1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Outing politicians.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SupremeEmperor, Feb 19, 2013.

1. As we all know outing someone else is majorly uncool. If you know someone's gay and they want to stay "in" you leave them there. What about politicians? What if there's this guy and he's running for Congress in a Deep South state and to appeal to his backwater constituents he uses the most anti-gay rhetoric imaginable (sodomites, threat to society, etc.), what if he's secretly gay? If you know he's gay do the normal rules about outing apply? Can you out him specifically? If so where do you draw the line? Personally I'd say it's ok in this one instance but I'm not sure.

2. jaysuss

Well if you are not directly involved in the politics you could sell some information to the opposing candidate so they could sling some mud and bring up a whole debate. If it was me I wouldn't make it a large scale outing or any at all because we all know what it is like when people do that to us and how heart wrenching it is. So if you are feeling heartless I would sell the info! Then again since he is supporting anti-gay legislature you should sell the information anyway so it is a win win.

3. photoguy93

I'd be the person who would just happen to drop a picture in the mail, sending it "accidentally" to the other candidate. But, it would have to be for a really big offense. If they just talked shit about gays, I'd be like "what's new?" But if it was something really really really really bad, then I think all bets are off. It just has to be timed right. People are weird.....

4. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I personally don't think outing politicians is the right thing to do.

5. Eatthechildren

I don't believe in outing anyone, ever. No matter who they are.

6. Ticklish Fish

big question is 1) are you his friend? acquaintance? 2) does he have money?

7. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ah, the ethics of outing. I come down very firmly on the side that says, yes, you can and are in fact morally required to out homophobic politicians.

8. photoguy93

:eusa_clap (be happy, everyone, I finally took the initiative to use a smile. :slight_smile:

This isn't about outing a politician. For example, Cory Booker (Mayor of Newark.) He's one of the greatest guys around. I adore him. If he's gay (which I know some think he is) then I want him to be able to take his time. He does so much for this world. He's smart, and if the time was right, he would take it. I'd be good and mad if someone tried to take that from him. It gets tricky because a lot of people say "but he could make an example..." I know - I'm one of them. But it's different - he's so LGBT friendly.

That being said ------- when it's someone who wants to strip away my rights or say things about me that aren't even true, then the gloves are off. It has to be credible and it has to be done right. But if they are that homophobic and are in the closet, it's time they came out, no matter if we are the ones who are given the opportunity to do it. (That would be the way, though - like, if you went into a gay bar one day and found some politician.)

9. Eatthechildren

If we're allowed to out certain people, who are we not allowed to?
    I've been in the position where someone I trusted has tried to tell people about my sexuality. Sure, it was awful and traumatic for me, and all of you can recognise what that girl did was wrong. But you know what? To that person, it was perfectly logical. My dignity didn't mean shit to her. I deserved it in her eyes.

What I'm trying to say is that whether or not someone "Deserves it" is subjective. So no, outing someone is always wrong, and if you do it, you're a horrible person.

10. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    all is fair in politics to me. lf l had reason to believe it l would (assuming l'm another politician at odds with him).

11. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think it's our place to "out" a politician under any circumstance. However, I think a candidate or a politician has an obligation to disclose their sexuality. They're representing people that helped get them elected; therefore, they need to be as transparent to the people they are representing as possible.

When you're in public office, you can't withhold any information.

12. Gen

Gen

I agree that outing someone in general is a slippery slope, but in all honesty I believe that you should reap what you sow. Coming out is not naturally sacred. The weight that is put on it is a result of homophobia and bigotry, so if they choose to pour acid in the drinking water they should have to drink it.

I think an overall horrible person is a little drastic.

13. if the politician is a homophobic politician of course! means he/she lied to voters everywhere and tried to tear down the LGBT community.

14. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Your argument seems to be that some people have bad justification, therefore outing is always wrong. I don't find this to be compelling.

15. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is absolutely tempting to expose hypocrisy against someone who is bigoted and in power, I truly understand that.

I remember a time here in Montreal, several decades ago, when spokespersons for the LGBT community said that they will out a certain number of prominent persons every day if they didn't get what they wanted (I can't remember their objective, unfortunately).

It got considerable comment in the press, and ultimately did not provide for a favourable opinion of the LGBT community. In other words, it's a double-edged sword. Indeed, clear-cut cases of bigoted politicians is one thing, but using outing as a weapon for certain narrow and less clear political objectives...a slippery slope.

They didn't in the end do it, which in a way made it worse, a black eye for a community that didn't need this, and no change to the policies that oppressed them at the time.

16. I agree, I think you said it best with the drinking water thing.

---------- Post added 20th Feb 2013 at 09:09 AM ----------

I'd also like to note that someone with poor judgement is unlikely to play by the normal rules of ethics. Ergo adjusting our standards to adjust for those with poor judgement is illogical.

17. Last Gentleman

While I'm very tempted to say yes. The answer can only be NO.
    As others have said, where do you draw the line?

If he is gay, yet he's supporting anti-gay legislation then he's effectively saying he doesn't like who he is or he's willing to punish and restrict his lifestyle in order to stay in power.

That being said, as a public figure, anything he does in the eyes of the public is free to use. You get a picture of him holding hands with another man, then use it. If he wants to stay in the closet, he'd better keep his hands in his pockets until he gets home (or to the seedy motel).

18. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's extremely easy to draw the line. The politician either supports homophobic policies or not. The politician makes overtly homophobic remarks or not.

19. AKTodd

Hrm. As described this...person...is actively trying to gain or maintain political power by publicly advocating/legislating trying to hurt me, my loved ones, my friends, and in a general sense 'my people'.

No. No stinking way. Out the sucker.

It is one thing for a politician to be closeted but otherwise just doing their thing. It is quite another to be closeted and actively trying to hurt me and mine. For that matter it is quite another for anyone to be actively trying to hurt me and mine, and I don't care what their orientation or out status is or isn't.

No mercy, no pity, no compassion, no excuses.

Todd

20. FemCasanova

No, I think if the only way you can win in politics is by outing and causing emotional harm to someone, then you ought to think twice about how good your own politics actually are, if that`s your only chance to win. I am a fan of the fair fight, and just because some jack-ass plays dirty, doesn`t mean I would. And I don`t think it`s okay to take away someone`s chance to come out themselves, and accept their sexuality on their own terms. People harm themselves over less. You expose him, he feels his career is busted, he cannot deal with the fact that suddenly everyone knows, his wife might leave him, and before you know it, you have a life on your conscience. It`s not okay. Politicians might be bullies and a**-wipes, but we should not lower ourselves down to their level.