1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homophobia

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Dublin Boy, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    When you listen to homophobic's, they have this stereotype view of a Gay man as being very camp, very effeminate & flamboyant who pushes his sexuality down their throat (no pun intended :icon_bigg) Do you think that the media make it more harder for people to come out of the closet, I don't think it helps when the only gay men on TV are camp or portrayed as camp, the last gay soccer played who came out in the UK justin fashanu & I think the only one was rejected by his own brother who was also a soccer player & ended up killing himself after his life went down hill, no soccer player in the UK has came out since, which is quite sad, if only more sportsmen like the rugby player Gareth Thomas came out & other Gay men in the public spot light who flew in the face of the Gay Stereo type, then maybe coming out would be more acceptable & more important easier, what doe everybody think?

2. Dovahkiin

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In my media studies class we're actually covering this topic right now, the media represents gay people, black people, elderly people, disabled people, people with mental health problems etc all in a very bad light which is leading people to have more stigma towards them. It's just really wrong.

3. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If all the people who fitted into those categories, stopped buying Newspapers that were guilty of this, I wonder how many Newspapers they would sell :slight_smile:

4. Dovahkiin

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    lol! Probably have to go into administration or something lol!

5. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If David Beckham come out & said "he was Gay" what a roll model :slight_smile: & who would the women chose as a gay role model?

6. Dovahkiin

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I already have a female lesbian role model, you heard of Lucy Spraggan? She was on the X Factor last year :slight_smile: She's gay :slight_smile:

7. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    She is quite cool, she reminds me of a young Victoria Wood :slight_smile:

8. sanguine

It doesnt matter, the reason for your own coming out is because you as a person were strong, and not because some camp queer on tv made you hide.

dont look for scape goats.

9. Lewis

In the LGBT news forum there's a topic about a footballer (soccer) that has come out in the past week or two. He hasn't been rejected at all and is pretty hot if I say so myself.

I think there's a lot of positive role models in the UK. Not only was Lucy Spraggen a lesbian, but so was Jade Ellis. Oh and a member of union J is gay. So that was 4 gay people in the live shows of the X Factor.

10. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's not about scape goats, it's about education, Homophobia is ignorance fuelled by media stereotypes which might make family & friends harder to come out to, if they have these views, I may feel strong enough to come out, but the fear of rejection & losing someone I love & care about may out weight the situation!

11. sanguine

Well, you also have to see it from the stereotypical gays view also, you would think that we, the LGBT know what it feels like to be in the minority, but we persecute 'camp' behaviour like its a bad thing for us, which in turn cause a minority within a minority to be created more commonly referred to as internalised homophobia.

look, people will always judge you if you arent what they think is normal, so why be so afraid of being who you are? I think thats one thing camp gays get right, and thats not giving a fuck and living, and thats respect well earned from me.

12. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Xfactor has done some good then :slight_smile: I saw the soccer guy Robbie Rogers, he's American, there is still a problem with coming out in British football, I love people like Graham Norton & Paul O'grady & respect them for what they have achieved in life, perhaps shows like the Xfactor will change peoples perception of what Gay people are like & that there are 2 sides to the coin, there are both camp & non camp men & butch & non butch lesbians :slight_smile:

13. Harve

Gareth Thomas is a hero.

14. TestingitOut

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Androphilia by Jack Malebranche is a book Ive read recently that puts forth the idea that the way that the media portrays gay men doesnt just have an effect on how straight culture view and stereotype gay men, but also how gay men themselves shape their gay identities.

I thought it was really interesting saying that the idea of being femme or flamboyant, lisps and limp wrists are social cues we learn as "homosexual" and adopt in order to fit into that social group, just like how other groups have a shared identity and certain ways of acting/dressing/speaking that makes them form that group identity. It also says that homosexuality itself has nothing to do with this stereotype, but its actually hyper-masculinity... you know men desiring men for the manly traits they have.

It was a fascinating read, but not quite being the epitome of masculinity myself, i thought it was pretty down on the more campy and feminine gays out there, as if saying that way of expressing ones self is fake and to be avoided. A lot of masculine gays try to distant themselves from the more flamboyant ones because of this desire to get away from that stereotype.

So even though I really wish there was a more diverse representation in the media, both to show the diversity of what it means to be gay to straight culture, but also as role models for young gays who may not fit this mass media approved image, so they know its ok to be a manly gay or a "normal" guy who happens to be gay, i also think its important not to demonize the campy let me do your hair gurl image, because there are gays who are like that, and they should also know that its ok to be like that too, even if its not an accurate portrayal of gays as a whole.

