1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay guys, how do you self identify when it comes to masculanity?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by jutwanahaveboys, Feb 17, 2013.

1. jutwanahaveboys

So I have a few questions, and boy what wouldnt I do for answers. In the gay comunity, what guys are more often found, the masculin, the feminine or the ones in between? Iv been told that while im not exactly manly, im not obviously gay to most people, unless u have a really good gaydar, and its mostly the type im attracted to. I know that for a fact, had i grew up in an open and 100% gay friendly and liberated community, i would have had so many fem gay friends, but I must confess, and I feel guiltyfor saying that, i often avoid and feel uncomfortable around overly girly guys that shower in glitter and drag queen at night. So I want to know all about you, how do u identify? What are your traits? And what is the larger portion of the gay comunity like?

Thank you so much.

2. lol, well both extremes of the gay "type" spectrum would make anyone uncomfortable, i'd imagine.

and TBH, MOST gay guys are usually exactly in between fem and masculine. meaning, they're like any other trope of the typical "straight male". some are more fem, passionate, while others are more gruff, rugged, etc. but that boils down to varying personalities to begin with.

me, personally, uh, i'm pretty fem awroighty rofl. but only enough to entertain myself and not to suffocate others with it

3. leer

I do tend to act more manly have straight friends & gay friends and quite like sports Pool exc I do have feminine side usually my finger nails always well manicured and have always
    taken pride in my appearance .

4. Minx

I don't think myself very masculine, or very feminine.

Just, sort of in the middle of blah. :slight_smile:

5. MichaelB

Well I have around 5 gay guy friends, and 2 of them are very masculine, 1 of them is very feminine and the other 2 are just 'typical' blokes.

I myself would identify as mostly masculine. My appearance is mostly masculine, my mannerisms are masculine, my interests/hobbies/music taste are masculine and my sense of humour is more to the 'masculine' side of things.

However I get on better with girls and I'm more open about emotions than the average bloke, so once people find out I'm bisexual and swing more to guys, it apparently makes sense... what ever that means.

I don't really identify with either masculine or feminine, but some were in between I suppose. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. BornInTexas

I'm not sure why people don't like hanging around very feminine men when they hang out with girls in the school. LOL. I'm not exactly feminine, but my masculinity isn't top notch either. I guess I am around the middle.

Out of the two gay men I know in real life, one is VERY feminine, and the other one is sort of in the middle, like me. I hang out with the girls in the school. There are a couple boys in my group, but I find myself uncomfortable around the average straight guy. I don't know what to talk about. =S. However, the things I enjoy doing appear masculine (listening to heavy metal, watching dumb t.v. shows on spike LOL, playing video games. IF THAT IS MASCULINE OR JUST THE AVERAGE BOY, IDK.) I'm not sure why most people don't know I'm gay already... >_>

7. Jordz

Average, not very masculine and not very fem.

8. TwoMethod

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't really know. I often find the people who think they are very masculine aren't exactly very masculine but just not overtly feminine. I had been talking over instant message with this guy who told me he was very masculine, but when we met up, he wasn't masculine at all. He had a load of gay mannerisms, and he dressed in a "gay" way too. He definitely wasn't feminine, but calling him manly would have been a stretch.

So, I'm not incredibly manly, and while I definitely have a few gay mannerisms, I do not think that I am feminine by any stretch of the imagination. But I don't think I can be objective, either!

9. Zontar

I identify as a rather feminine male who is attracted to masculine males. This is simply the only way I feel attractive. I could look like Hulk Hogan himself rolling in tons of pussy and I would just not feel appealing to my partners. The only way I can explain it is that I feel clueless about being attractive unless I'm the softer, more feminine partner. In that respect I'm naturally submissive, however I don't expressly identify as female.

10. Acobi

Acobi Guest

I find this to be quite true a lot of the time. There is a stigma being associated with feminine gay men as being less preferred than masculine gay men. Which, by no means is true. So people feel like they need to claim themselves as masculine all the way.

I myself feel somewhere in that gray middle area. I'm not outwardly gay at first glance, but my friends say they are never surprised to find out that I am gay. Meaning, I have a few feminine mannerisms that could lead people to think of my one way, but it is not completely obvious as I have a few masculine qualities as well.

11. Xochipilli

I know I lean towards the feminine side, because when some get to know me they start talking. Busybodies! :eusa_naug

12. BudderMC

How do I identify? I'm not raging-testosterone-masculine, I'm not glitter-shower-feminine, and I'm not exactly androgynous.

I guess you'd call me a "dude".

13. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would say I'm average, leaning slightly toward masculine.

14. Munyal

I'm somewhere in the middle. I want to go shopping with my friends a lot, but I'm also not wearing dresses and bedazzling everything. Maybe 3/5 feminine and 2/5 masculine?

15. AaronG

AaronG Guest

Somewhere in the middle. I'm definitely not masculine but i'm not obviously gay either. I look pretty straight at first.I have been called a diva due to my certain feminine mannerisms.

16. Gleeko0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd say somewhere in between, although I'm mostly "masculine" in 80% of the situations, most people can't tell if I am gay, sometimes I even take that as a curse >_>. I feel very uncomfortable between the average straight dudes, so I related more to girls and guys who don't fit the "average" straight dude type.

I have absolutely nothing against the "feminine" gay guys, there are quite a few on my class and they are awesome, but in the sense of dating/intimacy they are not my type. However, I'd hang around comfortably with the "fem" gays guys, or butch girls.

17. KTWK

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Exactly how I am.

18. Gekko

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think I am in the middle too but it is not strange to find femenine and masculine guys in the gay or straight sides. A good friend of mine can be really femenine at times and has some mannerisms that are considered gay but he's straight. Once our group of friends told me that if they got told someone of us is gay and they had to guess, he'd be the main suspect.

19. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Rather feminine.

20. TwoMethod

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Exactly. It is definitely the "desired" state to be masculine. I even find guys who are obsessed with buying clothes, wear really tight skinny jeans and kind-of-gay shoes claim to be masculine. It's kind of funny.

Yeah, when I tell people I'm gay, I come across two types of people: the ones who suspected it and weren't sure, and the one's who have absolutely no bloody idea. The ones who have no idea always surprise me, because even though I like to think of myself as masculine, I always tell myself that I can't be objective and that it would be natural for me to have some feminine characteristics.

According to my guidance counsellor, who is openly gay, 99 per cent of people wouldn't know I'm gay. But I think he's talking about teachers, because it's different when you spend a lot of time with students and stuff.