1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homophobia on another forum..

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Dovahkiin, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Dovahkiin

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not sure if I'm posting this in the right room but I'm just so wound up.. On another forum, people are being very stereotypical about gay people. Saying that football is too macho for gay men and there's lots of lesbians in womens football etc. It's winding me up so much!!! *deep breaths*

2. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah I think it's sad that people have to view people as "masculine" or "feminine" based on sexualities. The only difference between straight and gay people is their orientation. No exceptions, no excuses.

3. Dovahkiin

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Couldn't agree more! It's so incredibly frustrating.

4. SomeKid

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It is annoying. People don't understand that you can love watching the real housewives and be badass at football AT THE SAME TIME.

5. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Besides, who says that "masculine" traits are even masculine? It's just the preconceived notions people have about traditional male vs female characteristics that have been passed down and interpreted as such!

People think: strong=masculine; nurturing=feminine; because that's how we've been raised to think.

People are just people.

6. Dovahkiin

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Exactly, same goes for the lesbians all play football thing, the only time I'm interested in sports is when I'm watching it with the girl I like and that's only because she enjoys it, other than that I'm just like "No -.-.." lol!

7. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    l used to listen to similar things on another forum, but of mostly women so it was more covert. Don't think they don't say the same things though, hetero women IME love gay boys and have funny ideas about lesbians.

Plus they assumed a lot about me based on my personality which they said was "masculine" (l was accused of being a dude more than once).

They knew about my orientation, l never said much about it. Tons of the girls saying things like that were more physically "manly" than me anyway, l just posted a pic one day and noticed their tone change xD

8. AaronG

AaronG Guest

Couldn't agree more.

9. ioden

What's much worse is that some gay/lesbian/bi,etc people tend to embrace such stereotypes. Some think it's OK to them to behave like females just because that's the social norm. Here in my country, Ecuador, gay men on TV are either 1. hairdressers, 2.chefs/cooks, 3.gossip show hosts. How they can't beaware that they're spreading stereotypes is simply amazing.