1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lent is difficult

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by HP7465213, Feb 16, 2013.

1. HP7465213

Is anybody on here a Christian and decided to give something up for the season of Lent? I gave up cracking my joints and swearing and I am finding it pretty difficult, but I will persevere!

What did you give up? Just curious :slight_smile:

2. BornInTexas

I gave up playing XBOX. So far so good. I'm not a christian or catholic in any way, but my family pushes me to at least do something during this lenten season.

3. Deaf Not Blind

not catholic, Baptists don't do nothing that day.
    i saw on here 1 chick gave up internet and EC...ok...not best plan.

um, maybe you can count what i started TO DO...I am doing push ups daily. :slight_smile:
    i think cracking knuckles in long term wont be great for you...some peeps will be so annoyed they wont wanna date you, so u prob can use that as a focus...dont pop cartilege so u can pop dicks!

4. BornInTexas

:roflmao: LMAO!

5. Deaf Not Blind

Just saying!
    I am an honest guy...bluntly so.

I bet the visual image while doing the rosary of all the balls he can feel up for keeping his lenten promis feels realy good!

6. Daveed0527

Daveed0527 Guest

I'm not Catholic, but I am Christian. I'm giving up coffee this Lenten season. I usually give up in the first couple days, but this year, I'm sticking it out! :grin:

7. Deaf Not Blind

I hate coffee, good job!
    Let's bring down Starbucks!!

Oh and long live TEA!

8. Gerit

I gave up lent for lent.

9. newdown

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I just enjoy cheap fish sandwiches at McDonalds.

10. Daveed0527

Daveed0527 Guest

Ah yes! Long live the tea-drinkers!! :grin:

11. Eric

Back when I was a catholic, I tried to do things for lent like not swearing, not chewing gum, and other such nonsense. I don't think I ever successfully sacrificed anything for 40 days without cheating. Shows how good a catholic I was. :slight_smile:

12. Silvails52

Not a Catholic, but I am a Christian. I didn't give up anything for lent.

13. brightside80

Gave up eating extravagant meals, and opting for very simple meals (or only one plate of food at a feast).

Taking up more time with God :slight_smile: I am a big believer that giving up something without picking up something else would be hard, because I tend to think more about the thing I'm giving up rather than the thing I am gaining. :slight_smile:

Blessings on your Lent.

14. BudderMC

By no means am I religious nor am I participating in Lent, but I think that's a pretty cool mentality you've come up with.

15. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Do Christians usually give up something for Lent?!?!

I'm Christian but I don't even know when that starts... I thought it was for Catholics!!! Boy do I feel sheepish!
    :lol:

16. Devious Kitty

Catholics are christian...

I don't do lent, as I'm not a believer, so my opinion may not be of much value. However, Ive never understood the idea of giving up something for a short period of time. If something is worth giving up (like a bad habit,) then why not give it up for good? Why for example not start only drinking water instead of something like sodas for good rather than just a few weeks? /My 2 cents.

Also OP, are you giving up cracking joints because you fear it may cause arthritis? I only ask because its a common myth and bothered me for a long time. It won't give you arthritis or anything else harmful (so long as its not causing you pain, in which case you may have some sort of injury.)

17. remainnameless

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ya I didn't even know what Lent was until a conversation at school last week, where one of my friends announced she was giving up chicken for Lent XD

18. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    LoL I know but I thought it was only for that sect of Christianity. Sorry I should've been more clear. :grin:

---------- Post added 20th Feb 2013 at 09:19 PM ----------

LoL Right! I just fast on my own without time frames :lol:

19. Lent began on February 13 this year (2013) and Easter is March 31st for Western Christians (Protestants, Anglicans, Roman Catholics). The Eastern Orthodox Christians start celebrating Lent March 18th and they celebrate Easter on May 5th, 2013 this year. Just thought I'd throw that out :slight_smile:

20. brightside80

Thanks BudderMC :slight_smile:

True. However, it's not about giving up a bad habit per se. It's just about giving up something that you rely on so that you can focus on your spirituality. It's also about trying to figure out if there is something that costs money that you are spending on unnecessarily, now is a time to break that and question why you are doing it. And, use that money for something better (charity, help a friend in need, random act of kindness to a stranger, etc.)

The hope of Lent in giving up a bad habit (vs other things you give up during Lent), is that after the period is over, that you would be able to look back and see if maybe, just maybe, you can do without it and see how that thing has maybe pushed you backwards instead of helping you to move forward.

It's simply a reminder of a sacrifice that Jesus did for people. And no, it's nothing like him dying or working through people's religious bull, but its a reminder that maybe we can live life more simply than we thought, and asking ourselves, how are we making the world a better place for others?