1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay Straight Alliance is awesome!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by anthonythegamer, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Anyone in GSA here? If you aren't, then you should try joining :grin:

2. Bassplayer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am, but my schools idea of GSA is one meeting and then no more. like, ever. I wish they did more.

3. GSA meetings should be at least twice a month. People can't talk about LGBT issues and stuff in few meetings.

4. DeanIsHome

I don't even know if my school has one. never heard or seen anything about it.

5. That sucks. Isn't Seattle one of the most liberal cities in the US? I mean, it depends on which area you live in but you should try starting one if there is no GSA. There might be more people in favor of having one.

6. DeanIsHome

It is liberal but i live in the Southside of Seattle which isn't very liberal or open minded

7. I went to the weekly meetings when I first started college, but I stopped going after freshman year. Now I'm too nervous to go back.

8. Well... it's worth a try to start one. The teens in where I live now used to be leaning on the conservative side in terms of LGBT and now, our school's GSA is somewhat popular.

9. Gerit

I go to school in a farming community in Kansas. I don't think there's going to be a GSA here anytime soon.

10. Thatoneguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am involved in mine as much as I can be, we don't do much but we meet at least once a month. Its more of a social group though, we meet and hangout/watch a LGBT themed movie.

Its more of a social group, I've met a couple friends through the society.

#10 Thatoneguy, Feb 16, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  11. Suffocation

12. DeanIsHome

That sounds like so much fun! i want to have a club where i can watch movies like that too!

13. My GSA meets once a week to talk LGBT news and just like you, a LGBT themed movie. Fundraisers are the best part of GSA :slight_smile:

14. Pain

Pain Guest

I had never been to such a thing in high school. In college, it's fun, but dramatic and seems hook-uppy.

15. Aielar

I'm in the midst of starting one, actually, as my community doesn't have any lgbtq groups for those above the age of eighteen. I'm hoping to make it a balance between social events (such as movies, etc), and more serious matters (such as visibility, fundraisers, equality, etc).

16. Well good luck to you :slight_smile: and yeah, the first thing should be trying to have people to notice.

17. bambam07

Starting up a GSA at my school was a big thing for me this year(I am good friends with the founder) and the kick-off was huge. We got hundreds of signatures for allies or LGBTQ youth and the meetings (we have 30 minute ones during lunch) started out with a lot of participants.

Unfortunately, the people in charge decided to just have a few meetings based on planning something for like Day of Silence or National Coming Out Day. I was hoping we'd have more social events or group discussions on various things just to educate and share. We aren't even meeting anymore. *sigh* I guess I'll just have to socialize with other LGBT teens on the internet.

18. ilovecats

ilovecats Guest

My school has one and I went to the first meeting. Then I was homeschooled for awhile and went back to school and now I don't know if they still meet. I really want to rejoin.

19. Clubsolar

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Im pretty sure a small town in Georgia wont have one