1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving to America need help with High School Grad requirments

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Rayze, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Rayze

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hye i'm from Canada and I wanna do a student exchange to america next year for the entire year. My question is... will I be able to graduate with only 1 year of high school (that being my senior year) under american standards? I mean i have grade 10 and 11 in canadas format but would that translate in to america as the same?

2. justjoshoh

Education requirements are one of those powers that, under the Constitution, are left to the States. That is, each State has its own criteria for the standard of education required to matriculate through the primary and secondary coursework. The organizations that help students in study abroad programs, like AFS, should be able to help you in that regard.

Good luck!

3. ok455

What he said

I know here in nj you need 4 years of gym 3 years of math, and a bunch of other crap

I would think it would be easier just to finish up high school in Canada

4. trumpetkid23

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Part of it depends on what state (and high school) you'll go to, but I'm pretty confident that you could work it out so that you'd graduate. I mean, they'll definitely make special leeways, especially since you've been in school in Canada anyway.

5. Ty

Ty Guest

I've never liked the American education system >.<

6. mark4444

mark4444 Guest

Well i live in oklahoma and i have had friends move from california and all they had to do is talk to superintendent of the school district to sort it out for example in oklahoma you get .5 credits per part class and in california its like 300 credits for a class its complicated but they give alot of leeway

7. GunStarre

GunStarre Guest

In California (at least my school), the students have to complete the A-G Requirement (4 years of English, 2 years of Science, 2 years of P.E., etc.) and students must pass the CAHSEE (California High School Exit Exam) to be able to be legible to graduate.

It is. The only reason why I know the requirements is because I'm taking a college prep-class, which I'm quitting this year since it really doesn't help me.

8. mark4444

mark4444 Guest

sry it is just wat a friend told me