1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's so important about virginity?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by birdsfly, Feb 19, 2013.

1. birdsfly

I am 22 and lost my virginity literally yesterday. I had plenty of opportunity and plenty of guys that wanted me to fuck them, but all my friends were like oh no I lost my virginity to a stranger and I wish I had lost it to someone special. So I waited, and honestly I now have no idea why that would be important. I was horny, I was in Manhattan, I met a guy and had fun with him for a couple hours. Felt rather happy about the experience and no regrets. Which makes me ask, what is so important?

#1 birdsfly, Feb 19, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  2. Minx

Memories.

Looking back years from now, that special/raunchy moment is remembered with tender fondness.

At least that's what I've heard. :slight_smile:

3. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    Heh. l lost mine unceremoniously at 17.

l agree, it really wasn't something tied to my identity or anything.

Now, l didn't lose mine in a completely slutty way, just casually. l think most people at least don't want it to be trashy experience and that makes sense.

4. whats important is your decision and opinion nevermind anyone elses.

5. leer

I was 17 when I lost mine I really should have waited a bit longer .

6. Pain

Pain Guest

It's a state of mind, and honestly, IMO, doesn't matter. Several people on here find the entire concept of virginity foolish.

7. photoguy93

I think it's something that you'll look back upon. Totally unrelated, but I went to private school for my high school years. I remember balling my eyes out and saying "I HATE THIS!" People told me that I would someday see how important it was. And I did.

Sometime, you'll probably go "you know what, I wish it was a little more romantic."

That being said, I agree with you. I don't see what's so special. I know that I will lose it to someone who I won't be with forever, because I know I want to play the field a little bit. Frankly, it's a lot of thought that should just be about something fun.

8. Oddish

Oddish Guest

Virginity is just a social construct.

9. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I lost mine at 17 to a guy. It was a pretty traumatic experience.

Not doing that again anytime soon! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

The next time I have sex I really do want it to be with someone I love though. I'm a hopeless romantic I guess~<3

10. 4AllEternity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I still got my v-card, I'm not really falling over myself to lose it. I personally don't really care about virginity, it doesn't really mean a lot to me. I don't see how having sex would make me a different person at all, unless I decided for it to. It might be a positive experience, but life changing? Nope.

It's probably because I just don't really view sex as very important in the first place. In a relationship, I would just be interested in spending time with the person, laughing together, and just being happy. Sex might be fun, but it's definitely not relationship defining to me.

11. Asari

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    good to hear you had a positive experience. I think i haven't "lost" mine yet because I have heard so many horror stories about loosing it and I come from a really conservative background. I'm terrified of getting stds.

12. CptnBeefheart

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    It's only valuable if it's important to you. Someone in my class was talking about how he wish he would have waited, mainly because of his newfound religious beliefs but it really wouldn't matter that much to me. I wouldn't whore myself out and the one who takes it might not be the "one" later on but it'll still be with someone I like.

13. needshelp

to each their own. for some people, sex is good no matter who it's with and for others, sex is only good if it's with someone they like. you might be the former, i guess.

14. jaysuss

Well it is kinda of like society's way of saying you just lost all of your innocence! Congrats! I don't really think it is a big deal because it isn't like you are going to grow a new limb or something unless you created some crazy std.

15. It doesn't matter. Only time it does is when you get hit with a pregnancy (which I'm pretty sure doesn't apply to us).

16. Eatthechildren

Virginity is a stupid concept :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

17. All Star

All Star Guest

I lost my virginity a few days ago, and I will always remember it as a special moment in my life. We were both ready for it, and we are good friends. I don't think when you lose it is a big a deal as everyone in our society makes it out to be...

18. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Virginity exists to stigmatize the sexually inexperienced. Apparently, there is a lot of power in that.

19. silkfrog1292

I'm not really looking for one purposely either. I personally don't see it as anything special, and so if the moment arises and i'm comfortable with the person i'm doing it with, i wont really have a problem with it.

But that said, I wouldn't purposefully go out and hook up with someone just so that I lose my virginity. I always think stuff like this should happen naturally, and should not be pressured into.

20. Bree

The only thing important about it is making sure it's with someone who can guide you through a positive first sexual experience--take their time, etc.

I had mine for what was, to me, an annoyingly long time. I was already twenty, which isn't exactly old. What was annoying about it was that I lost the sense of innocence that the word implies years earlier, and so my v-card felt more like a dead weight I was dragging around than something special. My feelings afterwards were along the lines of "thank god that's over".

I think for as long as you feel innocent and pure, go ahead and wait for something special. If you don't feel "virginal" than there's really no reason to wait.