1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting a Gay Straight Alliance

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Aielar, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Aielar

So, I was talking to the facilitator of the safer campus initiative today about lgbtq support groups/resources in my community and after she made a phone call to a support group for fifteen to eighteen year olds, it became obvious there wasn't much support in this town for lgbtq folk. So, after talking about the idea, we've decided to try and start a GSA group in March and, in her words, 'paint some color on this black and white town'. As a result, I'm feeling quite inspired about my role in making the changes I want to see in my community happen.

We've got a first meeting planned out if anyone has any other suggestions of things they have done in their lgbtq groups, I'd appreciate hearing about them. What events worked, which ones didn't, and why they did/didn't work in your community. I did take a look at the GSA/ACLU thread that's posted here, but if anyone has other resources that give ideas/guidelines for the group, that would be great :slight_smile:

Thanks for reading/suggestions :slight_smile:

2. Luckily, my school is pretty liberal so we have plenty of ideas. Back in my first semester this year, we handed out free wristbands to spread LGBT awareness during National coming out week. It was to see how many people support LGBT rights.

We also had a couple of LGBT teachers at my school, a gay spanish teacher and a lesbian AP Literature teacher (who is my GSA adviser), to tell their coming out stories so it would encourage some homosexual kids in the GSA to come out first to the club on that same day and eventually to friends and family.

Usually during every meeting, we discuss LGBT related international news, play survey games to see how the club feels about different parts of the LGBT community. Last week, we watched a documentary of people who came out during the 50's, a time when the topic of homosexuality is unspoken of.

I hope these suggestions helped :slight_smile: