1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay boys who are friends with straight boys

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by GingerGuy, Feb 17, 2013.

1. GingerGuy

So, I've been reading through friendship threads since I got into EC, and I've slowly come to the conclusion that, in this case, the stereotypes are true. Most gay men and boys actually prefer the company of women in their friendship circles. I'm the exception. I have, I believe, 5 to 10 friends who I believe are my friends for real (there are many other people I like to be around at school, but I'm not close enough to them to consider the relationship a friendship), and, out of all of them, only one is a girl. I don't have anything against being friends with women, but I just get on well with boys better. Since my group of friends is mostly male, I can get into politically incorrect things girls wouldn't talk about, such as making jokes that are quite offensive, only to laugh at them later, or discussing who's the best rock band, etc.

Before you may ask, the vast majority of my straight male friends know that I'm gay by now. The only one I'm hesitating to come out to, on purpose, was my crush during many months. He has a girlfriend now and is happy with her, but of course I still have some scars left after moving on. The female friend I have is also great, and the best advantage is that I can talk to her about boys (and yes, sex as well) without scaring her off. I have already gotten into conversations about men with my straight (oh, one of them is bissexual, I forgot to mention) male friends, but only in private and not with a group.

So, is anyone here in a similar situation as me?

2. silkfrog1292

Hah my social life is nowhere near as exciting as you...

That aside, while I do somewhat conform to the stereotype that most of my friends are girls, my two best friends are guys and we do talk about a lot of stuff that's not appropriate around female company. However, since I'm not out to most of my friends yet, we don't get to talk about boys as much lol.

That bit about rock bands....it seems weird but my "musical soulmate" happens to be a girl, and essentially bands and music and crappy indie records are all we discuss about. So yeah, girls can rock pretty hard if they want to :slight_smile:

3. Munyal

I wish I had that level of trust with my male friends, but they are very immature and/or closed minded (thank you, midwest USA) so I only trust in my girlfriends. There are only two straight guys I know who wouldn't mind telling.

4. ForceAndVerve

I think you'd be surprised. 99% of my friends are straight guys (or at least I have no reason to believe otherwise). I spent 3 years living with 5 of my now closest mates during Uni. We all got along like a house on fire.

For the record they don't know I'm gay.

5. SkyDiver

I'm only close to 2 straight male friends and one of them is my crush.

6. photoguy93

I think that what you say is true......for anywhere that isn't a majority of the US/any conservative areas.

I do get along better with girls. Also, I really would just be interested in having sex with guys. I don't see the point of having them as friends, but maybe I'm just wrong.

But as some have said - conservative areas don't let this happen. It's not worth the struggle.

7. Thatoneguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    At least 85% of my friends are straight guys. That number used to be a lot higher as well, before I moved for uni I had very few female friends or gay male friends.

8. vyvance

I with the exception of a few people here on EC, I have no gay friends. There is only one girl I might could consider a friend, and we really only play Halo together. So, for the most part, all of my friends are straight guys. I'm out to all of them, and nothing at all has changed between us since I came out.

9. GingerGuy

Well, I am also pretty much only attracted to men, but it does not mean I will want to bang every guy I see. Also, if I can't seduce a straight man like many gays claim to be capable of, it's better to keep him as a friend than stop talking to him altogether. The boys from my social circle are only people who have the same interests and share a staring connection with me. Though I'll admit that I do fantasize about them. What stays in your mind does not hurt anybody ;-)

10. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like people of all stripes. Last night, I hung out with a bunch of single straight guys. Even went to the bar with them where some of them hit on some girls. The previous evening, I had dinner with a married couple, and I had lunch with a single gay guy. And I've recently made plans to have dinner with two single straight females. I really don't give it much thought. Either I click with people or I don't.

Lex

11. TARDISDude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't choose my friends based on gender, but most of them happen to be girls. About 10 out of 12 are girls.

12. leer

I have straight mates who know am gay it`s not really a problem few sarcastic comments but i dont have a problem I enjoy the banter between us.
    I have a few Gay mates one being my best friend tony they know I hang out with straight
    guys and dont really bother them. I dont socialize a whole lot with women some at work like sam who am quite close to I have never really crushed on my straight mates .

13. elitechris

I don't have a lot of guy friends to begin with. Usually they're gay. One friend is straight though but I think he's really in denial. He's super sweet and nice and really tye only person I could consider a best friend outside my gurls.
    I'm just super awk with straight guys. I either have a crush on them or don't want to alienate them.

14. Harve

I tend to click with girls more easily, but now it's very rare to encounter a guy that's even vaguely homophobic/wary, I don't notice too much difference.

I prefer going out with guys in a way, more funny shit seems to happen.

p.s. your title implies that gay guys that have straight friends are in the minority, which I find very hard to believe. Almost everyone has friendships with both genders, surely.

15. Darkrai

Darkrai Guest

Hmmm, you know I have a good mix of guy and girl friends.

Though I have been pretending to be straight for so long that I hit on most of the girls. But for the most part I feel more comfortable with the guys. It only gets awkward when they starting about chicks and I have to pretend (well for the most part).

16. Yeah I generally get on with girls best, but there are a few straight guys I know that are really love, and there's one in particular who I can talk to more than anyone about anything. He has all the same hobbies as me and sort of feels the same way about his sexuality as me. I fancy the pants off of him (well, I fancy the pants off of his personality) but yeah, it's all good.

I really really don't get on with gay guys though. I'm generally out as gay because most people wouldn't understand if I tried to explain, so as soon as a gay guy hears I'm gay, they suddenly enter this hugely competitive "I'm more gay than you" competition and it seriously annoys me.

17. jutwanahaveboys

Well, I have about five very close friends. One is a girl and the other four are guys. They all know by now that im gay, and out of those four straight male friends, two of them give me advice on my gay love life, even one of those two would be my wingman on finding dates, one of them notifies me when a gay party will be held, and always insitists I go because he thinks its good for me, he even photographs at those parties, and one of them is a biit homophobic and still getting used to the idea of having a gay best friend. He needs some work but hopefully he will be more open with time. As for my female friend, she is extremley supportive and bisexual her self.

18. sanguine

it depends, all my friends are guys on the exception of my best friend who happens to be a girl, and she only became my best friend when my ex best friend blamed me for stealing his girl friend even though he knew I was gay, I thought that was just an excuse to use to break up with her but he wasnt joking.

I tend to get along better with guys because they get me, women are also great too because I get a female opinion and that opens up alot of possibilities to the way I look at things, she also acts as a barrier to unwanted female attention also.

19. MixedNutz

I have both straight and gay male friends. I found when I was totally in the closet I kept more friends that were girls. Now that I'm coming out slowly most of my friends are either gay or straight males. However the ones I'm closer to now are gay.

20. RebelD

It's about 50/50 for me. My best friend is a guy(he's also my crush), but apart from him my other close friends are two girls and two guys.