15. emancipation

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I think part of being camp has essentially nothing to do with sexual identity as such, but with the personal involvement in defending it in social context, where this identity and it's expression are controversial. Camping is partly a form of protest and as such it would have never occurred when homosexuality was generally accepted. This means also camp itself is affected by social struggle and will appear different in other circumstances.

#15 emancipation, Feb 17, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  16. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Having only recently self-identified as Gay, the question did come to my mind as to whether there should be some outward manifestation of that inner transformation.

I felt a kind of need to make it obvious. Could it be simply a matter of making it easier to find a potential partner? Or, perhaps, more deeply, it is a way of confirming in the physical realm, an almost talismanic need to have some sign or symbol of that transformation?

I have affirmed that my orientation is but a small part of me...but I struggle with that idea; it will shape my future life in profound ways, I cannot deny it. So some way of getting the message out there seems perfectly appropriate, not by changing my behaviour in any way, but I do need something tangible, otherwise it's only all in my head!

17. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So even though I really wish there was a more diverse representation in the media, both to show the diversity of what it means to be gay to straight culture, but also as role models for young gays who may not fit this mass media approved image, so they know its ok to be a manly gay or a "normal" guy who happens to be gay, i also think its important not to demonize the campy let me do your hair gurl image, because there are gays who are like that, and they should also know that its ok to be like that too, even if its not an accurate portrayal of gays as a whole.[/QUOTE]

I could not have put it better, Diversity is the key word here, if we were all the same, there would be no closet, I would be interested to know if anyone who is Gay & camp, found it easier to come out to people because people already guessed?

18. because the stereotypical camp gay male reinforces the stigma and stereotypes of the lgbt crowd. it's the same case as race stereotypes, with the whole "asian nerd" or whatever black stereotypes apply (can't think of any at the top of my head), indian, etc.

the personality of whatever stereotype, itself, isn't really a big deal (except maybe any dangerous stereotypes), but it certainly does stigmatize the group of people associated with whatever stereotype is at hand. it's a natural thing that just occurs, that's all. but the effects of these reinforcements does shorthand other people's confidence within others when they come out. ALSO, by coming out, the person is also put under fire within these stereotypes.

and no, stereotypes do make coming out a hell lot more difficult. just look at the sport/jock scenes when it comes to coming out or the boys scout situation with coming out. these stereotypes reinforce a negative image on gay people, so thus, they're put under fire in some groups; for anyone coming out who applies to these groups with prejudice, yeah actually, they will be having a hard time coming out. being mistreated is inevitable and who seriously wants to be mistreated?

it's not a matter of "finding strength" sometimes, y'know; it's a matter of coming out in a group while still being able to maintain "membership" (not literally) within that group. and some group DO have a stigma against gay people because of prejudice, which is fueled further by these stereotypes.

nobody knows the situation EVERY person goes through in coming out, so i dont understand your sweeping generalization about "strength" when it comes to coming out. sometimes the strongest people are going to get screwed over by coming out, even if that's not what they wanted.

even for your Average Joe with bigoted parents this applies. by coming out, he may/may not (sometimes does happen) get booted out of his house. how is it being weak when coming out is difficult because of a factor that you can't control? maybe i'm not seeing it the way you're explaining it or whatever, but idgi.

19. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    As you may have noticed I have not got the hang of high lighting Quotes :icon_eek:

20. emancipation

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    True sexual libration would mean there was no closet at all for any sexuality. Ever heard of a heterosexual coming out? Ever heard of a heterosexual coming out and having negative comments?

I only know of such a thing in cases of 'sexual converted' people (from homo to hetero) being accused of treason or weakness.

In stead of empty closets there should be no closets. Prejudice is the only reason for 'coming out', so it will certainly help when some people show their sexuality beyond stereotypes associated with the closet. If some gays just appear the 'same' as 'normal' lads, it will become clear sexuality doesn't necessarily define personality and expression.

But, in fact there are 'man-like' gays and sometimes they like each other. In this latter case coming out will be some unnatural step to these men, because it is naturally exclusively expressed in their erotic intimacy. So in this view one would ask something more from them than one asks normally from heterosexuals. Are they obliged to become heroes?

I think main strategy shouldn't be to push ambassadors forward, but to nuke prejudice. This can be done by presenting gays in fiction (in movies and stories) beyond the stereotypes. Actual coming out is not something you can ask for. One does it either freely and by own initiative or better not.

#20 emancipation, Feb 17, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2013