1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where Should I Volunteer?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by myheartincheck, Feb 16, 2013.

1. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I saw the other thread about how much volunteer work you guys all do so I thought I'd ask...
    I'm currently volunteering in a couple places, but I want to dedicate time to another opportunity to help out.

What causes would you guys like to support if you could? It might give me some ideas. :slight_smile:

2. Minx

Doggies! :redface:

Well, animals in general need help and care. :slight_smile:

3. Kay

Kay Guest

Find an LGBTQ organization near you and see what they need. There are so many opportunities to assist in shelters answering phones or stuffing envelopes. The help is always greatly needed. Hugs

4. Mogget

Volunteer for something you're passionate about, not something that you think you should be passionate about.

5. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm definately considering helping out animals. :slight_smile:

The only problem is that there are no LGBTQ organizations around my area... :frowning2:

6. sunnii

Is there a volunteer centre in your area? I went to my local one and had a one to one interview with someone who I talked to about what I was looking for

7. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not that I'm aware of... I googled it but can't seem to find anything. Then again I got distracted when I saw there was a Job Openings section...

Oh wait I just found a bunch of different volunteer options...

Still curious what you guys would recommend/are passionate about though. :slight_smile:

#7 myheartincheck, Feb 16, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  8. castle walls

I agree. You probably won't enjoy the volunteer work if it isn't something that you're really passionate about. I recommend that you think about what you'd like to do and then google a place you can volunteer nearby.

Sometimes, I volunteer to feed the hungry but, usually, I volunteer to assist those that are in crisis and/or suffering from a mental illness

9. Mochi

I have spent a lot of time helping at a vet clinic and a humane society. Now I'm starting up with volunteering at a zoo soon and I'm so excited :grin:

10. BudderMC

Thirded. And seeing as you're likely volunteering in some sort of environment that deals with "customers" or "patrons", if you're unhappy it'll show. And if the whole point of volunteering is to help out someone else, that isn't exactly helpful, is it?

Anyways, I do a fair bit of volunteering myself, now that I think about it. When I was younger, I used to volunteer at my mom's work a lot, in group homes for people with developmental disabilities. It was important to me because it was important to my mom mostly, but I grew up with a lot of these people.

At university, I volunteer with outreach related things. I like to represent my faculty and make engineering seem more accessible to people who are turned off my some of the stereotypes. I helped out during frosh because I wanted to give back to the new first years what my reps gave to me - really share the love of why university is so awesome, even for the shy awkward kids.

I've also started volunteering with my school's LGBT center, though that's mostly so I meet other gay people (as I know close to none...). Oh, and of course I mod on here. :slight_smile:

Volunteering to me is about giving back. Think about something that really helped you out, or something that you wish you could have had, and run with that.

11. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I'd love to volunteer at an animal shelter sometime. I've also heard of volunteers who help out at vet offices, as well. I was considering volunteering at the hospital for the longest time, but the only position open was for the gift shop... I just really want to work the phone.

I think volunteering at an LGBTQ organization would be neat! Too bad there isn't one near you. :frowning2:

12. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow you guys are so inspiring!!!

There are so many places I want to volunteer... I want to help those with HIV/AIDS, get involved at the animal shelter, help out at the Rape Crisis Center, help Senior Citizens with the Never Alone Program... just so many but it's so hard to choose! I already volunteer a few places so I don't want to overload my schedule for when I am able to get a job but just choosing one is hard when I want to help all these different causes!