1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rainbow flag pens. Cool or not?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by 461 467, Feb 15, 2013.

1. 461 467

One of my hobbies is doing small woodworking projects. I particularly enjoy making writing pens from various exotic woods. About six months ago, I had the idea to laminate colored woods to form a representation of a rainbow flag. I chose Curly Maple, with stripes of Bloodwood (naturally red), Afzelia Burl (naturally orange), Canary (naturally yellow), Box Elder Burl dyed green, Box Elder Burl dyed blue, and Purpleheart (naturally purple). I think it turned out quite well, and I sold it to a friend for $50 or so, a few days later, but I'm wondering if I should make a few more.

What do you guys think? Is this cool, or tacky?

Attached Files:

2. Minx

I think it's neat, custom made! :grin:

3. BudderMC

I think it's pretty cool, if you like pens. I personally am a pencil guy, so I don't care much.

It does look good though!

4. 461 467

I actually do most of my writing with disposable erasable ballpoint pens. Fat, fancy wooden pens are not convenient for everyday use.

5. AKTodd

I think it looks pretty neat:slight_smile:

I'm not into designer pens per se, but a handmade wood pen that is also 'family friendly' is something I would definitely have to think about simply as a collector's item (I'd put it in a nice case or something and display it). There's a bit art festival that goes on here every year where that sort of thing might sell quite well simply on general principles w/o regard to the gay theme. There's also a 'high end' woodworking shop in town (if this is what you do for fun, you probably know exactly what I'm talking) where something like this would fit right in (they mix the tools to make this sort of stuff in with examples of what you can make. They have an all wood carved kayak in the window).

Given as a graduation/anniversary/other gift under some circumstances (where fancy pens are an accepted gift) to an LGBT friend or family member I think it would be quite nice.

My 2c worth,

Todd

6. Last Gentleman

I carry a big tactical pen with me (be careful with the non-writing end of it!), so not really into wooden pens. But I think that looks quite nice. Very subtle and not over the top, but still enough so show your pride.

I'd make a couple of them to try and sell. As far as I'm concerned, it won't be the rainbow that limits their sale, but interest in wooden pens. You may find some gay lawyer who'd love one for his desk.

7. Rivers

I love pens. They seem more precise to me than pencils. I would keep a pen like this on my desk. It's a novel idea.

8. returning

I thought it said rainbow cloud penis...:icon_redf

9. Delta

I think that's awesome! I would love to own a pen like that.