1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you agree with this quote of mine?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Theagonist, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Theagonist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    "It's not my place to say or decide what is right; only to commentate and be a skeptic - that is how we will achieve truth, my hypocrite reader... and writer"
    - Wyatt Loethen

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If all anyone ever does is be a skeptic, than who will take the first stand? And what is commenting if not giving your opinion on what is right?

^^Not necessarily disagreements, as it seems like the quote is going for "humility is important because we don't always know for sure." But personal convictions on right and wrong aren't inherently bad. Just question your values carefully, and strongly support the ones you've settled. :slight_smile:

3. to an extent, depending on what angle you're coming at when you interpret "right"-hood.

for example, i DO believe it is my place as a citizen of America to speak up and call out the government if they ever start to oppress my rights. i DO believe it is my place to judge what is right for me because that is something self-evident. it's an emotion that boils down to "i feel good with x" or "i feel bad with x" and cannot be rationalized further.

i understand where he's going with the quote, but i can see certain exceptions to the case. i still like it though, thank you for sharing!

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not sure if you're talking about rightness within the context of moral truth or argument. If you are, I disagree with the whole of it. Respectfully, I think it is your place and everyone's to discuss what is or is not morally right. It is possible to be wrong about a moral statement or to have intense disagreement. But that doesn't mean there isn't a fact of the matter.

However, I feel that there is value to your sentiment that we should not be quick to make judgments without considering all evidence and views.