1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

would you date someone without a college degree?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Stridenttube, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

Just out of curiosity, would you date someone without a college degree?

2. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  3. knine

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    grew up in a trailer. worked at a factory before going back to school. so yeah. those are my people. except that they are homophobic and always treated me like I am weird for being effeminate and nerdy. But in their defense I am those two things. :slight_smile:

4. Rivers

Probably not. I would want to date someone who is knowledgeable, a good conversationalist, and able to hold a stable job with good pay. If someone without a college degree is able to do all those things, then sure.

5. AaronG

AaronG Guest

Sure, why not? but he would have to be trying to do something with his life and not just stay home all day without any life goals.

6. Thatoneguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It would depend on a lot of things, but I'm guessing no. If I did I doubt it would last long, I want someone who can converse and be knowledgeable.

7. Nurse Shark

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Totally. A degree is nice, but it's not the one and only indicator that a person is intelligent. Who a person truly is is much more important than a fancy degree. That said, being in college, a person will be more likely to meet another collegiate.

8. FruitFly

If we click then we'll click with or without a college degree. So it's highly possible that I would.

Personally though I generally do not get to interact with many people without a degree of some sort, and when I do it's not in a romance kindling capacity as I'm the person they do not want to see with my risk assessments and guidance notes. So opportunities to test the theory that I would date them are limited.

Hmm.

#8 FruitFly, Feb 16, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  9. Minx

Of course. :slight_smile:

But, I'm biased as a dropout! :lol:

10. TestingitOut

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah. Im with those saying that a college degree doesnt mean someone is intelligent or not. Some of the most interesting, intelligent, well read people i know never went to college.

11. ForceAndVerve

Of course! Don't be silly! :lol:

12. castle walls

I would date someone without a degree but I'd prefer that they have one.

I'm planning on getting my doctorate so there is a good chance that I'd be making a lot more than someone without a degree. My issue isn't that they don't have a degree. The issue would be that I'd probably be supporting them financially which is something I'm not interested in doing. I want to be pulling in around as much cash as my partner. If they didn't have a degree but were pulling in around as much cash as I am then I won't have an issue

13. SmokeandMirrors

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's more to a person than their degree. What about those that pick up a degree but are not the above or what if the degree is undesireable. It doesn't dictate who they are as a person and I think it would be unfair, vain and arrogant to judge somebody based on this specific criteria.

14. x Wallflower x

I don't think schooling is overly important and some poeple just don't do well in a school environment but i don't think that means they're unintelligent and i wouldn't write someone off because of it.

15. Oddish

Oddish Guest

Of course. I mean, I'd rather date someone who has an interesting career/passion for whatever they do. Doesn't necessarily mean they have to have a college degree, I can name about 3 people who have jobs I'd love to have, and they only have their high school diploma.

16. 461 467

Degrees are not a measure of anything other than how much money people spend for a piece of paper.

A lot of people have this idea that having a degree equates to knowledge, intelligence, or work ethic. That is not inherently true. Some of the greatest minds in history were that of people who were uneducated in the formal academic sense. You do not necessarily have to be intelligent to earn a degree, either. I've met professors with a ridiculous amount of knowledge that did not seem particularly intelligent by their outward behaviors. (In short, there are different kinds of intelligence.) And of course, just because someone worked hard in school does not by any means guarantee that they work hard at anything else. Well-educated people slack off at work and do nothing productive all the time.

17. Rivers

I know that there definitely is more to a person than a degree, but I feel that in modern society, having a college diploma is vital in getting a good job. And I, personally, would want to be with a person who has a good job. I wouldn't want to be the sole supporter of my family, but it's up to you.

18. prism

I know very intelligent high school dropouts that study independently, and I know plenty of college students who can barely manage to put a coherent sentence together. College degrees aren't a measure of intelligence.

19. TheSeeker

Yeah... It really depends. I have my degree, and plan on at least a Master's in the next few years. It is very important to me that whoever I date be able to connect with me on the same level intellectually. I will happily date someone smarter than I am, but the other option I find less appealing.

It's mainly speed and content of social discourse that is important to me. I have met several people that have no degree that meet those criteria regardless, just as I have met people with a degree that are dumber than a box of rocks.

There was a girl that I went to school with. I took her on one date, and when I realized that she just "didn't get it" then there were simply no more dates after that. I was raised by two PhD's I just expect conversation at a certain level if I am going to date somebody. Being friends with someone is another matter. I can put up with much more of a divide in either direction from my friends.

20. returning

As long as they can keep up with my intellectual ramblings.