1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In The Eyes Of Others

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Gen, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Gen

Gen

I was just in one of my philosophical moods lol, and I found it interesting how one-side our minds are in relation to the rest of the world and its peoples as whole.

It all started when I, like all of us, asked that question of "What does he/she see in me?" Especially, when we are fancied by people who are entirely different than us. Different race, different build, even different personality. We know what we love about us, but what does that mean to them, what interests them in us? To be able to walk in the shoes of my friends, family, and admirers for a day. To see and feel the emotions or perceptions that I give off.

I supposed this topic doesnt have much use other than random psychological babble, but I am just wondering if any of you ever wonder "What am I like to everyone who isnt me?" "How do my actions or personality come across to those who cant read my mind?" What do they see that our minds are unable of fully comprehending?

2. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

I heard something interesting a while back that made me think. A girl I know said "you know when you suddenly see someone and your heart starts pounding, your palms get wet and you get butterflies in your tummy? Well I wonder if anyone ever feels that way about me." It got me thinking! We think about falling in love with others but dont really think if anyone ever falls in love with us! Does anyones heart start pounding when I walk past? Do they feel euphoric and in love when I walk by? Interesting

3. well people are different, and with this differences comes the things that they pick up first. some people noticed my looks first, my humor first, or thought i was a total piece of crap as their first initial impression of me, despite my similar and consistent behavior for all of these people.

the things we notice and don't notice about ourselves are there and can't be denied, but rather, it is the acceptance of it that differs between people and creates varied perceptions of others onto ourselves. if you have a sarcastic sense of humor and you meet someone who does the same, chances are the two of you are going to connect. if you meet someone who finds that sense of humor as rude, chances are, probably not. i hope i was able to express this idea coherently.

essentially, how we are like to everyone else differs depending on what they are looking for in you. this determines the "type" of person you are. you can become either "that guy over there" or "oh man it's THAT guy! ahaha man let's look on cause he's so awesome", or whatever, for different people.

"It all started when I, like all of us, asked that question of "What does he/she see in me?" Especially, when we are fancied by people who are entirely different than us. Different race, different build, even different personality"

imo, the question of "what do you like in me?" when it comes to different race/builds/etc. is really just calling out the fear of being different in a homogeneous group. diversity and variation should be embraced for the good of what it brings because they all bring good feelings to everyone. by rationalizing differences and trying to filter them through different sets of "norms", we are trying to homogenize everyone and become slightly different clones from each other. it is this disparity that the question rises from, imo; at least, from what i noticed when other people ask this question as well.

for example, if i had sex with a skinny, twink white male and enjoyed it and i had sex with a muscular, bulky asian male and enjoyed it, that enjoyment is universal between both examples. you are still getting that same feeling in both scenarios, just triggered differently. that is embracing diversity. (ok well, sex=/=diversity lol but you get my point).

that's just my two cents in this question.

4. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I always wonder the same thing, too. It's interesting to ponder if anyone I've walked by, if anyone I know in my daily life, thinks that I'm absolutely gorgeous and admires me so. I tend to think nobody does because I'm not special, but again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I'm not very physically attractive - but some girls have told me that anyone who's with me would be extremely lucky. I wonder what they see, what they're noticing about me that I don't notice myself.

Maybe there's a girl (or even guy) at school who secretly admires me but never shows so, maybe the kid I sit next to in my chemistry class thinks I'm charming, lol. I wonder how I come off to others in those ways. It's interesting to ponder about it, all of the different possibilities. But maybe that's the intuitive part of my personality. It's interesting.

5. Gen

Gen

To Bright: Yes, I see what you mean and I do understand that aspect. Though I dont mean in a matter of "how could someone love me, or find me attracted". But more so in a question of "What am I to everyone who is not me?"

How do I appear to the random person that passes me on the street, or to my best friends, my closets relatives, or most prominent admirer? Of course, there really isnt an answer to all of this, but I just thought it was an interesting topic, because in a world where comparisons are always made between one another, we really dont all see the same picture.

Exactly! There are when all of us wake up and just feel like shit because one small pimple or hair is out of place. I mean, something completely ridiculous, and I think its just interesting to know what it would feel like to not have our thoughts cloud our mind. Whether they are positive or negative; What it would feel like to be entirely neutral when looking at ourself.

What do I really look like when I smile? Whats the first thought that comes time mind when someone meets me? Its weird to think to think about fascinating.