1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sex orient/ sex pref

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Omla, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Omla

Does anyone have ideas about the definitions of sexual preference
    And sexual orientation?

2. sexual preference, often
    sexual orientation, lesbian.

jk jk :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    i cant think of a serious answer :confused:

3. Kay

Kay Guest

I think they are the same. The difference may come from the hetero mindset. They think we all make a choice so they want to call it a preference. We know it is not a choice so we call it our orientation and so there is the difference. But in all actuality they are the same. Hugs
    Oh flyinhernikes is correct as well OFTEN. yummy

4. LoganJaykob12

Out Status:
    Some people
    To me, sexual orientation means what you identify as (straight, gay, bi, pan, etc.) while sexual preference is what you prefer. I'll use me as an example. My sexual orientation is pansexual because gender doesn't matter to me. but my sexual preference is women.

5. Sinopaa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To me sexual preference is the type of person you prefer, while orientation is based on gender. When you say you are a lesbian you have identified your orientation. However, not all lesbians are attracted to the same kind of lesbian. There is a massive difference in being in a relationship with dom butch and a submissive femme. Someone who is a bi-sexual can find submissive, feminine partners to more attractive than masculine partners. In short, orientation is a general label; while preference refers to if you prefer masculine or feminine character traits. Hope that helps! ^_^

#5 Sinopaa, Feb 19, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Orientation is hardwired.

Preference is a preference.

In effect, they are almost always the same. The only exceptions I'm aware of are in rare cases where, for example, someone has a series of very negative experiences with a member of their preferred sex, so the fear of being with someone of that sex overcomes their natural orientation and they reach for someone who is the opposite of what their natural orientation is.

That's why a very, very few people who are "gay" are able to "turn straight" at the ex-gay places; because these are people who were never gay in the first place, but conditioned by fear or violence. This, however, is rare, and even when it does happen, the "preference" never overrides the orientation; the attraction to whatever sex is hardwired will still be there, and will still show itself during masturbation and other experiences, but the fear of being with someone of that sex will overcome the natural orientation.

By the way, this works in both directions; someone can be gay, but so badly hurt by someone of the same sex, that they'll reach for straight relationships, and with therapy, figure out they're gay... and vice versa.

ALL of these sorts of cases are very, very rare.

So, for example, someone who is gay by orientation, but has been

7. Eatthechildren

Both orientation and preference are out of your control (At least to me). Orientation is the whole spectrum of who you're attracted to (For me, that's all genders, sexes, etc, etc). Preference is who you are primarily attracted to.
    I have a slight preference to feminine (Not female, feminine) people. However, I am still attracted to non-feminine people, just slightly less on incident.

#7 Eatthechildren, Feb 19, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  8. Omla

Funny!

9. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My sexual preference is often, and my sexual orientation is "sure, why not?"

Not really sure what the difference between the two is. I think "sexual prefence" is a little bit more problematic language, because it treats monosexuals like they really aren't. As in "My sexual preference is other men, but I don't count women out." That's an extremely rare way for gay men to feel, although I supposed it's possible. It's an orientation, which in my opinion expresses more strongly the exclusivity of it. It's not a preference, it's just "I'm not attracted to women. I'm attracted to other men."

I think people also feel that "sexual preference" is politically bad for us because it implies we have a choice.

#9 Pret Allez, Feb 26, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  10. cm81990

cm81990 Guest

Possibly so. But we still don't know what causes it and the stability of sexual orientation over the course of one's life. Shifts in sexual orientation (e.g. straight to bi OR gay to bi) are rare but not impossible. Mostly this is due to spontaneous shifts naturally as opposed to therapy.

Orientation is heavily "gender" based. Which gender(s) are you attracted to?

- Everyone has an orientation (straight, gay, or bi)
    - Everyone has preferences (e.g. tall, short, muscular, fat, blonde, brunette, old, young, etc.)

Within bisexuality, gender can ALSO be a preference. For gays and straights, gender is NEVER a preference but they still have a sexual preference in terms of body types, hair colors, personality types, age, race, etc etc etc.

11. leer

sexual preference - preferred sex with men because am gay .

sexual orientation - am a gay man

I have to admit am not 100% sure what OP is getting at with this thread but then again maybe its just me .