but still tons of gay people. Mostly girls, less guys are out.

20. Nevermind

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    By the end of my last year of school there were 4 of us, two gay boys, me and a bisexual girl.

There were probably others that I didn't know about though, this was a school of 2000 kids.