1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Age you came out and age you are attracted to

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Paul_UK, Nov 10, 2006.

1. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I read somewhere ages ago someone's theory about how the age you come out affects the age of guys you are attracted to. The thinking was that you "lose" the years between adolescence and the age you come out. So if, like me, you come out when you are 26 you lose the 13 years between adolescence (say 13) and the coming out age. So you will be attracted to guys around 13 years younger (as a centre age - with a spread a few years either way).

Being 42 this would make me attracted to guys around 29, give or take a few years. That's not too far out, though it would be more likely to be mid/late 20s than early 30's.

For me I think the age difference has remained reasonably constant - when I first came out I was attracted to teenagers.

I was wondering whether this theory applies to anyone else. or whether I just remembered it because it seemed to fit with me.

2. I came out when I was 20, but I tend to be more attracted to older guys, so the thing doesn't seem to apply to me.

3. suburbs_of_sodom

Northern Virginia...neither here nor there
    Wait, so does that mean when you first come out to everyone or just to the very first person you told? If the latter is true then I'd be attracted to guys 13-14 since I came out to my best friend when I was 16 (I'll be 17 in about a month :slight_smile:). But that seems kind of weird because I'm generally attracted to anyone who's 15-40ish max (I'm sorry, but Ben Browder is REALLY hot). Oh, well...I guess that theory would really come into fruition when you're 20 or so...or if there's a larger gap between when you came out and the beginning of adolescence.

4. Micah

I'm going have a guess and say that the "beginning of adolescence" isnt a definite 13 years of age. I'd assume that it'll be talking about an age range from 12-15 years. So those who come out while under the age of 16 for example, wouldn't be too affected by the "rule". But that's just my take on it. I mean I dont really think many 18 year olds that come at at that age are attracted to guys 5 years younger (13 year olds) - atleast not enough for a dead-set 'rule' or guideline.

5. step49x

I came out when I was 18 (ok, about 4 months ago or so). I'd say that right now, I prefer people that are maybe 3-4 years different in either direction.

6. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I just used 13 as an approximate figure for adolescence - anything from 12 to 16 years could cover it. But even if this is a valid theory (which I doubt now) it would only give an approximate centre age.

I think for people who come out (to themselves) in their teens there aren't enough "lost years" for it to have any relevance.

I posted the same thing over at ###, which has a wider age-range of members, and most of the responses have suggested that it is rubbish.

7. ampthejazz

I came out a couple months ago, so about 17. I'm attracted to people my age, give or take a few years. For the most part, anyway.

8. cyclopsrock

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    As a 15-year-old, it would be kind of weird for me to like younger guys. I like older guys and guys my age.

9. Half-Light

I came out to a couple people a couple months ago and I am 14...I have never really been attracted to guys yunger than me but by like a year yunger...I am more attracted to guys my age and up...I like older guys just because I think they are hotter for some reason...

10. cyclopsrock

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Older guys are hotter half-light. *sigh* I <3 beautiful teachers. especiall between the ages of 20 and 25.

11. Half-Light

omg...there are so many hot guy teachers at our school...lol...there is this one new teacher in my school and I see him in the hallways and in info pro doing stuff...he's been like showing up everywhere in my life and it is really weird..lol...my cousin who i am out to thinks he is gay...he's young and he has a big...but nice...butt...he's really cute too!...but the first time i met him was in the info pro class, and i was at a computer and he was working at a table in the front of the class facing towards the row of computers I was in and a couple of times he looked at me and i looked at him and it was really awkward...ad then I saw him at McDonalds the other day with his mother...lol...he apparently lives with her...lol...so its really weird...lol

12. Gaz89

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I dont really understand what your on about, lol. But im not out and im attracted to older guys as in older i mean over 30. LOL i dont know why, but thats what does it for me :wink:.

13. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm 19, and out to my friends. I told my best friend last year... and I'm definitely not attracted to 5 year old boys. In fact, I prefer guys 18-25, especially those older than myself. For example, my boyfriend is 22.

Therefore, that theory doesn't fit with me.

14. Will1975

Will1975 Guest

I am not out yet, still working on that one.. Anyways. I am attracted to 22-28 y/o guys.. I am 31... So I don't know how the math works.. I'll let one of you figure that out if you would like..

15. tinkerbell

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I've known I was gay since first grade. I didn't tell my parents I liked girls until I was fourteen, and I was attracted to girls my age. Teens.
    Not now.
    Now, whenever I get into a relationship, it's technically hebestophelia. Yeah. Y'all read that there word right. I'm in my late teens, will be legal real soon. That's why any relationship I get into could be illegal.
    In case I'm not making sense: I date women who are at least one year older than me. Preferably four, five or six years older than me. The largest age rift I ever had was nine years between us and we couldn't even say, "I think you are pretty" because she would have gotten arrested. It's a long story I won't tell.

I got a bit wrapped up in this post...I disagree with the age thing. I like women who are older than me, if only by a bit. I'm looking for someone my own age for the first time in years, though. It's a difficult process.

16. WarmHeart

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I feel like such a dinosaur when we talk about age. Hmmm. I'm 47. The last time I actually was with another woman I was 32 and she was 25.:icon_sad: As I've aged, so has my taste in women. I think I'm most comfortable around people from my generation or up to ten years older, though I admit, at my age we are all showing signs of wear and tear. :bang: I can't say that I think very highly of you theory. There are many other reasons people have for having an age "type." For me, I find that being a liberal Baby Boomer gives me a unique outlook on life and sex that affects all aspects of my life and love and life is just less complicated if my intimate affairs start out on equal footing that way.

Other reasons might be early crushes on or positive relationships with teachers, babysitters, friends of the family, etc., that might lead a person to be attracted toward an older person of a similar body type or personality to that memory.

Kind of goes back to that wonderful adage, "There's no accounting for taste."

WarmHeart

17. cicero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I "came out" (to the extent that I came out) when I was 21; according to the theory, I "lost" 8 or so years and should be attracted to guys about 8 years younger. I'm 26 now, and it's true that I can appreciate a hot 18-year-old. However, in looking for guys to date, I find that I like guys who are at least out of undergrad. In that sense, I generally find myself attracted to the 21 to 29 range... So I'm afraid that the theory doesn't really apply to me. :wink: